Sponsored by:

Please help me to petition Porsche....

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 12:37 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Please help me to petition Porsche....

I am hoping that I can get the list's help on this. The PCNA's District Service/Parts Manager (DSM) has inspected my car and attempted to get a replacement top under the 10-year corrosion warranty. He was almost successful but somewhere high up in the Porsche hierarchy the claim was denied because the warranty "does not cover a Targa roof". The wording of the warrany is to cover "body panels" and does not exclude the top of the car. I think this kind of corrosion should be part of the coverage.

The rest of the car is rust free...I have had the bumpers / windshield/ suspension/ engine all out with no traces of rust anywhere except for this top. I have had my body shop inspect as well and it all looks good. When I had the front windshield replaced the frame was rust free....so why just the roof?

The DSM is coming back again next Wednesday to look at the car again after the rear window has been taken out. The rust is much more obvious that his last visit. If he gets nowhere or is unsupportive I will write a letter to Peter Schwarzenbauer (CEO, PCNA) as a last ditch attempt and include this petition. I know it likely to be futile but its worth a try.

I have attached some photos showing the rust at the bottom of the rear window. My body shop's opinion is the metal has been compromised too much and has lost a large part of it's strength and is not repairable. This part is not replaceable since the frame of the roof is structurally one piece...you have to buy the entire roof to replace it!

I would like to show Peter and PCNA the power of the Rennlist community. I would greatly appreciate anyone who is willing to support me to petition Porsche to cover the rust on the Targa top under the rust warranty to add to this thread including any comments you might have..

Thanks very much!

Cheers,

Mike

------------------------

What my car is supposed to look like:

Rust underneath the rear urethane:

Big flakes of rusty metal:

The whole channel is well rusted

The front corners of the roof also have rust....

Last edited by Mike J; 11-26-2005 at 02:59 AM.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:48 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Mike...I understand you want the warranty to cover the roof (body panel) structure...correct? Although they do not cover the targa top, the roof structure must be protected by the warranty regardless of what caused the rust! I think you are entitle to , at least, partial reimbursement of repair costs...
Old 11-25-2005, 12:56 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

You can count me in. Good luck to you!
Old 11-25-2005, 01:18 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This definitely should be covered under warranty.

I tried once get my window frame corrosion to be fixed under this warranty but it was denied which I understood since door frame can be argued that it's not part of the body.

However.

If those parts that are rusted on the photos aren't "body panels" then what is?
Old 11-25-2005, 01:19 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Count me in - what do you think is the best course of action, multiple individual letters, or one letter signed by all of us? Let me know what I can do.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:36 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Mike,

You have my unquestioned support on this. Porsche made quite a deal about their "rust-proofing, anti-corrosion" porcess in advertising some years back. There is no way that a reasonable person wouldn't believe that the targa roof is covered by their warranty. I'm sure there are many lawyers (some on Rennlist) who would be happy to handle this matter on your behalf if PCNA continues to be unreasonable.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:46 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Absolutely with you on this Mike!

It is a structural part of the car, which has been weakened by rust, and will continue to become more compromised. I wonder if PCNA really wants to deny the claim and later face the result of a rollover accident with a roof that is weakened by a manufacturer's defect, of which the manufacturer was previously made aware?
Old 11-25-2005, 01:52 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The real question is, does Porsche stand by their product? So far, it would seem they have chosen not to in this case. Dr. Porsche would be very proud...
Old 11-25-2005, 02:33 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is only the latest example of how PCNA will not correct their own design flaws (SAI ports, wiring harness, door check strap, window switches, steering rack, rust, etc.) We are invited by Porsche to expect more, but rarely get it. Clearly the rust is not on the top (which is glass), it is on the body which is painted. They can't have it both ways.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:33 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike,

Yes, you have my support, also. Like was asked above, if the Targa roof is not a body panel, then what is it? Also, in the pics, it looks like the rust is on the body side that the panel rests on, so what's the problem with covering that rust?

Either way you look at it, it sounds more and more like they are trying to renege on their warranty word.

Good luck... I know how much the legal beagles will argue their point, even if they are wrong.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:43 PM
hotrdd911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don'y own a targa but if you ask me it doesn't look like you are replacing the targa but the "body panel" that holds the targa top on??? CORRECT?
Old 11-25-2005, 02:48 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike,

I'm with you here.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:10 PM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike, I have always been against these Porsche tactics and excuses. I'm a firm believer that the whole car is suppose to be covered. That's the way it appeared to me when the dealer was trying to close the deal. I would like to secretly video tape a salesman explaining to a buyer which panels are covered and which are not! They always say the whole car is covered. I'm completely on your side Mike, anything you need. Chris
Old 11-25-2005, 03:33 PM
sidned
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mike,

I've just resolved a similar issue with the rust on my windscreen. I had to put some money towards the cost of repair, but they eventually agreed to do the work. Do you have all the bodywork inspection stamps? That was the thing that clinched it for my case - the dealer doing these inspections should have spotted the rust and taken action. Your rust looks like the perfect candidate for a warranty repair.
Let me know if I can help any further. Do you have some sort of trading standards office in the US? Maybe you could get someone to inspect the small print to see if you can threaten Porsche with legal action.

Good luck!
Old 11-25-2005, 03:43 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I think this is an example of what happens when bean counters take over a once-enthusiast-run company. To try and split hairs over what is and what isn't a body panel is INSULTING, especially when you look at the way they advertized their anti-corrosion guarantee.

Didn't some PCCB brakes crumble apart after 500 miles of track use, then Porsche refused to replace them? In that case, Porsche advertized PCCB as the "ultimate" performance brake system, and then refuse to replace them because they were "abused" on a track.

Quick Reply: Please help me to petition Porsche....