Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Familiar with the airbag resistor? Help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 08:20 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by haygeebaby
Trying to fool my airbag system as well - after reading all the information on the forums. I used a 2.7 1/4w resistor. For the passenger side - I had a spare airbag connector hanging around - so I just soldered a resistor on and taped it up with electrical tape. For the drivers side, I bent the wire ends to fit into the airbag plug. Took the car to the garage to have the light reset - but it didn't work. Dam ! If it had worked I would have posted pictures for you boys.

Will do some more research and report back when I get it working. But if someone can confirm that it works and has pics - please post.
this thread is back from the dead.
having a hard time believing that we are still paying $35+ for a 2.8ohm resistor with connectors on the ends.

anyone have success with a DIY heathkit job?

cheers

Craig
Old 09-15-2009, 04:06 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to veer off topic but I'm interested in temporarily disabling the passenger side airbag. It sound like it's the same thing but has anyone done it? I'm thinking you could actually use a switch that switches out the airbag for the resistor and back again as needed. Project anyone?
Old 09-15-2009, 05:05 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 286 Posts

Guys, I know I may be "preaching to the choir" here, but just a word of caution: Most service manuals will tell you to disconnect the battery and wait a certain number of minutes b4 messing with the airbag circuitry. If you've never seen an airbag go off, take it from someone who's experienced it up close and personal, it ain't pretty, can cause serious injury or death and will mess up your interior so bad, you'll think somebody started a war!
Old 09-15-2009, 10:43 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

anything like setting off a fire extinguisher in the car? now that stuff is brutal
Old 09-15-2009, 11:14 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 286 Posts

Chris-
Very similar to a CO2 (acrid white powder all over everything) but with loud explosion that will make your ears ring for quite awhile and, if not wearing a full face helmet, will cause serious facial skin abrasion. If I were a small woman or man slight of build who sits up close to the steering wheel, I would petition to have it legally disconnected.
Stan
p.s.: BTW, were you at VIR this past week-end or are you coming to CMP in a couple of weeks?
Old 06-29-2010, 06:10 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

what is the final call here on disabling the air bag warning lights when going to a non airbag wheel?

Quick Reply: Familiar with the airbag resistor? Help?