ARE MY TIRES OK FOR SEBRING?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 09:47 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ARE MY TIRES OK FOR SEBRING?

I'm going to Sebring this Sunday for DE, would like some opinions on my rear tires. (It's a 250 mile drive to the track, then I figure about 180 miles of track abuse)

I've never used ContisportContact 2s before - They're into the wear bars already on the inside, how long before I'm at the cords? If you look carefully, it looks like there's a different shade of rubber starting to show through on the inside blocks... almost looks like a different rubber compound is starting to show through.

My thinking is, the cords won't show through until I've worn all the tread off completely and the wear bars "are no more" - can anyone set me straight on this?

Thanks in advance guys!

(First two pictures are of Left Rear, last two are of Right Rear)

Last edited by pcar964; 12-04-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:54 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

pcar,

Looks like you have decent amount of tread. Highway running won't cause that much wear. If they were my tires, I'd run 'em 'til they corded. But I'm a cheap b*stard.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:07 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
pcar,

Looks like you have decent amount of tread. Highway running won't cause that much wear. If they were my tires, I'd run 'em 'til they corded. But I'm a cheap b*stard.
I've been eating one meal a day so I can afford this track day, my middle name is cheap !
Old 09-21-2005, 08:32 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Does anybody know why the rubber has changed colors like that? I know it's not heat cycles, because these tires have never been on a track.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:24 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Anyone?
Old 09-21-2005, 11:21 PM
vuugti
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oooo boy, that right rear looks as though it is wearing a little more on the inside (or outside can't tell). Your alignment looks good, but the wear on the edge would make me skeptical (similar scenario). For a rally type event hell yea, track sure IF I trailered there, drive - run and drive home, ehhhhh take your chances. I wouldn't, FWIW Mark trailers....so I don't even know if we can count him!

If you can line up some skins before, I would replace them or a trailer.

Not a clue on the different colored rubber.

Good luck,
Andy
Old 09-21-2005, 11:55 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Andy,

I hope they'll make the trip up, the treadwear on these bricks is 280, they're pretty hard. I'll take some pics at the track and also when I get back, should be interesting!
Old 09-22-2005, 11:09 AM
Dan V
Race Car

It'll be very interesting to me since I'm going to HSDS (thunderhill) Oct. 2 with ContisportContact 2s (altho w/considerably more tread). TIA for keeping us posted on your successful DE!
Old 09-22-2005, 11:59 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Depens on your driving...

It looks like there pretty good amount of thread left but then again, I once had same tyres with little more thread left and melted them totally in couple of sessions in Moroso...
Old 09-22-2005, 12:50 PM
911CabSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your Tech Inspection rules for treadware.. They typically have a minimum tread thickness spec to pas the tech inspection.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:20 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Depens on your driving...

It looks like there pretty good amount of thread left but then again, I once had same tyres with little more thread left and melted them totally in couple of sessions in Moroso...
Safe to say I'll be taking it considerably easier than I usually do this weekend. I'll check the tires carefully after each session, and take pictures to document their wear.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:27 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pcar964
Anyone?
It is not uncommon for modern perforamnce tires to be made of multiple compounds that surface as the tire wears. The rubber does harden over time and is usually why older tires suffer in terms of grip as they wear. Tire manufacturers are using a softer compound that is exposed once the tire wears down beyond a certain point. This prolongs the tire's usefulness as it wears down.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:19 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Alon
It is not uncommon for modern perforamnce tires to be made of multiple compounds that surface as the tire wears. The rubber does harden over time and is usually why older tires suffer in terms of grip as they wear. Tire manufacturers are using a softer compound that is exposed once the tire wears down beyond a certain point. This prolongs the tire's usefulness as it wears down.
Thanks Alon, that makes sense.

The car is handling a little strangely right now, I have Pilot Sports up front which are far grippier than the rear Conti's. On the plus side, I'll have a more tail-happy car for Sebring, maybe I'll get some Flying Finn-like slides going for the photographer

(No, I don't usually run different tires front-rear, but I had a nail in one rear few months ago, and couldn't find replacement Pilots in time so went with what I could find)
Old 09-22-2005, 11:31 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

You should be fine. There is more meat left before the cords than you think. You can take something metal the size of a paper clip (pyrometer works great) and poke around a little in the tire tread to see if you can feel the cords and see how much you have left.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:07 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
The car is handling a little strangely right now, I have Pilot Sports up front which are far grippier than the rear Conti's. On the plus side, I'll have a more tail-happy car for Sebring, maybe I'll get some Flying Finn-like slides going for the photographer

(No, I don't usually run different tires front-rear, but I had a nail in one rear few months ago, and couldn't find replacement Pilots in time so went with what I could find)
You're kidding, right?

Quick Reply: ARE MY TIRES OK FOR SEBRING?