Kinematic toe-in tool?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 05:29 PM
Janina993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kinematic toe-in tool?

Hello friends!

I have adjust my wheel allignment many times, but I can't adjust kinematic toe-in from rear because I don't have those special tools. Official Porsche service doesen't have those as well... (maybe because we have about 10-15 993 in Finland for now) (they have promissed to purchase tools in near future... two years ago)

I have a smell how it should adjust but some day I want to do it precisely.

Part numbers for those tools are 9549 and 9550. Problem is, thease tools cost about 2000 euros from Porsche and I think it's too much for only my private use.

Can I find thease tools from somewhere a bit cheaper??
Old 09-13-2005, 05:47 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a Kinematic RS tool knockoff from Autometrics for about $500 when no one on the island had the means to set the kinematic toe correctly. I've been able to set my rear alignment fairly well using this tool.

http://www.autometricsmotorsports.com/
Attached Images   
Old 09-13-2005, 08:51 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ooooh. This is interesting. At $300 a pop for an alignment, I'd love to find a way to do them at home, so I can tak emy engine out now and then and also play with my suspension.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:20 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
Ooooh. This is interesting. At $300 a pop for an alignment, I'd love to find a way to do them at home, so I can tak emy engine out now and then and also play with my suspension.
Rick,

You still need to have the car aligned. This tool is used while it is up on the alignment rack and they are setting the rear toe and camber adjustment.

Is $300 what they charge to do an alignment? Is that an average price for 993s or just what the shop you take it to charges? Seems a bit high to me.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:22 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

$270-$300 is what the only two shops I trust charge for a 993 alignment. My SC is considerably cheaper to align.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:51 AM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts

Kelly,

I can't find the tool on their website. Where is it hiding?
Old 09-14-2005, 02:04 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry... forgot to mention, they don't have it listed on their site... don't ask me why... I would think they would sell a bunch of them if they advertised or at least listed it.

You need to call. I talked to Gordon Friedman, the owner of the shop... he was very helpful, but very busy and difficult to get in touch with at times... 6 hr diff in time zones didn't help.

Good luck
Old 09-14-2005, 12:12 PM
Janina993
Advanced

kkim, this tool is not exactly same I'm looking for but I'll contact Autometrics if they have two spirit level tools for basic 993. Thank you for tip!

If someone know more places where to ask tools, please let me know.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:40 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Janina993-

Is your car lowered to RS height? If so, you will need this tool to do the KT measurement as the 2 level method shown in the service manual will not work on severely lowered cars.

Read this thread for more info...

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ht=autometrics
Old 09-14-2005, 08:20 PM
Janina993
Advanced

Thank you kkim.

It was iteresting thread. It seems that we all have same problem, many porsche service doesen't have tools to set up kinematic toe-in correctly. My 993 is handling well, but how I can ever know can it handle even better if I can't check KT. I'm 100% sure it makes big different in handling if KT is set uncorrect or correct. Anyway KT should be checked allways if you adjust camber.

I have now RS wheel allignment and ride height. Service manual do mention that RS wheel allignment should be done with this 2 level method (max. difference 1,5 scale units between two spirit level). I agree it can't be done if car is lowered too much.

I'm not an engineer but I believe KT can't be adjusted with this tool you shown before. It's more like adjusting caster.

So far I have done this with two short spirit level tool and try to get bubbles near each other as possible. but I'm not sure doese original tools fit parallel with KT arms. So I need original one or after market tool but it's VERY hard to find.

Chris seems to know all about kinematic, I hope he knows where to find tools too

Quick Reply: Kinematic toe-in tool?