Sponsored by:

RS Pulley Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 10:41 PM
faster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question RS Pulley Upgrade?

I noticed my alternator fan had been rubbing the shroud so i suspect the alternator bearings are on their way out. While in there fixing that problem i'd like to ask if the general consensus is to do the RS pulley update?

Also some small cracks on a few fan tip bases, any concerns??

thanks!

1995 993 Coupe (black)

Last edited by faster; 09-14-2005 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:54 PM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd go for the RS pulley up-grade if I were you . . . my car has it . . . but it was on there when I bought it. I recall seeing the receipt for the work at Hergesheimer (probably still have it), and IIRC, it was rather inexpensive.

Scott
Old 09-14-2005, 03:10 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

The only downside I have found is the alternator cannot keep up to the current draw (especially at night) when the engine is idling. This means you might get dimming lights at idle and when the RPM goes up the lights will brighten. Once its above idle its no problem. My car has the RS pulley setup. When idling the system voltage is quite low. It does not seem to cause any real problems though.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-14-2005, 04:34 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Stupid question but what is the difference and why?

Thanks,

David
Old 09-14-2005, 05:44 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The RS pulley has a single belt. The pulley is smaller diameter... hence why Mike in CYVR is having low voltage at idle. It was meant this way. Also the alternator on the RS has a lower output. IIRC 36 ah. The battery is also 36 ah. Keep the weight low

IMO... if you use AC lots and are stuck in traffic with the cooling fan running on high... think again. But if you car is a toy (where you start it and head for the open road) as opposed to a DD, then the mod might be worth considering.

Otherwise, think about the downside.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:33 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 571 Likes on 393 Posts

I have the RS pulley on both of mine, but neither are used for daily drivers or w/ a large electrical load.

I have been suspicious for a while that when the battery gets worn down, it may contribute to a lower than normal idle speed.

lately I have been keeping them both on a battery tender when parked for a long stretch of time w/ no idle issues.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:40 AM
faster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks guys for the replies !!

by the way, do you retain the belt sensor and does it need any adjustments or modifications?

thanks
Old 09-15-2005, 01:09 AM
cowtown
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You remove the sensor, because you can rely on the alternator light on the dashboard alone. If the single belt breaks, the alternator and fan stop. The sensor plug requires a jumper when you put the new pulley in.

I drive my '95 to work and back every day, sometimes in 110F heat with the AC and stock radio on, in stop and go traffic, and I've had no problem with the RS pulley setup for eight months or so. I think as long as you have enough non-traffic driving the battery will charge right back up.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:19 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 925 Likes on 559 Posts

I had an alternator belt shred once, but was able to drive it a couple of miles to the nearest independent. Is it my correct understanding that an RS pulley and single belt would mean no fan either, therefore no short emergency drive?
Old 09-15-2005, 02:27 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I left the sensor in and it works fine. Not sure why you would remove it unless it was broken.

Yes, if the belt goes the fan and the alternator goes as well. The beauty is the ease of putting a belt on...keep a spare and the proper size wrench and you can change it in a jiffy.

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: RS Pulley Upgrade?