Frozen rotors...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 08:01 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Frozen rotors...

Hey gang,

With all this recent talk of big reds, AGAIN.. I think I am going to stay with stock brakes. Both my brother and I are aggressive drivers and we shared the car at Thunderhill and had no brake fade or problems for two days.

If, in the future, our double duty starts to tax the brakes, then I will consider it, but for now.. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

-- So now for my question. My wrench has suggested that I cryogenicaly freeze my rotors. It is not that expensive and it supposed to make the rotors last much, much, much longer.

If doing this can extend the life of my rotors 2x or 3x, is there any reason not to do it? Again, I am not trying to increase performance, just the life cycle of the rotors.. My car is getting double duty for DE's.

B
Old 09-22-2005, 08:06 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,089 Likes on 2,868 Posts

I used to use frozen rotors on my 951S track car and the improvement was modest (nowhere near the 2x or 3x you cite). They still cracked...
Old 09-22-2005, 08:21 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was sponsored for three seasons by Diversified Cyrogenics who became Frozen Rotors. I can say that I got an avarage of three events (weekends) out of the frozen rotors compared to two max from stock cross drilled. They also seemed a bit less prone to warping from heat when compared to stock zimmermans.
I have never used a rotor that didn't crack and had a few come apart in the past, so no matter what you run, keep an eye on them after a full weekend of track time, especially if your brake cooling isn't that good.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:26 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 71 Posts

actually, for brake cooling, I have RAM AIR ducts that I installed a long time ago.

Also, I am surprised to hear that your rotors only last 2-3 events.
Mine have lasted much, much longer than that and I am not a newbie driver.

Granted I do DE's with my Pcar, but 2-3 events??

B
Old 09-23-2005, 10:06 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tried it once; hardly noticed a difference in rotor life.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:31 AM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had great results with Frozen Rotors. I would say that they last at least twice as long as untreated rotors. I am talking about DE events and PCA Club Racing but not pro racing. It seems, in my experience, that it is critical to "break them in." If you just bolt them on the night before an event and start hammering them right away, it seems that you loose some, if not all, of the benefit. If, however, you put several gentle heat cycles on them, they seem to respond very well with great longivity. Like Zombie said, all rotors crack frozen or not.

Hank
Old 09-23-2005, 08:13 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for the slightly OT question, not to hijack thread, but anyone know of options other than OEM or Zimmerman rotors for standard 993s? I haven't seen any online or in catalogs (i.e. slotted rotors, etc)...
Old 09-23-2005, 09:06 PM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have run frozen rotors for two year prior to this year. I wanted to test the difference since my car is in a steady state and I run mostly the same events/tracks over a year period.

My experience is that the frozen rotors lasted about 25% longer over this years OEM rotors. I used the same pads, same tracks, same tires, same cooling, etc. There are clearly much more cracking in the OEM rotors as compared to the Frozen Rotors. And as other said, they all crack no matter what rotor you use, except for the back rotors

I did not notice any performance difference as some folks believe the frozen rotors might perform less well, but I did not find that to be the case.

I do not know of any one that has slotted rotors available for the normal brakes. Youc an get them for the larger reds though.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:05 AM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran only POC Cup races, PCA Club races and the PRO Racing Series with lots of temporary street courses. The only problem with temps is no long straight for the brakes to cool and really low speed entries to the 90 deg turns, it's very hard on brakes & I've trashed a set of untreated rotors in one weekend before.

At the Grand Prix of Tijuana in the 90's, I saw a Mexican RX-7 V-8 race car lose it's brakes and hit the K rail almost head on at about 100mph, he got about 10 ft of air and went over a few people (spectators), spearing a tree with the left side of the car shattering his left leg completely. He retired that day.

After that my rule was new brakes (rotors, pads & fluid) for every event until Frozen came along, then no matter how good they (Frozen) looked, I still only went two events before fresh ones. Porsches are really expensive to repair so "Better safe than sorry".

I think the Frozen Rotors are worth the little extra they cost, try a set and decide for yourself.......no affiliation etc..............

ZP44

Quick Reply: Frozen rotors...