Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C2S pebble grain door inserts -- leather?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 06:55 PM
jberb55
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default C2S pebble grain door inserts -- leather?

Should the basketball-like textured panel on the door (where the tweet and window switches are) be treated like vinyl or leather? Tried searching here and the detailing forum, but couldn't find the answer. Thanks!
Old 09-24-2005, 07:03 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Leather. I'm told it is pig skin....very seasonal! I have seen vinyl treatment used and it wasn't pretty. You can recover from it with leather cleaner and preservative. Beware the less knowledgeable detail shops!
Old 09-24-2005, 07:06 PM
jberb55
Instructor

thanks Bob! your tale makes me very glad I asked.

Jeff
Old 09-24-2005, 07:46 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

my advice to you on the pebble grain is to just stay away from it. if you are going to treat it with anything, use your bare hand... it picks up lint no matter what type of towel you use... very hard to clean in my experience
Old 09-24-2005, 08:13 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Can someone post a picture of this?
Old 09-24-2005, 08:29 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
my advice to you on the pebble grain is to just stay away from it. if you are going to treat it with anything, use your bare hand... it picks up lint no matter what type of towel you use... very hard to clean in my experience
I have never had a problem with this "picks up lint" anymore than I do with the other leather surfaces in my car (seats, etc.). I use Lexol leather treatment products, cleaner followed by conditioner. Never any noticeable lint. No lint on seats, dash or doors.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:37 PM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Leland Pate
Can someone post a picture of this?
Here is my quick attempt:

I did not find this leather to be difficult to clean... Looks interesting, for sure.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:55 AM
jberb55
Instructor

mrsullivan, I discovered the same problem you did the first time I detailed this section. Previously I used an old cotton t-shirt, and today I used a yellow microfiber 3M "detailing cloth." Found it in my garage and I can't remember where/when I bought it... Measures 13"x15", is thin, and has kind of a waffle weave. No lint this time (so far)

I actually asked the original question because I was wondering if I treated this area with Vinylex (as opposed to Zaino's leather stuff) if it would look better. Using the microfiber seems to work well.

OT: Did you stop by the DE at MSR last weekend? A silver C2S was parked in front of the office for a little while, with a very pretty red 930. Oh yeah, and some kind of race car with a Gulf paint scheme

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:58 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jberb55
mrsullivan, I discovered the same problem you did the first time I detailed this section. Previously I used an old cotton t-shirt, and today I used a yellow microfiber 3M "detailing cloth." Found it in my garage and I can't remember where/when I bought it... Measures 13"x15", is thin, and has kind of a waffle weave. No lint this time (so far)

I actually asked the original question because I was wondering if I treated this area with Vinylex (as opposed to Zaino's leather stuff) if it would look better. Using the microfiber seems to work well.

OT: Did you stop by the DE at MSR last weekend? A silver C2S was parked in front of the office for a little while, with a very pretty red 930. Oh yeah, and some kind of race car with a Gulf paint scheme

Thanks for the replies everyone.
yes that was my silver C2S at MSR last weekend...i drove out there with John (JASTX) from this board in his new 993 replacement (red 930 turbo slantnose)... it was a fun afternoon...

are you in the DFW area? if so, PM me and maybe we can meet up sometime...

thanks for the tip on the microfiber/lint issue... i use Zaino for almost all my car care products with Waynes Towels microfiber...i have never been able to clean the pebble grain without lint problems...
Old 09-25-2005, 10:55 AM
aof
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Leatherique- applied by hand and or a soft paint brush. Excellent results. (Same treatment with dash-around the gauges)
Old 09-25-2005, 10:58 AM
Kolbjorn S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I apply Colorplus's "Soffener" Conditioner using a sponge on these door inserts, and it works pretty well - makes a lasting deep black shine rather than its original dirty-looking greyish-black surface.

Quick Reply: C2S pebble grain door inserts -- leather?