Sponsored by:

Cons of LWF

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 11:14 PM
gst
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cons of LWF

we have heard much about teh pros of LWF /RS clutch set out. What about the things you dont like about LWF

I dont have stalling problem with my 95 993 but what i dont like about the LWF is the reduced torque and steadiness of the engine at low rev, esp in city driving and stop and go traffic. Reversing the car is relatively more difficult

one would have to rev up after the clutch is engaged, and car could no longer move along smoothly at idling rev with clutch engaged.

Thats why i plan to move up to MWF.

AS to the dual mass flywheel, i have no idea how a new one would feel on my 993 which was bought used. But with my new 987 with dual mass flywheel, i dont thank it feels like an "elephant" though the contact point is relatively vague in comparison. our stock 993 can manage 0-60 in mid 5s and is a LWF or even MWF really needed?

I am considering if I should replace my LWF with a MWF or even a new OEM flywheel. Just some thoughts at this moment.

is the OEM flywheel much more expensvie than a MWF? any good parts dealers guys would recommend?
Old 12-05-2005, 11:38 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

During 1,000s of miles of mostly urban driving I've experienced none of the problems you've described. Mine is a '96 so maybe that explains our night & day experiences.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:43 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 925 Likes on 559 Posts

Con: The revs build so fast you're into speeding ticket sooner than with the stock DMF.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:56 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

IIRC, cost wise, the lwf is < OEM < mwf. I agree with you that it is a bit more difficult to drive, at least at first. I assume that once you get the hang of driving with the lwf, it won't be so difficult. As for the noise that some complain about, I really like it.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:00 AM
gst
Instructor

i doubt if the car would be faster, or reaching 60 miles or 100 km in quicker time with LWF installed. There had been discussions here before and it seems that most ppl agree that with the LWF, the engine revs more freely (both up and down) but it does not necessarily make it faster.....
Old 12-06-2005, 12:24 AM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gst
i doubt if the car would be faster, or reaching 60 miles or 100 km in quicker time with LWF installed. There had been discussions here before and it seems that most ppl agree that with the LWF, the engine revs more freely (both up and down) but it does not necessarily make it faster.....
I was having trouble reconciling this issue in a prior thread and someone posted this:

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywhee...heel_works.htm

Pretty compelling and does in fact state that acceleration is improved.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:35 AM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

I love my LWF. I am not a scientist or an engineer, so I can not give you hard evidence. Does my car rev faster, you bet (tested side by side with DMF 993). Does it feel like it accellerates faster, and more easily, you bet. Would I ever go back to the DMF....NO WAY!
Old 12-06-2005, 01:42 AM
greglionb
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trojanman
I was having trouble reconciling this issue in a prior thread and someone posted this:

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywhee...heel_works.htm

Pretty compelling and does in fact state that acceleration is improved.
Compelling is an understatement. Great read.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:50 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Talking The semi LWF

ANDIAL takes the LWF and adds some weight to it...this was done to address problems with the 1995 OBD I model. It aint cheap, about $900 as I recall.

The only disadvantage I have heard of...whem the car is in neutral, at a stop, you can hear the gear sets rattling around. If you son't like the noise, depress the clutch and it goes away.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:57 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 343 Likes on 236 Posts

The LWF does improve accelleration. I did timed runs before and after.
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook
Old 12-06-2005, 08:56 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Yes the LFW is harder to live with when compared next to the DualMass....yes it is noisier when at idle and accelerating in 1st n 2nd gears, yes you need more revs to move away smoothly, yes you are correct reversing can no longer be done at tickover, yes it is stall prone in MY95 cars, but.........the engine revs faster, it accelerates faster, it makes the car feel more alive, it makes a great noise, it costs less if you are doing a clutch change and need a new Dual mass........really it is a very individual thing.....some will love it (I do most of the time), some will hate it......suggestion to those thinking of doing this.....drive a comparible MY with one installed.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:15 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the LWF on my previous 993, a '95 model. It stalled now and then: the revs would just drop and the engine turnoff. On my '96 model, no problems at all. Just benefits.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:34 AM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got a 97 C2S with the LWF and RS clutch.

The car seems to run just fine. It doesn't feel or chatter like most LWF's I've had experience with. In fact, it is fairly OEM as far as I'm concerned, however I have never driven a 993 with a DMF.

But I'm able to get the car to take off from a light fairly well. No chatter, very smooth engagement. The quickness in off-load revs had me a bit surprised at first, but just needed to compensate with my driving habit.

The LWF does have one caveat I do not like: It will stall the car in certain situations for me. If I'm turning the car, as if parking into a spot at full lock, and I depress the clutch and put her in neutral, the revs will fall (very quickly) and sometimes do so in a matter that gets below the idle and occasionally stalls the car. It's not a perfect science, and in fact when I tried to force it to stall (in that situation to show a tech) I couldn't get it to work.

I like it. Getting into the 997 after driving the 993 is a very different world. A great one, don't get me wrong, just very different.

Quick Reply: Cons of LWF