Sponsored by:

Looking for a G50/21 -Sources?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 06:48 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Looking for a G50/21 -Sources?

Like my father always said, "If you're gonna do something... ...you may as well spend waay too much money in the process."

I'm dropping my engine this winter to replace the clutch/flywheel/slave cylinder/PS belt/plugs and other misc. bits.

I've damn near got myself convinced to bite the bullet and source a nice G50/21.

I emailed Gert and Harald hoping to find a good example.
Unfortunately Gert is dry at the moment. Harald has a few but needs $3,900 (non-LSD) and $4,400 (LSD) for his 40K mile gearboxes. Shipping is included with those prices.
As much as I want to do this, I've already told HOUSECINC (wife) that I could get one for the $3K-3.5K range. I may have screwed myself there.

Am I completely dreaming or can I still get a nice euro box in this range? I did a search and thought I was in the ballpark with my original estimate.

Also, if I do manage to find one I can afford, how much could I reasonably expect to get for my U.S. G50/20 in good shape? Also, who is usually looking for one of our 993 gearboxes?
If I can recoup some of the cost, I can justify the expense.
Any advise, input, or tips would be appreciated.

Leland
Old 09-27-2005, 06:58 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 689 Likes on 489 Posts

Leland,
Seems I've seen G50/20 boxes on here listed for around $2500. I think Kvoygt (sp?) recentley sold his when he went with the G50/21. I think the price of the 21 boxes will go up not down. Along with the **** poor exhancge rate you are dealing with a finite number of good used boxes. Also the lower mileage boxes will, of course, be harder to come by as they have been in service longer. Harald seems to have a good rep here and you would be only out about $2k if you got $2500 for yours, worth it I think if you aren't realy going to have much in the way of labor with the engine already out. A re-gear of your exsisting box will be much more expensive although you could get the exact ratios you want.

One thing I will tell you about the 21 box is that whats good for one track might not be great for another. For example at the Glen in the back straight I run out of 5th gear but really don't have the time to get into 6th. So there the 20 box might be better. I know some have done a new ring and pinion to achive a similar result to re-gearing but really I don't know much about that. It is something you may want to research. Good luck.

Jamie
Old 09-27-2005, 08:41 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Keep in mind a newly purchased -21 box may need work as well. Buying from a reputable source such as Harald may be a good route.

For my situation, determining if my box has a slide-on second gear will play a huge factor whether or not I decide to regear my gearbox as I would have to lower 2nd as well as third and fourth. I cannot find supporting evidence as to when Porsche stopped installing these removeable second gear sets..
Old 09-27-2005, 08:47 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Keep in mind a newly purchased -21 box may need work as well. Buying from a reputable source such as Harald may be a good route.

For my situation, determining if my box has a slide-on second gear will play a huge factor whether or not I decide to regear my gearbox as I would have to lower 2nd as well as third and fourth. I cannot find supporting evidence as to when Porsche stopped installing these removeable second gear sets..
Build date in 94 odds are good You have the sliding 2nd.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:58 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Glen
Build date in 94 odds are good You have the sliding 2nd.
Ah, the man with such ratios My car is a 12/94 build. I'll keep my fingers crossed..
Old 09-27-2005, 09:04 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leland:

FWIW, I think you'll need to up your budget a little. I got a G50/21 LSD box three years ago. Only with patience I found a box for your price range. With the dollar so much lower to the euro, I suspect you'll need both time and luck to score a GOOD box for that price.

Also, I got my G50/21 through a Rennlister who bought in from Herald. The unit was in nice shape and worked well upon install. The /21 ratios are a lot of fun to drive compared with the /50 US box.

Best of luck with your search.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:13 PM
Glen
Race Car

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Ah, the man with such ratios My car is a 12/94 build. I'll keep my fingers crossed..
Chris, always livin on the edge...
Old 09-27-2005, 09:16 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Leland
FWIW, when I did the conversion 6k miles ago (1.5 yrs), I paid about $3,800 delivered for a G50/21 w/LSD from Gert who vouched for its history. It was priced in Euros & delivered in a few days. I sold my G50/20 to a guy in the UK for $2,500 + shipping. Apart from labor (& the LWF, RS clutch, etc.), the conversion was $1,300. Biggest bang for the buck I can imagine for a NA 993.

So far, not a hint of trouble with the box. Harald's price seems in line & it's not a part that's handy to return so there's value in buying from a reputable source.

I'm sure you've got the link to this fellow Rennlister's wonderful on-line program to compare rpm/mph between the Euro G50/21, the US G50/20 & the G50/21 w/RS 1st gear. If not, it can be found at http://members.rennlist.com/david_t/gears.htm and works w/IE, but not Netscape.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:47 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

Have you considered taking the box out and shipping it Brian Copan? He can duplicate the gears or go to something else. At the same time you can have your box gone through. You won't have the advantage of selling your box to offset the cost. However, you will have a great box with a lot of life left in it and you will know it's history.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:04 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Have you considered taking the box out and shipping it Brian Copan? He can duplicate the gears or go to something else. At the same time you can have your box gone through. You won't have the advantage of selling your box to offset the cost. However, you will have a great box with a lot of life left in it and you will know it's history.
This is the route I plan (someday, when my newly planted money tree blossoms) since I know my gearbox and its condition. Although I will regear it myself. Just got to get my butt in gear, so to speak
Old 09-27-2005, 10:11 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Talking Who is Harald????

I see that "Harald has a few but needs $3,900 (non-LSD) and $4,400 (LSD) for his 40K mile gearboxes." Who is this guy????

I wonder what kind of LSD you get (Hold the smart *** remarks! ) for $500, it can't be a Porsche Motorsport, or Guard LSD for that price. The Guard LSD is about $2,200 new...the PMS around $1,800.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:37 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

I would assume the LSD would be a factory installed as these gearboxes Harald as are 'take outs.' I presume, at least..
Old 09-27-2005, 11:52 PM
Glen
Race Car

I think I would have Chris Cervelli just build the box You want instead. Have a known qty for not much $ differential. I dunno, I always like that 5th to 6th fill in the 3,4,5 box for a street car. Gives it some grunt. Copan mentioned above is very good and does PMS work. Sometimes he is buried with the Proteam work however.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:14 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try the advert pages of 911 & P world or Total 911. Some dismantlers there.

There is also "van Zweeden" in NL. They have a good rep FWIW. They have 1 with LSD. Exact desig is not shown though. http://www.v-zweeden.com/

If you locate one and wish an in depth inspection, let me know. I'll try to help.

Good luck.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:51 AM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you so much for the responses guys. I know the best solution would be to have my current box built to my liking. Unfortunately, I don't have the cash for that job. (Remember fellas, I make less than some of you pay in taxes each year) I'm stretching to even consider changing the gearbox. I'm willing to stretch quite a bit though.

Monique, I emailed that comapny and hope to hear from them. We'll see what happens.
You know... what I wouldn't give to just be able to say, "Hey Harald, checks in the mail. Get me that gearbox."

Quick Reply: Looking for a G50/21 -Sources?