Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V1 Semi-Hard Wire, AnyOne Done This?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 01:52 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts
Default V1 Semi-Hard Wire, AnyOne Done This?

Hi,

I want to be able to take down the V1 sometimes, like interior window cleaning etc. I'm thinking of hard-wiring a cigarette lighter outlet onto the ceiling, in the space between the two visors. I'd need to get juice from the sun roof motor area, and hang a pig-tail out in the right location and wire the outlet to it. I can use velcro to attach the outlet to the roof for all I care. It's not that visible against the black head-liner.

Then when the V1 goes on, the plug in will be all done 'overhead'. No need to dangle the wire down to the dash-mount cigarette lighter.

Has anyone done this before, or I'm all wet with this idea?

Thanks for the education.

CP
Old 12-02-2005, 01:56 AM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pong:

On my red car, I simply wired the V1 using a black phone cord down behind the glove box and tucked the wire in the windshiled gasket up to above the r.v. mirror. When the V1 was out, it tucked out of the way above the sunvisor.

Similar idea, maybe smaller stuff.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:24 AM
GeezC4S
Racer

Pong,

I'm planning on wiring my V1 like Jim stated and getting the remote installed within the Tach (per Robin's DIY).

I'm thinking it might be more problematic and/or redundant installing another cig lighter on the ceiling. I'd also be a little concerned by how it looked, but that's just me.

Is there any particular reason why you don't want to run/hide the cable under the windshield gasket? You'll still be able to remove the main unit for cleaning or any other reasons and the cable within the gasket would be less obstrusive than another cig lighter on the ceiling.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:34 AM
donsacto
Racer

I did the V1 hardware as described in P-car.com Phone cord works very well to run inside the windshield. It works great, out of sight, V1 can be detached anytime for window cleaning. Also have my remote display right between my Tach and Speedo.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:05 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Don,

Can you do mine??

Originally Posted by donsacto
I did the V1 hardware as described in P-car.com Phone cord works very well to run inside the windshield. It works great, out of sight, V1 can be detached anytime for window cleaning. Also have my remote display right between my Tach and Speedo.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:04 AM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 36 Posts

you might want to think about just buying the hidden remote from valentine.
i have it wired up to place the V1 to the right of the rear view mirror. The phone cord runs around the windshield and the remote sits in the ash tray.

The V1 would be hidden from a cop if I were pulled over because it would be under his sight line, it stays dark when in use because the remote lights up instead, and with its placement in the ashtray, its easier both to see and to hit the mute button on (also, i find that when I use the V1 in my other car and hit mute on the ****, I wind up changing the volume by accident).

The hidden display fits into the ashtray with no modification and when I have the detector out, the cord tucks into the pass. side sun visor.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:12 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Boy, you are lazy; been done umpteen times - SEARCH THE ARCHIVES!!!

I took a phone cord and cut off the outside insulation for all except about a foot from the plug that goes into the V1. Then on the wires now open, I cut off all except the red and green wires. Now, could stuff this up under the windshield rubbber surround all along the top and down the driver side A-pillar, then down under the dash. I ran a power lead from the fuse panel down to an existing grommet in the firewall, then up to the phone cord power lead.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:33 AM
donsacto
Racer

Tony:

Whats going on!! Long time no see Hope you get your ride back soon!! I may be in your area in January for the LA Autoshow. I can help you with a DIY!!
Old 12-02-2005, 12:46 PM
Tim993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have my V1 mounted between the visors with the phone cord running in the windshield gasket as well. One thing I did a little different on the mounting was to use velcro to mount the unit to the windshield since the suction cups did hold all that well for me. I cut some heavy duty velcro to approximate the diameter of the suction cups and used small flat head screws and nuts to attach the "stiffer" side of the velcro to the mounting bracket. The only down side is that you will have the "soft" side of the velcro on the glass when the V1 is not mounted but it is not really all that noticable with the tinting at the top of the windshield.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:26 PM
Moose
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Air Kuul TT - I'm in Dallas area too and have done this wiring on mine. It is a pretty simple 20 minute process. You are welcome to come over to my place and I'll help you. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Steve
Old 12-02-2005, 02:09 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

since the suction cups did hold all that well for me.
On a dry application, they didn't hold well for me either. So, would lick the mounting surface of the suction cups before application. They hold fine all day. If you don't like to lick them, wiping them with a very wet sponge or towel should accomplish the same thing.

Quick Reply: V1 Semi-Hard Wire, AnyOne Done This?