Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Anybody ever get a "bird dog" when a friend bought a car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 11:18 PM
1996 Carrera4S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When we walk away from bullies, everybody loses. I'm curious why you didn't choose to censure him.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:35 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your mechanic does offer you a "bird dog" IMHO the right thing to do is to offer to give it to your friend; if your friend tells you to keep it as a token of his thanks then there are no ethical or moral issues since you've fully disclosed.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:40 PM
1996 Carrera4S
Advanced

My friend had suggested that I pay for a night out on the town if my mechanic offered me any money, which sounded like a pretty good way to celebrate his new ride!
Old 12-18-2005, 11:53 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Isnt it called a "blue bird"? I dont think you should ask for anything. If he decides to send you a couple of bucks, sweet. If not, no big deal.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:56 PM
Bogwan
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the dealership's sales department perspective, they would rather give their advertising dollars to their good customers for bringing in their friends. This means the world to the dealer, because it means the customer trusts them with not only their business but also with their friends. These dollars are, in most cases, figured into the bottom line as advertising.

Their return on this type of advertising is hundreds of time more effective than convention media, and obviously very easy to track. If word of mouth worked 100% of the time, the dealer would enjoy an exponential groth in customers, and the reverse would happen to thier advertising budget. It's a true win-win-win situation.

You are not 'trying to make a profit on your buddy', the money will either go to the dealers bottom line, advertising, or you, so take them up on it. There is nothing wrong with throwing your dealer a phone call and ask if they have some kind of a referal program before you head down to show your friend the car, or asking the sales personel when you get there. If you feel guilty about it, do as was said earlier, offer it to your buddy, split it with him, or take them to a great dinner in their new vehicle.

Just my .02.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:29 AM
mcuozzo
Instructor

Yes the dealer should give you something in return.
Yes if it's monetary it should be spent on a night out with your buddy.

And for the record, I would say something along the lines of what carrera4s said, if somebody called me a moron. I whole heartedly agree with the points carrers4s made as well. Why doesn't anyone censure Ray, he's made these posts before, and to me they are rude. Why is his rudeness tolerated? Because he's got more posts? Anir made the point that these are how these types of exchanges are started but he pointed the finger at the wrong party. Carrera4s asked for opinions, not to be insulted. And to top it all off, Ray didn't even understand the question. He didn't want money from his friend, just the dealer.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:38 AM
1996 Carrera4S
Advanced

Originally Posted by mcuozzo
Yes the dealer should give you something in return.
Yes if it's monetary it should be spent on a night out with your buddy.

And for the record, I would say something along the lines of what carrera4s said, if somebody called me a moron. I whole heartedly agree with the points carrers4s made as well. Why doesn't anyone censure Ray, he's made these posts before, and to me they are rude. Why is his rudeness tolerated? Because he's got more posts? Anir made the point that these are how these types of exchanges are started but he pointed the finger at the wrong party. Carrera4s asked for opinions, not to be insulted. And to top it all off, Ray didn't even understand the question. He didn't want money from his friend, just the dealer.
Thanks mcouzzo, After that well reasoned and honest post, I think you deserve an electronic bird dog!

Greg B., thanks for your professional inisight. It helps to know that this kind of thing is standard practice.

Cheers

Last edited by 1996 Carrera4S; 12-19-2005 at 12:58 AM.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:09 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a wild guess, but I think Anir was reacting to the reference to "Italian for ..." and "Good luck with that Tourette's Syndrome ... ." Perhaps he thought some might take offense, interpreting those comments as an ethnic slur & as trivializing a serious condition.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:30 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 681 Likes on 406 Posts

Anyhoo, back to the original question. Bird dog fees vary from dealer to dealer and it goes from zero to alot, depending on the dealer and their policy. Heck, I'd wager that some mechanics selling cars on the side aren't even aware of the custom. Maybe making that arrangement with the mechanic for future sales might make it palatable for you AND him. Figure that it's a little late in the game to collect a fee on any sales to this point, though. I'd be up-front with close friends on any fees collected from their purchases. Probably wouldn't need to divulge details, but "Hey, he slips me a few bucks when I refer someone- how 'bout I take you out for lunch/dinner after the deal is done".
Old 12-19-2005, 01:48 AM
1996 Carrera4S
Advanced

Perhaps Anir was reacting in the manner you describe. No offense was intended by me to anyone but Ray. If offense was Anirs concern, he should have addressed Ray also. BTW, moron is a clinical classification of someone with a very low mental age with severe social and education limitations, thus also a serious condition. Many insults sprang from this same classification system and were once only medical in their use and application. Idiot, imbecile and moron are among them.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:02 AM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't mean to be harsh, but I'm unclear on why you should be expecting anything. It's not like you actually told your friend about this car or even told him about this dealer - in other words: earned a referral fee. Your friend was doing you a favor, for which I would think YOU are the indebted party, and just happened to see something he liked. Maybe the dealer should comp you something just because it was his lucky day, but to expect something? Personally, I don't think so.

Greg H.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:29 AM
1996 Carrera4S
Advanced

I don't expect it. That's why I asked for experience and opinions about the situation. I guess it depends on my mechanics attitude. As far as being indebted to my friend, we don't keep score on doing on another favors. But I once drove from Boston to Atlantic City in the middle of the night to pick him up after he had a very back run of cards and couldn't scrape together the money for a bus ticket. I was in my first Porsche, a '75 911S. Those were younger, but fun times.

PS All of my dealings with my mechanic/dealer are an indorsement in my friends eyes. I have told him about specific cars there in the past that he considered buying. After driving the car, he asked me several more specific things about my buying experience with this dealer and his warranty service, etc. As I didn't have an arrangement before the fact, I don't EXPECT anything, but I know my opinions and experiences played a key role in my friends decision. The salesman my mechanic sent out didn't do any selling and didn't know all that much about the car. The car sold itself and I helped to sell the dealership. That's why I wondered if my mechanic (the owner) might show some appreciation in some form or another. Worst case senario, I get to drive the AMG once in a while

Last edited by 1996 Carrera4S; 12-19-2005 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:09 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I've not heard of this term over here in the UK and we would probably be too polite to ask. However, where I have referred people to garages/ paint shops/ vendors it's partly to reward them for looking after me as well as being able to give a good recommendation to someone else. Where I have consistently made referrals I think I get looked after a bit better so I guess that's payment of some sort. You certainly shouldn't make referrals looking for a kick back IMHO.

Cheers,

David
Old 12-19-2005, 10:09 AM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1996 Carrera4S
When we walk away from bullies, everybody loses. I'm curious why you didn't choose to censure him.
not to cause too much trouble- but you're kidding me right? "everybody loses", "censure"? this is a simple, not-so-perfect adult conversation. to think that someone is to blame for the way it's turning out seems silly. why not sue him? or better yet, invite him into the ring to go a few rounds. whatever it takes to 'get even' or 'make it right'.

look- there are always going to be idiots who speak without an ounce of class or understanding. that's what makes them idiots. sometimes they are even amusing to have around.

i don't disagree with your initial response to this calvo dude. what i find troubling is the "...everybody loses" thing. seems you're suggesting that every time someone says something about you that you don't like, they should be confronted. man would that make for a long/painful life.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:05 AM
mcuozzo
Instructor

Traffic53,

I really think what carrer4s means is this (carrer4s correct me if I'm wrong) - if those of us who can stand up to the bullies doesn't, then that makes for a terrible world. History is full of examples of this.

Also not to cause much trouble but Ray constantly replies in an unacceptable manor. In an internet forum where there is no way to convey tone, inflection or to see someone's expression what might be funny in person, seems really harsh in the written word. There is another thread on the front page where Ray snips at someone (and again is incorrect I might add). Why should we put up with this? I'm a strong willed person and really wouldn't care if Ray said something about me, but I'm sure some other people might be offended.

And look at it this way - If you are at work, church, or whereever and you are having a conversation with a stranger would you ever call him a moron? If you do you should expect some similiar type of response. And in my mind that first response is what is wrong with society, that it is accepted. And yes everyone would loose if that became the excepted norm.

Quick Reply: Anybody ever get a "bird dog" when a friend bought a car?