Sponsored by: DashLynx

Any Carfax experts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 03:24 PM
troutrover
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any Carfax experts?

According to the Carfax on my new 993 the previos owner did a good job of keeping up with regular service intervals...but did a lousy job of keeping track of paper work (I have very little during this period). The Carfax shows "Service Facility Vehicle serviced" I am trying to recreate the service history. Does anyone know if a "Service Facility" is a Porsche Dealer or could it be an independant shop? and is it possible to get these records from Porsche North America?

Any help would be great!

Here are the records from the Carfax that I am refering to...

09/08/1998 32,705 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced

09/08/1998 36,516 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced

04/02/1999 40,984 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced

06/14/1999 45,727 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced

09/29/1999 52,311 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced

12/23/1999 56,988 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced

03/20/2000 60,633 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced

06/20/2000 61,548 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced

03/23/2001 62,533 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced

08/17/2001 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Jacksonville, FL
Title #0072719432
Title issued or updated
New owner reported

08/24/2001 63,897 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced

08/25/2001 63,980 Oregon
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Portland, OR
Title #0133409009
Odometer reading reported for title
or registration

05/14/2004 69,538 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced
Old 11-30-2005, 04:03 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If the service was done at a dealer, you should be able to gain access to the past service history through any dealer, if you ask nicely.

Good luck

Last edited by kkim; 11-30-2005 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:11 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Kelly is right (as usual). My 993 had zero paperwork and I bought it through a dealer of sorts. I went by the local Porsche dealer with the vehicle registration and asked for help. They ran the VIN and told me all the work that had been done on the car and at what dealer the car was bought and serviced at. It was Newport Beach Porsche so I stopped by one day. Again, they took great care of me and pulled the file on the car. It ends up it was a one owner car and every service was done on time along with some minor repairs. The only thing they couldn’t/wouldn’t give me was a print out of the details. Still, it was some piece of mind knowing the car had been serviced properly.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:14 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Can you contact previous owner(s) and ask where it was serviced ? If so, you can back track to dealers that way. I know dealers around by me would not give history of service without prior owners approval. Apparently it is Porsche's way to respect privacy.

If don't know previous owner(s), I would call dealers in cities car was owned, like maybe Jacksonville, Portand - should not be too many in each state. Carfax would not give you any specific service details. Outside chance is to call PCNA in Atlanta, but don't think they can provide info. It will not be easy to get all the service records.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:10 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
Kelly is right (as usual). My 993 had zero paperwork and I bought it through a dealer of sorts. I went by the local Porsche dealer with the vehicle registration and asked for help. They ran the VIN and told me all the work that had been done on the car and at what dealer the car was bought and serviced at. It was Newport Beach Porsche so I stopped by one day. Again, they took great care of me and pulled the file on the car. It ends up it was a one owner car and every service was done on time along with some minor repairs. The only thing they couldn’t/wouldn’t give me was a print out of the details. Still, it was some piece of mind knowing the car had been serviced properly.
That's odd - Newport Porsche is the closet dealer around here & they told me they could only print out warranty work. When I questioned how this was possible since everything is computerized, I got the "that's all we can do" response.

Maybe I'll give it another try with a different service guy.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:25 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Eric.....I guess its who ever is sitting behind the desk at the time. The guy I talked to went over the service record line by line. Like I said though, he wouldn't give me a print out.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:45 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think the dealer computer are not networked to pick up service history from other dealers. That is why I needed to go back to dealer that serviced my car.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:11 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

CarFax.....hmmmmm should be taken with a grain of salt. My personal experience. Five years ago my '87 Carrara was totaled and I mean really bad. I was T-Boned by a lead sled @ approx. 55 mph the impact was so great that the secondary impact ( a 2000 Cadillac Fleetwood ) broke the engine off the motor mounts and drove me into a median signal box.

After the law stuff and insurance settlement which took about 18 months it was time to look for a replacement. Anyhoooo, I get me a subscription to CarFax. This gets me to thinking so I pull-up the VIN on my 'ole '87 and guess what, it had every inspection and a good bit of other insignificant information, nothing bad. Nothing about a wreck, nothing about being totaled.

This is the kicker.......I started looking at regional Porsche dismantlers and guess what, the first one I looked at there was my old car. Tha add said " Good rebuilder, clean transferable title"
Old 11-30-2005, 07:24 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

If the service was done at a dealer, you should be able to gain access to the past service history through any dealer, if you ask nicely.
I tried this with a dealer in NJ and though I did ask very nicely they wouldn't tell me squat. Fortunately the PPI I did on the car told me everything I needed to know, which was "walk away."

c
Old 11-30-2005, 09:42 PM
SKM
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

My experience is consistent with some of the remarks above. The warranty work is available on a central system that any service advisor can access if he/she cares to do it for you. This system also provides selling dealer info, option/package codes, build & in-service dates, and in some cases, every owner. Service and repair history resides at the specific dealer (in paper and/or computer files) that did the work. Many dealers have privacy policies and will not provide the history without the prior owner's permission. Some dealer just don't want to bother to help you regardless of the policy. I have also found that some dealers have lost records or not converted past history data when they convert to new software, leaving only the service information that was entered into the new/current system. I don't know about Porsche dealers transmitting data to Carfax on service visits (I am pretty sure that my dealer does not), however I know that our local Mercedes dealer transmits service visits to CarFax at a detail level such as Service Facility - transmission service, etc. I recently had the opportunity to see an 8 year old Mercedes for which each and every service visit to the dealer was sent to Carfax. I matched the carfax list with the paper service records and it matched one for one since the 1998 car was new.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:12 AM
troutrover
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys, as I am finding out...like always good advice. I will try calling the dealer in Jacksonville, FL, those are the records that I want. I will elt you know if I get any were. Anyone have a conection at the Jacksonville dealer that may want to help a Rennlister?
Old 12-01-2005, 03:39 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Each dealer has their own privacy policy. I tried to get the dealer that sold my car new to just give me the window sticker prices on the options and he wouldn't.
PCNA on the other hand will send you a Certificate of Authenticity for about $100
It's nice to have because it lists all the options that your car was ordered with and has some more information. I think the best way to get all the info you want is from the Police computer servers, I don't remember the site but it was accessed through any computer as long as you had the passward.
It gives the names of owners and lean holders, accident full reports with injuries and claims.
I forgot the name or if it was for law enforcement officers. The next way is to make friends with the dealer.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:21 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 656 Likes on 387 Posts

As above, warranty work information done by a P dealer is available on the network and everything else is exclusive to the servicing P dealer. In my case, the dealer shared "just enough" over the phone, then after purchasing the vehicle, the previous owner gave the dealer permission to release the records to me. If the previous owner had not done that, the dealer volunteered that they would stamp a service book for all services.

Quick Reply: Any Carfax experts?