OBDII readers

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 10:59 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts
Unhappy OBDII readers

I've read many posts about OBDII readers. It gets a little confusing. I had my car in to an idependant a while back, and they told me they could not read the code on their machine as Porsche had not "released the codes", and I ended up taking it to the dealer, who charged an hour minimum labor for what I'm sure was a 5-10 second read of the codes, ended up being an O2 sensor.

If that is true (I believed the independant, they are highly rated and did not charge me as they could not tell me what the code was), why buy one?
Old 11-21-2005, 01:26 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one and can read the codes easily. Works fine. How long ago is "not long ago"?

Sounds like you need a new independent.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:04 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Confusion might be between the OBD-I in the '95 (which is totally proprietary) and the OBD-II in later years (what as far as I know should be fairly generic). And from experience on my '98 Audi, yes - a OBD-II code read can be quick.

Why buy one? Maybe folks like doing their own work!
Old 11-21-2005, 02:43 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Kelly, My car was late 95 built and the OBD plug is on the passenger side of the center console.
That by it self is a bit strange
The size of the plug is the same as the OBD2 uses, one independent found that weird and he told me it was an OBD-2 when he used the Hammer.
So I bought an OBD2 reader and it doesn't work. What do you think I have? Chris
Old 11-21-2005, 02:51 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Chris,

Does this answer your question?
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...highlight=obd2
Old 11-21-2005, 03:11 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Thanks Kelly, so far no one has the plug on the passenger side of the console.
I guess I have the OBD-1 with an OBD-2 type plug.
Does this means that nothing but the Hammer will read it? Or this there anything else that I can get to read these codes?
Chris
Old 11-21-2005, 12:05 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for the answers. As for the independant, that was a little over a year ago. Isn't the CAN compliant system something to do with all manufacturers having to release their codes?

And Ray, yes, I do like doing my own work, but if I can't get or read the codes with a generic reader, why buy it was the question. I replaced the O2 sensor myself once I knew what the problem was. My other car is an Audi, and I've also read where a lot of their codes are 'propriatary', and I've seen Audi/VW specific readers. If I can get away with just buying one, that'd be great. I buy Snap On when I can, and am considering their OBDII scanner. Mucho bucks, thats why I want to make sure it will read the Porsche (and Audi) codes.

Thanks again gents, if any one else can add information, I will appreciate it.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:17 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For OBD2 reading, I just use an old laptop with www.obd-2.com software and cable. It is cheap and works great for pulling codes, system readiness, CEL reset, real time analysis of systems, data logging, and a bunch of other stuff.

You will still need a Porsche OBD2 manual to give you all the proper info on the codes and diagnostic info.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:20 PM
sweanders
Race Director

It is just a matter of looking up the codes in the workshop manual.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:20 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Default Not all code readers are created equal

Hi guyz,
Careful when you're getting a code scanner.
i) OBD - I ----- think "1995" (and earlier)
ii) OBD - II ---- think "1996" (and later)

OBD-II is the one which has the 'more stringent/vigilent' emissions checks/criteria.

The 'connector' for OBD-II is *different* from OBD-I.

Very sophisticated machinery (think $$$ and $tealerships) which come with multiple connectors (think octopus) are capable of reading OBD-I and OBD-II -- and ALSO the various protocols.

The Porsche protocol is "ISO 9141 (keyword 2000)" and NOT ALL CODE SCANNERS CAN READ/INTERFACE WITH THIS PROTOCOL.

So be careful when you're scoping for a 'buy' on ebay -- do your homework (google it!) and make sure that the code scanner can work with the ISO9141 protocol otherwise you'll end up with a paperweight or a device that can 'only' talk to your wife's Toyota Echo.

I personally use the Matco 9620 scanner (yup, it was expensive) but it's FAB! -- interfaces with all the OBD-II protocols etc. etc. etc.

Also, being a comp. geek -- I created an EXCEL spreadsheet and 'tabulated' the "lbs. of air per min." -- as seen from the MAF (Mass Airflow) readout -- courtesy of said code scanner -- and from that have been able to 'see' (in real time) my miles per gallon as I drive. It's a hoot.

I'll post a more 'in depth / descriptive' treatise on my "real-time mpg calculator" in due time...

Latah,

G.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:06 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tonydec.. what year is your car?
Old 11-21-2005, 02:17 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by g_murray
The 'connector' for OBD-II is *different* from OBD-I.
I don't believe this to be a 100% correct statement (as I've posted previously).

The pre 96 (or OBD II) cars have a 16 pin rectangular (OBD) connector located in the Drivers footwell on the left hand side of the center console.

95 (or OBD I) models can have two possible connectors.
Early 95's have a 19 pin connector located in the passenger footwell on the right hand side.
Later 95's have the 16 pin rectangular (OBD) connector in the drivers footwell (same position as 96 and on cars).

The Connector for late 95's and on *is* the same. It's only the early 95's that have the older 928 and 964 model 19 pin circular diagnostic connector.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:05 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by grmnxtc
I don't believe this to be a 100% correct statement (as I've posted previously).

The pre 96 (or OBD II) cars have a 16 pin rectangular (OBD) connector located in the Drivers footwell on the left hand side of the center console.

95 (or OBD I) models can have two possible connectors.
Early 95's have a 19 pin connector located in the passenger footwell on the right hand side.
Later 95's have the 16 pin rectangular (OBD) connector in the drivers footwell (same position as 96 and on cars).

The Connector for late 95's and on *is* the same. It's only the early 95's that have the older 928 and 964 model 19 pin circular diagnostic connector.

Gracias.
I had only 'seen' the 'late 95' connector.

G.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:15 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Excellant answer g_murray, info like that is what I'm looking for! Keithart, maybe thats why the independant could not 'read' the code and see what it was. I think I read here recently that the O2 codes were in the 1200's? That would explain it. I would love to eventually get the complete manual series, but I think most of the DIY items are more than covered here and at P-Car, so I thought the scanner would be a better first purchase, as at least I will know what specifically is wrong, and not have to take it to the dealer for diagnostic at $100 for maybe 1 minutes actual work.

KKim, I have a 96 C4.

Again, thanks a lot for the information. What I've broken it down to so far is to get an ISO 9141 compliant reader to obtain the codes, and then obtain the Porsche manual to interpret the propriatary codes over 1000. Is that right?

By the way, no CEL, just thinking ahead as my baby matures.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:27 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have an Equus 3100 code reader that reads and resets the CEL light. Cost was about $100.

Very simple basic tool, but does what I want it to. OBD2 definitions are on their website, but are very general and not in depth at all.

http://www.iequus.com/obd_def.asp

Quick Reply: OBDII readers