Sponsored by:

New Suspension In Transit...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 10:37 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Suspension In Transit...

I've place my order with Gert for Bilstein HDs & M030 springs and hope to get delivery sometime next week. Anyone have a source for the special Hazet 21mm half opened socket for tightening the top bolt or would be willing to loan to a fellow Rennlister?

The slope is now increasing...
Old 12-09-2005, 10:47 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Eric, Cool deal!! I have what tools you'll need You are more than welcomed to them
Old 12-09-2005, 10:54 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

That would be great, Chris - very generous. I've got a fairly complete set of tools and based on Gert/p-car.com's install procedures, I think the half opened socket is all I'm missing. I thought about purchasing, but at this point I'm not sure how many suspensions I'll be installing(?).

Assuming the parts arrive next week, I'm hoping to install next weekend. When I know, I'll PM you.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:12 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eric, very cool. One of these days, one of these days. Well maybe not after reading Pong's thread on his next Porsche costing him millions.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:07 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Eric,

If the HDs are anything like the PSS9s, take notice of the size of the nut on the top of the front shock that they send you. Mine was a different size from what came off the stock stuff. DO NOT reuse the stock stuff as I ended up with the stock nut being stripped after I tried to reuse it. Very, very soft material. Use the stuff Bilstein includes in their kit.

I think I used a spark plug socket to take off the stock nut and had to buy a socket and cut out a window for the Bilstein one. I hope Chris will be sending you the one that fits the Bilstein sized nut.

When you get stuck (there's always something), we'll be here to help. Hope the lowered car will clear your wheels.

Good luck... you'll love the new suspension.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:41 AM
98993c2s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good choice.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:49 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 258 Posts
Default Congrats

I've had my credit card in front of me for about a week now ready to make the same purchase. I've yet to pull the trigger. I'll be interested in your opinion of how difficult the DIY installation is.

I've never worked with springs or a spring compressor. Any safety tips on working with them? Also, does anyone have a link that shows what the Hazet tool looks like? I couldn't find it on their site.

http://www.samstagsales.com/hazet.htm
Old 12-10-2005, 01:00 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://p-car.com/diy/sus/
Old 12-10-2005, 01:02 AM
epj993
Rennlist Member

I plan to report back with before & after pics and anything I found during installation. I know this ground has been covered heavily before, but I'm going to do it anyway.

Here's a link to a post by Robin Sun from several years ago with a pic of the Hazet kit:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/16388-993-oe-shock-special-tool.html
Old 12-10-2005, 01:08 AM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kkim
Eric,

If the HDs are anything like the PSS9s, take notice of the size of the nut on the top of the front shock that they send you. Mine was a different size from what came off the stock stuff. DO NOT reuse the stock stuff as I ended up with the stock nut being stripped after I tried to reuse it. Very, very soft material. Use the stuff Bilstein includes in their kit.

I think I used a spark plug socket to take off the stock nut and had to buy a socket and cut out a window for the Bilstein one. I hope Chris will be sending you the one that fits the Bilstein sized nut.

When you get stuck (there's always something), we'll be here to help. Hope the lowered car will clear your wheels.

Good luck... you'll love the new suspension.
Thanks Kelly, I agree. My usual policy is to use the parts supplied with any new equipment - unless specifically noted.

Chris is great (met him a few times now at PCA breakfasts) and as it turns out he's only about 40 minutes up the freeway so there shouldn't be any issues.

I'm solving my fender clearance issue with a fender roll. A local shop here is quite experienced, has a knowledgable techs and all the proper equipment. So, Monday I get rolled and hopefully the problem is solved. Worst case, I downsize to 285s on the rear.

As always, y'all know if I have any questions
Old 12-10-2005, 01:28 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

No spring compressor is needed as these springs (even the factory US junk) are not preloaded. The rear requires the most disassembly. Not a big deal at all.
Now replacing those front sway bars are tricky..
Old 12-10-2005, 01:36 AM
Reynard38
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the Hazet go to www.samstagsales.com Lots of neat German tools. I got the Hazet suspension socket, a 27mm crowsfoot for the SAI check valve and a set of wrenches to adjust the valves on my old Diesel Merz from them.

Quick Reply: New Suspension In Transit...