Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pcar964
Thanks Alon, that makes sense.

The car is handling a little strangely right now, I have Pilot Sports up front which are far grippier than the rear Conti's. On the plus side, I'll have a more tail-happy car for Sebring, maybe I'll get some Flying Finn-like slides going for the photographer

(No, I don't usually run different tires front-rear, but I had a nail in one rear few months ago, and couldn't find replacement Pilots in time so went with what I could find)
pcar,
Are you running mis-matched tires at your DE event?
Old 09-23-2005, 12:44 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Taking it easy might just net you faster laps. My cool down laps are generally my fastest HWFM and all..
Old 09-23-2005, 12:56 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

pcar

Do NOT run different front and rear tires at any race track, let alone Sebring.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:00 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
pcar

Do NOT run different front and rear tires at any race track, let alone Sebring.
Ditto that,

Or if you insist on doing so, places like turn 1, Bishop bend, 17, be very very careful...

If you look at my videoclip (on my sig) from Sebring, I had little bit less grippier rear tyres at that time (all fours were MPSC's but rears were past their heat cycle life) and on Bishop bend when you're going 115+ mph and your rear surprises you and comes out FAST because of bad rear tyres, it can end up being very nasty.

Don't take that risk, instead, go to Ernies's Alloys here in Miami today and get used fronts from him.
I'm guessing he probably has same used fronts as your rears are or buy used four tyres from him.
He always has lot of used Porsche size tyres (deals a lot with Porsches) and for $100-200 you'll get safer tyres that are similarily worn as your tyres but are matching four.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:37 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Well, unfortunately I called Ernie's today and no answer, then I finally got someone on the phone 20 minutes ago, and they said they were leaving for the day. I forgot Ernie's had used tires, I should have taken care of it earlier this week!

I'm not too worried about it, I've run different front/rear combo before at Moroso (although they were 220 treadwear all around, so they were fairly close in terms of grip). These are 280 rear and 220 front, but like I say I WILL be taking it easy, I won't push it through turn 1 or Bishop. I'm quite comfortable with the back end stepping out anyway
Old 09-23-2005, 10:08 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

but like I say I WILL be taking it easy, I won't push it through turn 1 or Bishop. I'm quite comfortable with the back end stepping out anyway
You might add 17 , 16 (see DanS911's post) and 5 (all that car-flipping sand outside) to your "don't push it there" list
Old 09-23-2005, 11:55 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
You might add 17 , 16 (see DanS911's post) and 5 (all that car-flipping sand outside) to your "don't push it there" list
Not to mention the "Watering Hole", right?!
Old 09-24-2005, 12:04 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

lol

that too, Finn
Old 09-24-2005, 12:25 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

haha - thanks guys, good point... I guess I should think of it more like a "high speed track tour" instead of hot laps this weekend
Old 09-24-2005, 12:29 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

haha - thanks guys, good point... I guess I should think of it more like a "high speed track tour" instead of hot laps this weekend
well if your going out with bad tires. at least be careful, also remember, your not the only one out on the track. Be safe
Old 09-24-2005, 12:45 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Fill
well if your going out with bad tires. at least be careful, also remember, your not the only one out on the track. Be safe
only thing I'm more concerned about at the track than my car, is the safety of other drivers - if my tires become a safety issue (i.e. close to the cords, etc) I'll end my day without question. As far as the wierd handling because of different tires front and rear, I can back off to where I'm comfortable, so it won't be an issue. I'll be happy just to be out there, haven't been to Sebring in a while - so I certainly won't be pushing it!

Thanks for your concerns (and please know that I am equally cognizant of the safety of fellow drivers), I also don't take this stuff lightly!
Old 09-24-2005, 12:53 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

only thing I'm more concerned about at the track than my car, is the safety of other drivers - if my tires become a safety issue (i.e. close to the cords, etc) I'll end my day without question. As far as the wierd handling because of different tires front and rear, I can back off to where I'm comfortable, so it won't be an issue. I'll be happy just to be out there, haven't been to Sebring in a while - so I certainly won't be pushing it!

Thanks for your concerns (and please know that I am equally cognizant of the safety of fellow drivers), I also don't take this stuff lightly!
Old 09-24-2005, 01:14 AM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

New tires can be just as dangerous...
Ask me how I know...

I
I
\/
Attached Images  
Old 09-24-2005, 01:46 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ouch! I hope there wasn't much damage, looks like it was a wild ride!

Quick Reply: ARE MY TIRES OK FOR SEBRING?