Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SAI Flush Update... look at what we broke.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 12:49 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Nice job Dennis! Its nice to see what the part looks like after talking on the phone...you were right to change it out, it could be repaired but you could not trust it after that.

I did not have a crush washer on my valve when I took it out but I certainly put antiseize when I put it back. I also tightened it up but not too tight given it will be taken out again.

Looks like you have the usual amount of carbon on your exhaust ports but the valve looks like just the right color. You engine looks like its in pretty good shape. Do all the valves look the same?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 10-24-2005, 02:49 AM
C4S_fan
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, they're pretty much all the same. I'm going to take some more pictures as the flush continues.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:46 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kkim
Dennis,

Very sorry to see that. Are you sure your wrench fit the valve properly and you weren't trying to turn the air distributor housing, too? Regardless... must be a real junk feeling when you realized what was happening. I admire your positive attitude on seeing this to completion.. it will be worth it.

Please keep us informed on your progress. Good luck!!!

When I tried to do mine last winter I had a wrench made up. It was a good fit but I could not get the valve off either. I felt that I dare not use more force on the wrench than I did, so I guess some of them are really tight. I knew that my mechanic had had my valve off 10000 km earlier so assumed it was in OK shape. I squirted the cleaner in each of the 6 ports below with a turkey-baster arrangement, and will have the valve changed next time the engine is out.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:57 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dennis,

Looking at the cracked distributor, I find it hard to understand how a stuck SAI valve could break that part off. Could it be that you were pushing against the aluminum pipe when trying to loosen and the resistance you felt was the pipe? Not trying to beat a dead horse, but trying to understand how that "ear" of the distributor cracked when the valve does not exert any force on that particular area.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:25 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We figure that the extension point of the crows foot rotated around and hit the lobe of the air distributor and cracked it.
In fact, you can see marks on the lobe and pipe connector-thingy that look to me were left by the crow-foot part that sticks out, where the extension connects to it. I'd guess it happened when they stripped a couple of the corners of the SAI valve. Probably the only reason the same thing didn't happen to me was because I had the crow-foot on the opposite way when it broke free. The trick to removing the SAI check valve is to use a peice of wood or something to brace the extension vertically so all the force gets directed in a twisting motion, rather than twisting/deflecting. I used a smallish claw hammer, with the handle propped up next to the power-steering res., and the extension resting on the narrow part of the hammer head. I would have had it out in 15 minutes if I had figured it out from the beginning .
Old 10-24-2005, 05:44 PM
ecobb993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Great writeup C4S_Fan. Looks like a "fun" project, which I thought I'd tackle after reading some of the other threads on the subject.

But after reading your experience, and that of a few others' here, think I'll stick with spending the 90 seconds or so every few months reading and resetting the CE. Then have the check valve replaced in several years when it's time to do a valve job or other project requiring engine drop.

Let's see, 90 secs X 4 times a year X, say, 5 years = 30 minutes. Yep, just what I thought, saved myself about 9 1/2 hours.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:35 AM
C4S_fan
Burning Brakes

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear.

I'm fairly certain it broke as a consequence of the crows foot "socket" (where the extension plugs into) hit the lobe on the way around (as we got the SAI vavle to finally break loose)

I'll take a picture and show you what I mean when I get the new one tomorrow!

Originally Posted by kkim
Dennis,

Looking at the cracked distributor, I find it hard to understand how a stuck SAI valve could break that part off. Could it be that you were pushing against the aluminum pipe when trying to loosen and the resistance you felt was the pipe? Not trying to beat a dead horse, but trying to understand how that "ear" of the distributor cracked when the valve does not exert any force on that particular area.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:36 AM
C4S_fan
Burning Brakes

Assuming you don't crack this housing, the DIY is relatively straightforward.

Stated another way: don't screw up and you'll be fine

Originally Posted by ecobb993
Great writeup C4S_Fan. Looks like a "fun" project, which I thought I'd tackle after reading some of the other threads on the subject.

But after reading your experience, and that of a few others' here, think I'll stick with spending the 90 seconds or so every few months reading and resetting the CE. Then have the check valve replaced in several years when it's time to do a valve job or other project requiring engine drop.

Let's see, 90 secs X 4 times a year X, say, 5 years = 30 minutes. Yep, just what I thought, saved myself about 9 1/2 hours.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:52 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S_fan
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear.
My apologies... rereading your original post, you were quite clear... blame it on my por reading comprenshion.
Words and pictures at the same time have a habit of confusing me.

Curious... cost of the cracked piece?
Old 10-28-2005, 05:26 PM
campbesl
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 83 Posts

Dennis,

Very good writeup. I can now understand why I felt like my input during our phone calls was rather lame. I didn't have such problems as you experienced so I wasn't able to provide useful input. My luck I guess!

I was unable to read this whole thread until now due to preparations, experiencing the fun, and after-actions of hurricane Wilma. (My office is still without power so I'm sitting home typing with my daughter slobbering down my arm. )

Please keep us appraised of your progress on the project. GOOD LUCK!

Scott
Old 10-28-2005, 09:49 PM
C4S_fan
Burning Brakes

I've fit the new air distributor into place... I've screwed down one of the flare nuts of the aluminum hoses, but the other does about 2-3 threads and then gets stuck (when I screw it in by hand).

You can imagine I'm a bit gun-shy to force it for fear of stripping/crossthreading the housing.

I think more patience is required.. I'll play with it again tomorrow
Old 10-28-2005, 09:55 PM
campbesl
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 83 Posts

Viper Bob seems to know all about such things. Maybe if he's lurking out there he'll chime in...?

...?

...?
Old 10-28-2005, 10:04 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S_fan
I've fit the new air distributor into place... I've screwed down one of the flare nuts of the aluminum hoses, but the other does about 2-3 threads and then gets stuck (when I screw it in by hand).

You can imagine I'm a bit gun-shy to force it for fear of stripping/crossthreading the housing.

I think more patience is required.. I'll play with it again tomorrow
Might check the threading on the distributor - there may be a burr or nick on either of the threads.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:15 PM
C4S_fan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by epj993
Might check the threading on the distributor - there may be a burr or nick on either of the threads.
Yea, that's what I'm guessing... taking it out and putting it back in though.. huge PIA.

The other one had the same problem, but as I wiggled the distributor around, it finally screwed right in without problem. Which makes me think that it has to be aligned *perfectly*.

... or I have a burr/nick on one of the threads
Old 10-30-2005, 12:16 PM
C4S_fan
Burning Brakes

Update: I tried and tried to get the tube bolted in, I could only get a few threads in and it would stop. Again, I didn't want to strip it.

Randy & Scott (two rennlisters) came over and had a go at it. We finally agreed to pull it out... sure enough, one of the threads DOES have a burr! It looks like it came that way from the factory.. argh!!

We headed to the parts departments at the dealership and the parts guy told me to come back and talk to the Service Manager on Monday... I'm hoping that this is going to be a painless return and not a "well, it didn't leave the shop that way" experience.

Quick Reply: SAI Flush Update... look at what we broke.