Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rock chipped windshield repair ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 03:02 PM
tlark
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rock chipped windshield repair ?

Anyone ever tried getting one filled or does it even work. I had read that our OEM glass on these cars is pretty thin and it doesn't work. Mine not significant, about 3/8 in total width.

Was coming back from the lake yesterday after seeing these guys below run 201mph. Bummer getting a chip in the glass but well worth the trip.
TIA
Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2005, 03:12 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Tom -

About two weeks ago I got a stone chip in my windshield coming in to work. A crack resulted that was about 3/8" long. I immediately called my insurance company that has free crack repair. Within an hour (to my surprise), I had a mobile unit there to fix the crack/chip. They used a polymer that is apply into the crack to seal and hold it. It turned out great.

The repairman told me that if you get them repaired quickly, it avoids moisture and/or dirt from getting into the crack and results in a better repair. In my case, the crack has not spread and is about half as noticeable as it originally was.

I've had a number of chip repairs on other vehicles that have turned out equally well.

FWIW, my windshield is original.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:01 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tom
The injection repairs work quite well if it's down to the laminate. However, it can be a distraction if it's in your sight line since there will be some distortion. Many insurance companies waive the deductible & have deals w/local repair shops. Call your agent for a lead. The repair will not work for a surface chip.

BTW, cover the hole/crack w/tape asap to keep out contaminants for a cleaner repair.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:54 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have done several of these myself on the Porsche and Audi using a kit bought from J. C. Whitney (used it so frequently I ran out of the crack fill resin!).

(Note - both cars have also had windshields replaced. Gives you an idea of the joyous roads around here!)
Old 08-29-2005, 10:43 PM
tlark
Drifting

Thanks all, as usual knowledge from this board is second to none. Call ins. agent, "if its under the size of a quarter yes we will pay for this service" he says. I say "you have recommendation" end of story, guy comes to my house and its done by 5pm this afernoon. It can be seen ever so slightly.

Is this a great country or what !!!
Old 08-29-2005, 11:54 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to hear, Tom.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:12 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 134 Posts

I have a chip that I got within a week of replacing my windshield. It is behind the mirror, so I can only see it from outside. After reading this thread, I think that I will get it fixed. Thanks
Old 08-30-2005, 01:19 AM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think the prices on windshields have come down lately. I had a Sigla installed in my car for $400 last week(Total out the door) - though they did reuse the outer molding. No more pits.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:21 AM
kmatts
Racer

I had a massive chip last year on my 1990C2 (sold now). i thought there was no way they could repair it. well...they sure did. the injection system works great and i could hardly even notice it after repair. i had it repaired by Speedy Auto Glass. my insurance covered it. I had zero out of pocket costs and did not have to make a "traditional claim".
oddly enough, i just got a big rock chip on my 993. I need to get that fixed!
Cheers, Kyle.

Quick Reply: Rock chipped windshield repair ?