Antisieze paste on spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 10:10 AM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Antisieze paste on spark plugs

Has anyone ever used Champion ANTI-SIEZE 4OZ 2612 S on their spark plugs? I know the workshop manual says to put plugs in dry, ie without any lube or antiseize?

This stuff is used on spark plugs in air cooled Lycoming and Continental aircraft engines.

Last edited by Ron; 12-08-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:20 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down

I haven't used this, but used the stuff that came in a tube on my old '84 Carrera. Got a jammed spark plug which resulted in requiring an engine removal, head removal, and drilling out the jammed plug. Never used anti-seize stuff again.

Shop manual sez install them dry; I'm a believer.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:50 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I also thought one of the reasons Porsche wants them installed dry was to get good grounding for the sparkplugs? I guess its possible with an even caot of antiseize to have the plug insulated and the sparks will not be as strong....not sure but I put them in dry as well.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-14-2005, 07:03 PM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

if the product is for high temp i will use it.
i use loctite equivalent, only a very small amount, just to cover the threads.
i have destroyed many expensive aluminum parts in my striker aluminum sportfisherman as iron-stainless get frozen inside the aluminum, specially if external humidity is around. (As in Florida or southamerica)

if the product is for high temp ratings, i will use a small amount of it , as a way to prevent frozen parts later on. is my humble opinon as engineer.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:49 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the product is for high temp ratings
I don't know what the temperature rating is for the Champion product, I don't have any, it's sold by aircraft parts and supplies vendors. What do you consider as high temperature rating?

I have 2 other antiseize products one is copper based and has a temp rating of 2000 degrees F. and the other is kinda of silvery in color and is rated to 1600 degrees F.

Edited

Am I correct in think that the temperature of a spark plug would not exceed 1000 degrees C. which is about 1832 degrees F?

Last edited by Ron; 11-14-2005 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:51 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never used any anti seize on spark plugs in any p car I've owned nor do I plan to start, why try to fix what's not broken.....ZP44
Old 11-16-2005, 09:21 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

One reason Porsche says no anti-seize on spark plugs is so optimum heat transfer from the plug to the head is maintained, thus ensuring proper functioning of the plug. To reduce the possibility of a plug seizing, be careful not to overtorque them.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:01 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyT
One reason Porsche says no anti-seize on spark plugs is so optimum heat transfer from the plug to the head is maintained, thus ensuring proper functioning of the plug. To reduce the possibility of a plug seizing, be careful not to overtorque them.

Yeah, and be careful not to undertorque them. I did this on a plug in my 87 cab years ago, and it worked it's way loose. It sounded like I was running straight exhaust! Of course this happened late at night in a very quiet, exclusive and expensive neighborhood... also known as Medina. The gendarmes were not happy!

Quick Reply: Antisieze paste on spark plugs