Sponsored by:

Stereo questions from a novice

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 12:59 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Stereo questions from a novice

I'm not a big audio guy, but have some questions on the factory stereo system in Rufus: It is the CD210 (I think... the car is at home), with a 6 CD changer in the trunk, a cassette deck built in, and 10 buttons. I think there is no sound coming from those little tweeter looking things on the door panels.

Is this the standard stereo in my 1996 993TT? Are those tweeter things supposed to work? I find a CD changer in the trunk to be nearly useless, and who uses cassettes anymore? Where is the damn 8-track player?

So, for a guy who values audio very little (Waldo had a big amp in the trunk and a subwoofer hidden somewhere... sounded great, the few times I paid attention), are there some simple (read "cheap") upgrades I can do? Huge bang for the buck stuff?

Thanks. Once again, the key word is "cheap".
Old 10-19-2005, 01:14 PM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I'd say the biggest difference I noticed was changing the speakers. I would also change the head unit for a single CD front loader with a little more power to it, and if you are not an audiophile, then that should make enough of a difference. Keep the stock parts if it concerns you, they are easily swapped back.

I would recommend Focal speakers for the doors, and I stuck some MB Quart custom fits in the rear. It appears stock, especially in the back as I kept the stock grills.

As for the head unit just pop down to a car audio shop and see what you like, I prefer Pioneer, some like alpine, some sony, etc. I would look for 4x50W or better if you are upgrading the speakers.

Others are far more informed than I but this was what made the big difference, the stock speakers are aweful and the head unit amp under powered if you are going to change the speakers alone.

Hell, I'm saving for a set of subs in the back!
Old 10-19-2005, 04:48 PM
dpkoby
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve,
Check a post by pcar964 "installed a new stereo-what a difference". He put a basic pioneer headunit and some new front speakers in for about $200 and said it was a huge imporvement.
Dave
Old 10-20-2005, 10:20 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

A fair stereo shop should be able to put in a nice system for under $750.00. Any thing is better than stock !
Old 10-20-2005, 10:55 AM
djordan
Advanced

I disconected my 6 disk changer and hooked up my iPod up to the CDR 210 head unit. You need to leave the power wires conected to the changer as you need to "fool" the head that you are actually playing a CD. I have the hi-fi package on my 993. It sounds OK but you don't nessasiarilly buy a 993 if you want any music other than the motor.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:15 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeez, I don't know what I must have for speakers, but I have the hi-fi option and my system sounds great. And yes Steve, those little tweeter things should be working. I can't tell you where to look to figure out why they aren't (if they truely arent working) working, but I love my sys. It gets plenty LOUD and has nice sound until you really push it hard (and I don't listen to soft music if that gives you any indication )

The ipod thing through the casette is something I have just started too. Having that changer in the front is a PITA. Digital quality without the hastle
Old 10-20-2005, 04:21 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Steve,

I feel pretty much the same way about looking at a cassette player when I get into the car. I wanted to keep the radio roughly stock looking though and as others have mentioned, I am more interested in the music from the motor than the stereo.

Anyway, the cdr 210 and cdr 220 offer (near) drop in compatibility and an oem look that may avoid some stereo breakin temptation. They also offer an indash cd, and hookups for the cd changer or an ipod if you are into that. No control of the ipod through the head unit though.

I found a used cdr 220 (with a volume ****) for $160 here on Rennlist. I believe there were others as well.

No brainer for me.
Pete
Old 10-20-2005, 06:25 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for all the tips. How does a cdr220 differ from my cdr210? Is that a worthwhile upgrade? I think I should take the car to a stereo shop and see if there are some simple upgrades as suggested here... perhaps a couple of new speakers? Maybe there's some reason why my tweeter things don't work? Maybe a more modern unit with a bit more power? Thanks for all the tips.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:09 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 993inNC
Jeez, I don't know what I must have for speakers, but I have the hi-fi option and my system sounds great. And yes Steve, those little tweeter things should be working. I can't tell you where to look to figure out why they aren't (if they truely arent working) working, but I love my sys. It gets plenty LOUD and has nice sound until you really push it hard (and I don't listen to soft music if that gives you any indication )

The ipod thing through the casette is something I have just started too. Having that changer in the front is a PITA. Digital quality without the hastle
Having owned cars with both the standard 993 system and now the "Hi-Fi" system, I must agree that the latter is fine for my old ears, with part of my hearing still in SE Asia. Jimi, Janice and Jim Morrison sound great on the system!
Old 10-20-2005, 08:14 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Originally Posted by Bull
Having owned cars with both the standard 993 system and now the "Hi-Fi" system, I must agree that the latter is fine for my old ears, with part of my hearing still in SE Asia. Jimi, Janice and Jim Morrison sound great on the system!
Well for my ears and somewhat paricular tastes when it comes to sound quality, I have been very pleased with my factory system. I have grown up on everything after Jimi, Jim and Janice (with a little of them sprinkled in for good measure), and believe me, its MUCH LOUDER in composition. You'd never win a sound competition with it, but it sounds good up to 9 on the 10 scale.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:44 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could leave the cd in the trunk and the head unit in and just get some focal components for the front speakers and some (almost any brand besides stock) 4X6 for the rear deck. That would work great. The cdr 210 has a slit on the front of it and the cdr 220 has the flip down face for the cd. The focals alone will ramp that system up to where you want it for about 400 bucks.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:15 PM
Ezzy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GabiOsz
I would recommend Focal speakers for the doors, and I stuck some MB Quart custom fits in the rear. It appears stock, especially in the back as I kept the stock grills.

Hell, I'm saving for a set of subs in the back!
This was an old post, but did you ever get the subs and where did you put them? I've used MB Quart speakers before and thought they were the best speakers I had ever heard - though I'm not an audiophile. Glad to hear they can fit a porsche. I'll file that away for future reference.

EZ
Old 12-08-2005, 05:46 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Thanks for all the tips. How does a cdr220 differ from my cdr210? Is that a worthwhile upgrade? I think I should take the car to a stereo shop and see if there are some simple upgrades as suggested here... perhaps a couple of new speakers? Maybe there's some reason why my tweeter things don't work? Maybe a more modern unit with a bit more power? Thanks for all the tips.
Hey Steve... I changed from the CDR-210 to the -220 and have noticed a nice improvement in sound quality (granted, my -210 may have had issues as it truly sounded awful).

In looking at the option codes under the hood of my car, the CDR-210 was an upgrade option as I believe the stock stereo for the '96 (at least the C2) was a cassette-type Becker.

The main reason I upgraded to the -220 was the ability to easily hook-up an ipod, which I've done. There's an Aux-in on the back of the -220 that allows for connecting the ipod with the help of a special harness you can buy from Becker NA fairly cheaply. I also liked the look of the -220 over the -210 because of the round ***** as opposed to push buttons.

Good luck!
Old 12-08-2005, 06:24 PM
ON TIME
Pro

Steve, read thread stereo what type.

Quick Reply: Stereo questions from a novice