Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How ofthen to Zaino the Paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 01:09 AM
95cab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really good stuff everyone. I'm trying to shine up my new-to-me 95 black cab and although I've done the searches and gone to the recommended sites I'm either dense or confused by all the options out there. Local guy said wash (with Maguiars) and use carnuba. Done. Now I've got to polish on top of the wax?! OK. But before I do this I have to 'clay' the car?

I'm getting ready to put it away dirty for the winter while I figure it all out!

Oh - and I feel like black has a much greater swirl factor than the metallics so I really value the other black-owners opinions (no dig on the metallics - sometimes I wish I had one!)
Old 10-22-2005, 08:37 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Brian -

There are a lot of good products out there. So, don't worry too much about getting the "perfect" one. However, note one thing about carnubas--they will make black cars look great (i.e. very wet looking), however they start losing their look within a few weeks. They're great for concours events, but not for long term protection.

I have a Black Metallic Cab that I got 3 months ago. Early on I detailed it just to give it that extra punch, get rid of some swirls, and have fun (yes, the detailing can be fun.) Rather than restate all I did, here are threads where I went through it all:

Interior/Exterior Detail: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/220096-detailing-the-new-ride.html
Engine Detail: https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...55&postcount=5
Wheel Repair: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/222898-alloy-wheel-repair-pictures.html

Also, autopia.com is a great place for detailing info--it's like Rennlist for detailers (both professional and hobbyists).
Old 10-22-2005, 01:56 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No matter what these guys say. Prep with 3m swirl remover, then 3m hand glaze, clay, then Rejex. You will not only be amazed and half blinded but you won't have to screw around with it for a VERY long time. Lasts and lasts and lasts. If you don't try this you will never know the truth.

Sputnik, you're going to be on our run 10/30. If you have any doubts about Rejex, you will see my car then. It will certainly enlighten you.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:58 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Originally Posted by fbfisher
I'm a 3M man. My car looks so good after a wash, the fine cut rubbing compound to take out all of the swirls and imperfections, and then 3M wax!
Hey Fred,

I have an almost full bottle of your beloved 3m wax, you're welcome to it. Good stuff but it ain't no Rejex.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:04 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mnmblu
Hey Fred,I have an almost full bottle of your beloved 3m wax, you're welcome to it. Good stuff but it ain't no Rejex.
Great, a gift from the Tiki gods!

I think I'll go play golf now, wanna join me.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:49 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Have you left yet?

Call me

Quick Reply: How ofthen to Zaino the Paint