Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Pasadena, CA mechanic recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 09:55 PM
kevin993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pasadena, CA mechanic recommendations?

Newbie 993 owner, so I need to find local shops to help take care of the car. Can anyone recommend garages/mechanics in or near the Pasadena, CA area?

For future reference, I'm also looking for a good Porsche body shop and a detailer in the Pasadena area as well. I'd like to have some good advice in my files when/if the need arises.

Thanks,
Kevin

Old 09-04-2005, 11:42 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not too much on this side of town. I've heard good things about Scientific Auto in Pasaden and Glenn Yee in San Dimas but have no personal experience with them. The other alternative is TRE in North Hollywood. They did a PPI for me on a car and I thought they did a good job. The mechanic, Tyson, seemed like he knew his stuff and was pretty straight forward.

If you find a good one, let me know. I've posted the same question in the past and gotten those two recommendations.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:21 AM
Rick Sylvestri
Racer

TRE would be my first choice.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:56 AM
993polarsilver
Racer

I've used Glenn Yee Motorsports several times and found Glenn and his crew to be excellent. The work is wonderful and Glenn always takes time to thoroughly explain everything. No affiliation, I've just found the guy to be honest, straightforward and highly competent. His shop is at the end of the 210 fwy, probably 20 mins from Pasadena. Good luck and welcome to the forum!!!
Old 09-07-2005, 12:14 AM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Kevin,

Peter at Scientific Automotive PERIOD!

Scientific has been around for 40 plus years and My family has been taking their Porsches there since 1969. The orginal owner was Roger Bursch the mad genius behind Bursch exhausts. Jack, the current and 2nd owner used to work for Roger and has kept up the quality. He was totally honest on a couple of PPI's and prevented us from buying a couple of potential lemons. He will tell it like it is.

Oh and he is pretty reasonable.

PM me if you want more info.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:43 AM
agent325
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I highly recommend Scientific as well. My family has been taking our Porsche and BMW to Jack for years!
Old 09-07-2005, 02:15 AM
kevin993
Rennlist Member

That's the kind of good feedback I was looking for. Thanks very much for the info. Any suggestions on detailers in the Pasadena area as well? (She is a black car after all...)
Old 09-07-2005, 02:29 AM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The guy associated with Absolute Automotive on Arroyo Parkway. Frank is his name. A effing magician. The shop is next to Absolute but since I take the Lexus there I always drop it off at Absolute. My wife let a numnut who worked out the parking lot at her building and he scorched the paint. Frank brought it back to life. Do not worry the idiot no longer works there. He ain't cheap but he is good.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:03 AM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had different experiences with Scientific Automotive. I took my car in for hood shock change, alarm malfunction trouble shoot, and a possible syncro change on existing extended warranty. The owner was very condecending (maybe because I am young?) throughout the entire ordeal and always acted like he didn't need my business (on the computer while i talked to him, interrupted me while I talked to him, talked to other people in mid conversation, take 5 mins to respond to a question I had, etc.)

For some reason, the alarm worked perfectly while in their care, which was not their fault, but the attitude that I received was like I was crazy or something. Even after I had said I already changed the remote battery, they changed it again and told me it was just the battery and then even tried to charge me for the measly $6 battery. Moreover, when they confirmed that my 2nd gear syncro was going out, I asked if this was a common thing on 993's and they said they've never seen one with a bad syncro at any mileage (accoring to many rennlisters, this is a common accurance) and then implied that I had abused the car with power shifts etc. when I never did anything remotely close to even be considered abuse. Then they began acusing the previous owner of abuse and their justification of that was due to the GT2 splitters/spoiler on the car. I didn't want to argue so I simply asked for a quote on replacing the syncros. They kept giving me excuses until they finally had a quote for me 2 weeks later. I then asked if they could call my extended warranty company and see if it would be covered (no sweat off their backs) but they never called me back. I kept calling and I kept getting the same response: "We're really busy I'll call them tomorrow and give you a call." For another two weeks they played this game until my warranty expired. In the end I picked up my car and they gave me a bill for $250 for the hood shock replacement and time spent troubleshooting the alarm that they ever fixed (I finally fixed it myself by simply replacing the alarm module). I told them my warranty would cover it and to call them for payment. I'm assuming they never even called because I never got a bill for my deductable.

I don't know what the story is there. Maybe they are selective with their customers? All i know is that I am never taking my car back there and for you to be careful if you do decide to take your car there. If you receive any hint of rudeness, I'd take the car somewhere else.

BTW, I took my car there on recommendation from my neighbor, whom is good friends with them. I even mentioned my neighbor but still got treated poorly.

Quick Reply: Pasadena, CA mechanic recommendations?