Sponsored by:

Rev Limiter Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 01:26 PM
Sooner
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Rev Limiter Question

Need some info on potential damage from hitting the Rev Limiter. I was out for a rather spirited drive yesterday and hit the rev limiter twice. 1st time was in second gear during a pass, I was so focused on looking ahead for traffic, I hit the rev limiter then immediatley shifted to 3rd.

2nd time was in 4th gear, again looking ahead didn't think I'd get near it, but briefly felt it then shifted to 5th.

I assume it's there to protect the engine, and that hitting the limiter will do no damage on an ocassional basis. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:33 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

No harm done if you bump into it occassionally by mistake (assuming you're all warmed up), that's what it's there for, but I wouldn't make a habit of it or run along bouncing off of it ...
Old 08-28-2005, 01:35 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. Occasionally bumping the rev limiter will not cause damage.

You WILL damage your engine if you cause it to over-rev on a down shift (where the rev limiter does not help).
Old 08-28-2005, 01:44 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Brian -

I've seen rookie drivers hit the rev limiter lap after lap at DE events. It can't be a great thing to do on a regual basis. I think your initial thought is probably accurate, occasionally hitting the limiter is not a terrible thing but, its something I'd learn to avoid.

Your neighbor Steve Weiner will probably chime in with very sage advice. Can anyone tell me if the 993 limiter retards fuel or spark?

Thanks
Old 08-28-2005, 02:18 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you could damage you car by hitting the rev limiter, what would be the point of having it?
F-1 and most upper end race cars in lots of race series use rev limiters to regulate the pit road speeds so the driver doesn't have to match the revs to the gear as his/hers only way to keep from getting a stop n' go penalty or worse.

In theory, you cannot damage your engine by hitting the rev limiter while accelerating, but, I wouldn't drive around for extended periods while your engine stutters.

As mentioned by Tom W., the biggest NO NO to keep in mind is, should you hit 3rd instead of 5th while down shifting at 150 mph or hit 1st while trying for 3rd at 80mph, you will cause an immeadiate overrev that will more than likely slam some of your expensive valves into the more expensive pistons and destroy precious bits your engine.
Be familiar and accurate with your gear box and pay special attention to your down shifts, there is never a need to hustle through the gears while braking/downshifting, the speed will dictate when to drop another gear.

I have seen lot's of blown motors from drivers who got in too big of a hurry downshifting while trying to overtake under brakes or just did it due to fatigue.
No matter what the reason, I guarentee it will be really expensive to remedy that split second mistake.

ZP44
Old 08-28-2005, 03:43 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm..... hitting the rev limiter in 4th gear, that was a spirited drive!
Old 08-28-2005, 04:08 PM
Sooner
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

HTML Code:
Hmmm..... hitting the rev limiter in 4th gear, that was a spirited drive!
Ummm...yeah it was to say the least! First chance I've had to really onpen her up. Very Deserted back raod...no oncoming traffic & more importantly no driveways, intersections etc.... I had the car on the track last week but only hit about 115, yesterday I hit 140.

That was plenty fast for me & something I only do on Very rare ocassions when conditions are right.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:10 PM
slapshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

I ponderd that very thought too Crimson. In 4th? That would mean you were going at least . . . . Ha!
Old 08-28-2005, 05:26 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You would know rather quickly if you caused any damage. IMO, 4th and hitting the limitator is really on the edge and you need to try watching the tach more. Most important is not over reving when downshifting. There is no limitator for that, and it will quickly bend your valves.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:00 PM
Doc V.
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Exceeding the rev limit by using the throttle creates a range 1 overrev, and the rev limiter will protect the engine. However, exceeding the rev limit by increasing the engine's rpm by, say, botching a downshift--by shifting from fifth gear to first gear at 120 mph, for example--creates a range 2 overrev which will damage the engine.

Old 08-28-2005, 09:58 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by ZombiePorsche44
If you could damage you car by hitting the rev limiter, what would be the point of having it?
F-1 and most upper end race cars in lots of race series use rev limiters to regulate the pit road speeds so the driver doesn't have to match the revs to the gear as his/hers only way to keep from getting a stop n' go penalty or worse.
Unfortunately, we don't have quite the same technology as F1 cars. Hitting that rev limiter, as has been already mentioned, is okay on a very occasional basis, but it is unnecessarily hard on the engine and should really be avoided at all costs. Ask Steve Weiner what he thinks of bangin' up against the limiter.

The rev limiter is no substitute for common sense, mechanical finesse and basic attention to driving.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:33 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fifth to first at 120 <?>

tino
Old 08-29-2005, 12:56 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by soltino
Fifth to first at 120 <?>
Known as the "money shift".
Old 08-29-2005, 12:19 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mark in Baltimore,
I know the technology in these cars and was not advocationg hitting the rev limiter on every up shift. I was just stating that if you do hit it momentarily, it will not harm the engine, that is, unless you keep your foot to the floor and hold it.

You quote "The rev limiter is no substitute for common sense, mechanical finesse and basic attention to driving" is a good piece of advice but I would also like to add that an AutoMeter race tach with programmable shift light can be a good investment too.

ZP44
Old 07-27-2012, 05:43 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

Had to search for a thread like this with my 993TT. I haven't audibly heard the engine "bounce" off the limiter but a few times I was a bit scared if the car had a limiter because it spins up/revs up so fast and the redline is relatively low compared to more modern cars. Accelerating hard in 3rd then slowly backing off the throttle I was shocked how close I was to redline and wondered if I may have passed it. Glad to know there is a limiter now. The cars soo much faster than anything I have driven I'm inclined to watch the road and not the tach when giving it the beans . . . . but I guess it is directly in front of me.

Quick Reply: Rev Limiter Question