993 Registry

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 12:48 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 Registry

http://www.993registry.org/

An informal 993 registry is being started ... see above link .... for those interested....no affiliation etc etc etc
Old 09-20-2005, 12:52 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Can anyone explain why I should go enter all my information there? I don't get it. Doesn't look like I can view other vehicles or information or anything, so what's the point, other than giving somebody my car's VIN, options, and address so they can come steal it from me?
Old 09-20-2005, 12:58 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've visited that site before. I didn't sense any diabolical plot. However I couldn't see any benefit from giving my VIN number and info either.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:17 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 925 Likes on 559 Posts

It will become a telemarketers' data base and your worst nightmare.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:26 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It was designed to keep a public record of 993's in general, much like the early 911S registry and the 356 registry (do a google search and you'll see what I mean). Harvey has stated that he is modifying the site as it grows and will have more stuff for us to see soon & is also having T-Shirts made as we speak.

TheOtherEric,
If he takes the time to come from North Carolina to California to steal my 993, then he deserves it based on distance & effort alone.
Remember, if I see your car and write down the vin# on your windshield, I have tons of sources to give me all the information I need to find where it lives and steal it.

Terry,
I'm sure if you check with your healthcare professional he will have a phobia name for being afraid of telemarkters, please don't fret when you're diagnosed, I'm also sure one of the big drug companies will have a pill you can take for it, that is, with some mild side effects.

I think there is no harm in doing this, but to each his own.

ZP44 (one of the original 12 charter members @ 993 Registry)
Old 09-20-2005, 01:37 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

ZP44, sure I don't see any harm in doing it either, but nor do I see any usefullness of the database.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:22 PM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Geez some of you people are paranoid ...

While I appreciate the healthy skepticism of some of the group (Terry Adams, TheOtherEric) I do take offense that you that think this is some sort of marketing ploy and that I am looking to rip someone off.

I setup this site with the intentions of providing a dedicated support/information avenue for 993 owners and enthusiasts. That's it. I am not going to sell or give away any information to anyone just like I do not sell or give away the listing of over 1,200 members of our PCA Region ... of which I am the Membership Chair.

Back to the VIN. The only way to have a legitimate 'registry' is to ask for the VIN. The 356 Registry (www.356registry.org) requests VINs. The 928 Registry (www.928registry.org) requests them also. Most other registries do too.

If you think this is a rip-off ... then for Pete's sake don't register. If you want to register but don't want to put your VIN that's fine. I will include you on relevant emails but I will not include your car in any statistics because I cannot verify the existance of your car. Fair enough?

Right now this may not seem that big of a deal to document a specific car or options. But 10 or 15 years from now it will matter. A lot. Just ask the 356 guys.

Anyway ... I hope this clarifies the intent and purpose of the website.

FYI - Currently there are about 25 cars registered. The first 50 will be considered 'Charter' members and will receive free '993Registry.org' window stickers.

Regards,
Old 09-20-2005, 06:19 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Harvey I tried registering a week or two ago and it didn't take my information.
Is the site fixed?

Lee
Old 09-20-2005, 06:26 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 925 Likes on 559 Posts

My apologies Harvey. The brevity of my post precluded an explanation of how a registry like this with honorable purpose can get into the hands of people with other intentions. Even though I said 'it will become" I should have said "might", and should have made it clear that it is not starting out that way. Best luck with your effort.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:45 PM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

With all of the internet rip-offs today I completely understand where you were coming from. Thanks for the follow-up.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:04 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Harvey Yancey
.... The only way to have a legitimate 'registry' is to ask for the VIN. The 356 Registry (www.356registry.org) requests VINs. The 928 Registry (www.928registry.org) requests them also. Most other registries do too. ....
Hmmm..... I'm not certain I agree:

http://registry.rennlist.com/

It has far more "registered owners" than any other independent "Registry" - the "356 Registry" being the exception, as folks have to supply VIN info only to become a Member (not unlike PCA)..??

Just an FYI...

John D.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:17 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I just registered mine. First 1996 C2 Cab in the registry.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:22 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You know enuf about me without me having to enter info on another stupid "Big Brother" list.

I'll pass.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:35 PM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

But the question is whether the information gathered is useful or not.

PCA is not a registry per se. They require ownership in order to join. They could care less what options a car has or how original it is.

What I want to be able to do is when someone is looking to buy WP0AA2993VS321489 in the year 2016 we have a record that says indeed that the car had a limited slip and sunroof delete. Like I said this information may not be a huge value now but it will be in the future.

While I appreciate everyone's views but this is what I am doing with the site and whether you chose to participate or not is your decision.

Worse case scenario you'll have a cool sticker for your car.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:41 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 729 Likes on 357 Posts

Wow, there really are a lot of paranoid people out there....

First of all, as a PCA Membership chairman, Harvey probably could have access to all of you PCA 993 members anyway. But, in keeping with the vow of confindentiality, he doesn't use that. Have any of you been specifically solicited by him to join? No? hmmm.... maybe it's because he doesn't use the PCA info for telemarketing purposes...

OK, here's another one for you...Let's take you, Ray Calvo. I see you have a very nice 993 and live in Pittsburgh, PA. Think I couldn't find out everything about you with a few mouse clicks? And, you FREELY give up the info I just stated. Harvey is keeping everything confidential. Where's the harm?

I, for one, am proud of my 993 cab, and have no problem sharing it with everyone.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Quick Reply: 993 Registry