Momo steering wheel/short shift problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 03:56 PM
Biovox
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Momo steering wheel/short shift problems

My mechanic has tried to perform the Momo steering wheel install on my 95 993 C2 without much success. Apparently there is some problem actually getting the boss to fit onto the shaft. I have the Momo 7004 adaptor (from Gert) and the mech' has read the various DIY writeups regarding the interference of the boss at the bottom of the shaft but he reckons that this won't solve the problem. Even when tightened he reckons there is still a 4mm gap between the bottom of the boss and the horn contact. Anyone encounter a similar problem with their install? How can I confirm that the adaptor is indeed a 7004, as there appears to be no markings on the boss itself although the splines on the column fit the adaptor correctly? Anything we've missed?

I've also had Gert's RS short shift installed and find that the position of 6th gear is now (uncomfortably) close to 4th. Is this a characteristic of this kit or has something gone awry in the installation? The bushes have been rotated 180 degrees as suggested in the installation instructions.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:02 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I have a Momo Mod .07/Porsche Motorsports wheel with the stock Momo hub and have had no problems getting the hub adapter to fit onto the splines. I haven't had a chance to make the horn work, but to do so, you'll need part # 964 652 104 00. PM swftiii (Skip) since he's figured out a good way to make the horn work properly.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:20 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Biovox,

Not sure what the problem is with the Momo install, but if you could provide me a picture that would help. I removed the stock wheel and then removed the horn/airbag part. This was the most difficult part, but once you can reach the wiring behind the dashboard it isn't too bad.

Once removed the hub just bolted into place and the wheel attached to that. Let me know more about the problem and I'll see what I can do to help.

-Skip
Old 11-07-2005, 11:44 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Biovox
I've also had Gert's RS short shift installed and find that the position of 6th gear is now (uncomfortably) close to 4th. Is this a characteristic of this kit or has something gone awry in the installation? The bushes have been rotated 180 degrees as suggested in the installation instructions.
I installed this kit, and do not notice 4th and 6th being too close. I assume you mean to say that 4 and 6 are closer than any of the others (eg. 1-3, 2-4)?
Old 11-08-2005, 12:17 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

No issues with the clubsport momo wheel from Gert and the adapter. No issues either with the short shifter again from Gert. Not sure what close means to you though...
Old 11-08-2005, 03:35 PM
Biovox
Addict
Rennlist Member

6th felt so physically close to 4th that I thought I was changing down rather than up from 5th. The pattern felt like:

1 3 5
| | |
-----
| | /
2 4 6

rather than the normal "double H". I'm taking the car back tomorrow and hopefully will be able to try and ascertain exactly what the problems are. As for the steering wheel I've talked to Gert who's assured me that the wheel and hub were supplied direct from the Porsche Motorsport Department at Weissach so he is also at a loss to explain it. Perhaps if I see it for myself I can figure out what the problem is.

Watch this space
Old 11-11-2005, 12:12 PM
Biovox
Addict
Rennlist Member

UPDATE: The strange feeling when shifting to 6th appears to be due to the fact that the RS shortshift shaft is longer than the normal C2 shifter. Hence when trying to shift into 6th the gaiter becomes rather taut and pulls the top of the gearstick towards first gear. Hence could shift into 6th (lower part moves) but felt like 4th (upper part pulled towards 1st). We're going to try and resolve this by cutting 1" off the shaft to allow play in the gaiter. As for the steering wheel, it transpires that the problem is actually with the horn contact, not the boss. Evidently when fully tightened down there is still a 4-5mm gap between the contact ring on the boss and the horn contact. We're going to try and solve this by just bending the horn contact so that it makes contact with the appropriate point on the bottom of the boss. Have any of you guys experienced this problem? Or don't you bother with the horn? In the UK it's an MOT (US:Inspection?) failure if the horn doesn't work.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:29 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

"We're going to try and resolve this by cutting 1" off the shaft to allow play in the gaiter."

This is what I tell my customers that needs to be done (cutting off the top 1") if they want to keep the shifter in the same location. Some people like that taller shifter and having it be just a fraction closer to the steering wheel.

Some states have inspections, and other do not. Bending the little contact up is not a big deal as it is just a flexible piece of copper.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:50 PM
Biovox
Addict
Rennlist Member

Got the car back today - feels like it has been transformed (had the suspension changed as well as the steering wheel and gearshift). VB: Horn works fine (bent contact) and the gear **** sits about where it should with 6th being entered without palpitations The funny thing is that I had the RS shifter **** (the plastic one) put on at the same time so am a bit surprised that any modifications were necessary at all. Still the tactile feedback through the gearchange and that AWESOME alcantara 993 cup steering wheel was worth the trouble - all I have to do now is drive it. The M3 needs a service and Motec remap soon so I guess I'm all out of excuses ... Will post some piccys soon

Quick Reply: Momo steering wheel/short shift problems