Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Anybody ever get a "bird dog" when a friend bought a car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 12:00 PM
sirbob
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you plan ahead to bring in a prospective customer that could / does buy a car and get a spiff for doing it great! I'm all for it.

To go back after the fact and try to pimp a fee when you really had nothing to do with the sale other than being in the right place at the right time...well that jus' dont seem right to me...
Old 12-19-2005, 12:04 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

If it were me, I wouldn't worry about the bird dog fee. It's not like you specifically brought your friend to the mechanic to see the car. The sale happened to be a matter of luck and coincidence. Like the others, I have referred countless people to my mechanic, but have never asked for a referral fee (although that 993 cup car sitting in the corner might be a fine bargaining chip. Hmmmmm.).

I know a customer referral is not the same as a car sales referral. Perhaps now or in the future, you can ask your mehanic what is his policy regarding referrals from car sales? In this way, you might be able to deal with the present issue at hand, as well as future transactions.

WRT to Ray, not all of his posts are derogatory, but, when they are, he'll come flying into a thread, machine guns blazing, killing some, maiming others, never to be see in that thread again for so much as a one word response. He knows he's being a d*ck and, I would bet good money on it, could care less that we think.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 12-20-2005 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:19 PM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

Ray's just welcoming you to the club. You'll get to used to his comments. I got a "cheapo" comment from him on one of my earliest postings. He also knows a thing or two on these cars and can have knowledgeable things to say.

Personally, it's always nice for someone to be just open and frank with what they think and you can take it for what it is, rather than have someone being nice upfront only to stab someone in the back. Ray will always tell you that the Emperor has no clothes. Whether that's true or not, can sometimes vary but at least you know what he thinks.

I would just deal with it like an adult and move on, rather than getting into a endless name calling thread. You asked for an opinion and got one. You didn't say it had to be nice, polite, or even truthful. If you don't want Ray Calvo comments, don't ask for any (or at least say, "comments except from Ray").
Old 12-19-2005, 01:01 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mcuozzo
And look at it this way - If you are at work, church, or whereever and you are having a conversation with a stranger would you ever call him a moron? If you do you should expect some similiar type of response. And in my mind that first response is what is wrong with society, that it is accepted. And yes everyone would loose if that became the excepted norm.
i agree with this. this is indeed a fascinating conversation- both about whether it's ok to invoice the seller for the referral, and about dealing with the socially inept. with regards to the miserable bastards on this board, i feel like the behavior is not accepted. people jump all over rudeness- and should. i just think that in this case, and many others, calvo chimed-in to fire-ball the conversation.

remember- the question was: 'hey guys, i have an idea...what do you think of it?' to respond with "i think YOU'RE a moron" is not something that can be responded to. the dude was running an idea past a community of individuals whom share at least some of the same interests. not a stupid question for sure- and certainly no reason to be classified as a moron. i was the first to respond, and negitively to boot. but even though i don't like the proposed idea and thought it might be trouble, i'm not sure i can positively conclude that this individual is dumb.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:25 PM
mcuozzo
Instructor

I'm telling you the funniest/most annoying thing is that Ray insulted Carrer4s for the wrong reason.

Geez, I've got a personality similiar to Ray's, and I was so tempted to just respond "Get it right jackass, he's asking for the kickback from the dealer". But since I don't know Ray and really didn't want a long messy thread to start, I refrained. Silly me. Now that I know I can get away with comments like this LOOK OUT!!!
Old 12-19-2005, 01:53 PM
1996 Carrera4S
Advanced

Originally Posted by mcuozzo
Traffic53,

I really think what carrer4s means is this (carrer4s correct me if I'm wrong) - if those of us who can stand up to the bullies doesn't, then that makes for a terrible world. History is full of examples of this.

And in my mind that first response is what is wrong with society, that it is accepted. And yes everyone would loose if that became the excepted norm.
That's spot on. In principle, it makes no difference if you're on an internet forum or on your front porch. It's only a matter of degree. Not to mention the damage done to yourself,in your own eyes, wether consciously or subconsciously, when you let someone walk over you, without response.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:26 PM
cooz
Pro

if this is your mechanic making the sale/profit, then it would be appropriate for him to take of you somehow....probably by extending himself in the future with service for you.

why don't you politely ask your mechanic if he can offer you a referral fee in the future when you refer a client....this should tell him what you want him to know.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:08 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Anir wrote
" Please just stop for a second and ask yourself if you would say that to a fellow Rennlister if he was standing right in front of you."
I would let him know he was a dick and if he pushed the point I'd take the appropriate action to help him understand that I will not tolerate insults or rude comments.

Anir, you can stand and let others insult you but if you're anything like me and don't treat people the way Ray does, you would not stand for being treated that way either.

I have turned the other cheek in the past and was slapped on the otherside too many times to think that's an effective way to deal with dicks.

My 02C.......ZP44
Old 12-19-2005, 09:21 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

How many people here switched to Porsches from motorcycles because their skirts kept flying up over their heads?
Old 12-19-2005, 10:25 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

What is amazing is that people thought this kind of crap would end when some of the "old guard" left.

If you think you deserve a bird dog fee then ask for it! Grow some stones or put it to bed.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:26 AM
1996 Carrera4S
Advanced

Most of my posts in this thread had to do with defending myself, explaining why someone should defend themself, explaining why I posed the question in the first place and clarifying that I didn't expect anything, but was curious how the practice of dealer appreciation may or may not apply in my case. Seeking further information about something has nothing to do with "stones". I don't know to what kind of "crap" you are referring. Possibly threads in which people exchange ideas rather than talk only about nuts and bolts are "crap" to you and unwelcome. Judging by the number of people who took the time to explain their opinions about the original subject or that of forum rudness/politeness, some found the discussion interesting.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:09 AM
Bogwan
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The simple fact that your friend wouldn't even know the vehicle existed if you had not needed to go down there, shows that you are one of the major reasons they are going to sell that vehicle to him. The only moron would be the dealership that didn't have the common sense to reward one of it's most loyal customers for continuing to do business with them, and recommending them and the products they have displayed to his/her friends.

As for the other subject being bantered about on this thread, there are obviously different ways to get one's points across to others, I prefer the ladder method. Treat people good on your way up the business/social ladder, because you may need their help on the way down.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:05 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
What is amazing is that people thought this kind of crap would end when some of the "old guard" left.
So you admit that certain users are @ssholes for the sake of being complete @ssholes? What's the point? Nobody expects this place to be kumbaya-central but at the same time I don't come here to have a drink dumped on me (for lack of a better analogy).
Old 12-20-2005, 08:43 AM
wht993cabrio
Addict
Rennlist Member

Carrera4s....your friend got a good car, your mechanic may get some future business, the dealer profited on the sale. If the dealer wants to kick you something back, then Merry Christmas. I see no harm in it.

If a friend refers you to his/her company and you get hired, he/she in many cases would get a referral fee of up to $500. You got a new job and SHOULDN'T expect to get any part of the $500. If your friend decides to split it, then great. But if not, you're still good.

So, if you get the kickback from the dealer, it really is up to you what you do with it. Life is too short to waste cycles on this one.

As for some of the unwarranted attacks....just move on.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:25 AM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
So you admit that certain users are @ssholes for the sake of being complete @ssholes? What's the point? Nobody expects this place to be kumbaya-central but at the same time I don't come here to have a drink dumped on me (for lack of a better analogy).
An "old guard" member once told me Rennlist is akin to a bar. You walk in and see several conversations going on. If you sit down and join in on one and start mouthing off, be prepared to defend yourself or get your *** kicked.

It's cowards who throw "sucker shots" at people, then flee the room for fear of the ensuing battle.

Matt.....good Karma you've created by helping your friend and mechanic put the E55 deal together. If either of them don't recognize it....no biggie. What comes around goes around and it'll be your turn soon enough.

Quick Reply: Anybody ever get a "bird dog" when a friend bought a car?