Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Familiar with the airbag resistor? Help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 01:09 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Familiar with the airbag resistor? Help?

So I did a good bit of searching last night but came up dry. I am going to be installing a new airbagless MOMO wheel with a quick relelase and need help. What I did learn is that a resistor can be placed in place of the D.S. airbag to fool the system into thinking its still there. Question is......where does the resistor go? No one really went over that part. All that seemed consistant was the use of a 2.9 ohm 1/4 W resistor that could be had at RadioShack. Can someone enlighten me as to how (and where) to install it? It was also mentioned that the entire sys could be bypassed throught the pass. side cover on the hump.....a jumper or something, but I want the pass side to work so thats not an option.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:38 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Chris, among other things I believe you'll need an L-shaped horn contact from the dealer. I would be very interested in teh details of your install as I'm planning to do the same. Specifically, whether yoi used Momo 7004 hub.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:01 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I just did my Momo non-airbag wheel install yesterday. First I'll assume you've searched extensively. See below for the posts that I found most useful. There's no single post that explains it all, but here are some answers to your questions.

1. You'll have to remove the huge clock spring mechanism under the OEM wheel. It has 4 wires attached to it, that run to 2 orange connectors. I snipped these wires between the clock spring and the orange connectors, although I couldn't figure out how other people did it. Then I wired in my resistor (which I bought for $30 from airbagonoff.com to avoid any issues) to the two green (&purple?) wires I just snipped.

2. The PITA was the wiring for the horn. The horn gets power from that 964 part you must install (no ground needs to be wired in). But that 964 part doesn't have any power until you wire up its post somehow from behind. Specifically, you must take the brown & white wire you just snipped and wire it into the post of the 964 part that you just installed. I used a butt connector jammed onto the post of the 964 part. See link below.

This thread was useful but didn't address the horn issue:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/12539-so-you-want-to-change-your-steering-wheel-to-a-non-airbag-race-wheel-long-dyi.html

This thread explained the horn wiring but nothing else:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/226045-need-help-with-momo-rs-wheel-horn-wiring.html

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
--Eric
Old 12-28-2005, 07:34 PM
993inNC
Race Car

I thought I had read somewhere that the clock spring could stay with the Momo setup......no? I don't really want to snip anything, I want to keep everything stock and returnably <word? altered. I think Mark in Balt. said something about those connectors running down the steering column and into the drivers side panel somewhere. Can I simply plug a 2.9 ohm 1/4W resistor into that connector once I find the connection? Whats the difference between that resistor and the thing you guys have bought for $30?
Old 12-28-2005, 09:51 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993inNC
I thought I had read somewhere that the clock spring could stay with the Momo setup......no? I don't really want to snip anything, I want to keep everything stock and returnably <word? altered. ...
Perhaps there are some Momo wheels where that's possible, but I can't imagine it. Maybe the RS wheel? I didn't want to cut wires either but I only saw one alternative: buy a couple connectors that would fit with the orange connectors. But I have no idea how you'd find such a connector.

... Can I simply plug a 2.9 ohm 1/4W resistor into that connector once I find the connection? ...
I didn't see an easy reliable way to hook into the connector. Like I said, if you can find a similar connector, please post details!

...Whats the difference between that resistor and the thing you guys have bought for $30?
I doubt there's any difference. The thing I bought was ~2" long and tubular, didn't look like a resistor but seemed to be just a resistor judging by the reading from my VOM (sorry i don't know what number it read). I read of somebody getting an airbag warning light so I figured I'd rather spend the money than take the chance screwing it up since there seemed to be that risk.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:39 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Eric, so, are there any connectors on that $30 contraption?
Old 12-28-2005, 11:05 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Perhaps there are some Momo wheels where that's possible, but I can't imagine it. Maybe the RS wheel? I didn't want to cut wires either but I only saw one alternative: buy a couple connectors that would fit with the orange connectors. But I have no idea how you'd find such a connector.

I didn't see an easy reliable way to hook into the connector. Like I said, if you can find a similar connector, please post details!

I doubt there's any difference. The thing I bought was ~2" long and tubular, didn't look like a resistor but seemed to be just a resistor judging by the reading from my VOM (sorry i don't know what number it read). I read of somebody getting an airbag warning light so I figured I'd rather spend the money than take the chance screwing it up since there seemed to be that risk.
I was on their site, did you buy the switch thing that shuts off the airbag? The site didn't seem to clear. Do you have any pics of what you bought? And as Nile said, are there connectors on what ever it is you bought? I need some visuals here
Old 12-28-2005, 11:26 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

I was on their site, did you buy the switch thing that shuts off the airbag? The site didn't seem to clear. Do you have any pics of what you bought? And as Nile said, are there connectors on what ever it is you bought? I need some visuals here
Nah, I just bought the resistor. Call them up, and it'll only take 1 minute and they'll mail it to you. What you get is very disappointing; it's just a 2" long tubular widget (0.25" diam) covered in heat shrink tubing, with a piece of 4" wire coming out of each end. No connectors or nuthin. Wish I would have measured the resistance so nobody else would have to get ripped off. But OTOH, I'm not getting an airbag light.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:35 PM
993inNC
Race Car

What would it take to beg you to measure it oh great one?????
I hate thinking about paying 30 bucks for a 2 dollar part.....kinda similar to buying that stupid wing control box for $350 or whatever it was, when you could simply unplug the factory control box!
Old 12-29-2005, 12:19 AM
hutch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is very simple, you don't have to cut anything. Buy some .062 molex male connectors from a electronics store, connect the resistor at each end to the connectors and plug into the orange connector. Be sure and shield the exposed wire from the resistor, I used heat shrink. You can also use the connectors to wire the hot wire to the horn. Take the Porsche horn contact with you to the electronics store and purchase the proper size connector, as I can't remember the size. It's much better to plug the connector into the prong before you insert the horn contact in place. My horn contact makes a annoying noise when you turn the wheel, does anyone else have this problem?
Old 12-29-2005, 09:36 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Hutch, so if I am understanding.....you are making a little fused jumper type device to connect to the factory plug, except the fuse is instead a resistor? Did you buy this little $30 gadget, or did you make your own? What size resistor if you made your own?
Old 12-29-2005, 09:42 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chris, I don't think Hutch is mentioning fuses anywhere. He's using resistor with Molex (tm) connectors (pins) on either end so wires don't need to be cut.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:19 AM
hutch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made my device with a 2.7 ohm resistor.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:06 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

What would it take to beg you to measure it oh great one?????
I hate thinking about paying 30 bucks for a 2 dollar part.....kinda similar to buying that stupid wing control box for $350 or whatever it was, when you could simply unplug the factory control box!
LOL, sorry but it's installed so I can't measure it. I did *try* to measure it, but I lost my alligator clips so I couldn't get a consistent reading. It was definitely 2.x ohms. I like Hutch's idea about getting some molex connectors, but that could be kind of a hassle. If anyone does it, please post the specs on what parts you bought.

Hutch-
I'm also getting an annoying noise when I turn the wheel away from center. I haven't taken everything apart yet to try to diagnose it, but it's got to go. I'll post results if I figure it out.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:51 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Well thanks for the effort anyway Eric......if you find those clips......hook a brotha up?

Quick Reply: Familiar with the airbag resistor? Help?