Sponsored by:

Lowering methods

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 02:34 AM
RustyRotors
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering methods

I have been reading the previous posts regarding lowering and lowered 993's.

Questions for my own stock 96 C2 which, I think, has a bit of a higher nose at stock -
I saw a picture on a previous post where someone was able to change the ride height by turning a large 'nut' on the lower spring saddle shock tube. Is this the best way or the easiest?

Or

Do I still need some H&R springs?

I do not necessarily need it as low as possible but really just want to improve the handling and change the rake so that the front is low r than the rear. I am satisfied with the ride quality so I do not need a set of PSS9's.

I did also install My Boxster S 18" Carerra lightweight wheels and tires with no offset issues.

Thanks
Ron
Old 11-01-2005, 05:19 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

I just got some new suspension goodies recently...i was looking for a way to get some fender filling myself, and for practicality issues decided also against the pss9 because i probably wasnt going to crawl under and screw with the settings myself, and the price vs benefit doesn't seem to mesh- i've only used my car for 100% roads and freeways- no real track time in store for my daily driver.

so instead i decided to switch to the row mo30 suspension- shorter, original factory springs, beefed up front and rear sways, and modified shocks... all totalled parts and installed with corner balancing, alignment, kinematic toe set, and even brake bleeding by my german "friends" (its bad when your mechanic tells you he's expecting your call isn't it?) for less than half the price of what the pss9 would have been.

i'll put some pics up of the new look- less free space in the arches...and all the new parts make it feel completely different without really sacrificing too much on real life roads. its not so low that it scrapes everything, its just right for me at this time.

now when the clutch starts acting up eventually then i'm going for the lightweight flywheel mod...haha I'm hooked!

c.j.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:31 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

That adjustment you are referring to is more for balancing the corners than ride height adjustment. This is why there is such a limited range.
If your car has more than 25K miles on it, best would be to replace the shocks and springs. Bilstein HD's (non-adjustable damping) and ROW M030 (euro ride height) is a great way to go! Upgraded sway bars are a great addition as well.
I, personally, would stay away from the aftermarket springs.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:56 AM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you only install the shorter springs your stock shocks will not be compatable. The stock shocks are junk any way. After paying for the springs, the labor for R&R and alignment. I was less happy with the handling then when it was stock. At least that was my experience. So I bought the RoW M030 set up from Gert with the HD Bilsteins. Then paid for the installation and alignment AGAIN.
Now I couldn't be happier.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:01 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

I agree with Chris (darn he beat me to it again ). While you may think your ride is good, I can guarantee it can get better if you are riding on the original shocks. Also, if you go to the stiffer ROW M030, you will want a better damperner anyway. Also, the extended thread collars for the HDs are readily available here in the states now (actually they are the new standard, but some places still have the older shorter thread ones still in inventory) so no issues on setting a lower ride height.

I have installed numerous sets of H&Rs. They can have issues with coils banging on other coils which translates into some noise over various terrain.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:02 PM
jhale
Pro

I was just going to ask about the longer threaded collars and whether they were offered only via Gert. Does the Euro spec ride height require the additional extended collar? I can't go too low or I'll bottom out every time I pull into the garage. Also, if I can get the extended collar version in the US, is it still the same Bilstein HD product version?

This is on my list for a winter project along with some body mod's.

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:28 PM
Biovox
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm also having my suspension uprated at the moment - the stock Monroes are awful. I'm having the dampers replaced with AST adjustable coilovers (which are adjustable like the Bilstein PSS9s but alot cheaper). From what I saw at the shop each shock has two short springs, I presume to give a more progressive feel? but the techs who have road tested the car are really impressed with the improvement. The ride height will be set somewhere in between normal C2 and RS which shouldn't be too low but should make the 17" wheels fill the arches more. I assume that if this is the case then they have the necessary collar lengths to achieve it. I'll post more details after I've had a chance to drive it
Old 11-01-2005, 08:24 PM
Reynard38
Pro

From Gert I purchased the H&R springs and Bilstein HD's. Love the looks, ride and handling. Be sure to get the front protection bar as well..you'll need it!

Quick Reply: Lowering methods