Sponsored by:

95 993 Engine Tapping...????

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 12:51 AM
Bladz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 993 Engine Tapping...????

I have a 95 993 with 104k miles on it now and this afternoon it starting a tapping noise coming from the engine...I think it may be a lifter.

Question is is it safe to drive it or can it cause more damage?

Question does anyone know of a good Porsche mechanic in or near upstate NY, or NJ, or PA.

If it is a lifter should I do the engine mods for more HP?
Old 08-25-2005, 12:55 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

With a collapsed, or collapsing lifter, one should refrain from driving the car. Up to you if you should modify for more HP, unless of course you'd like to remove the engine altogether and 'go for it'

These lifters can be replaced with basic hand tools, not that difficult, really. There are two lengths of these lifters. Be sure to order the correct one(s).
Old 08-25-2005, 01:01 AM
Bladz
Advanced

Chris, Thank you...I can sleep easier tonight since this my new toy not even a month old. Where can I find out how to do the lifter replacement and make sure that is what it needs.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:54 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

While I dont have a link for this DIY, I will explain.
First you must determine which side of the engine the noise is coming from, then if its exhaust or intake. This will narrow it down to three possibilities. Remove that valve cover to gain access to the rockers. Personally, I would replace all three, to ensure you 'get' the one. Otherwise, you can wiggle each rocker, looking for the lose one. Keep in mind each rocker you check cannot be on the camshaft ramp.
Removing the rocker is just two bolts. Once the rocker is out (dont mix them up if you have more than one out), the lifter cartridge is just a press fit.

I have a collapsing lifter myself, coming from the exhaust side of the left bank. Needless to say, I have not been driving the car. Once I get time, I will be replacing all three on this bank, and possibly the other three exhaust lifters, for preventive measure.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:06 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris,

Good info. Tapping noise, as in valves that need adjustment type of sound/noise, or louder? Any other symptoms to look out for or to confirm?
Old 08-25-2005, 02:09 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I have found the tapping noise from a failed or slow to pressurize lifter is quite loud, much louder than normal valve clatter. Its a "tick, tick, tick" like a bomb ready to go off in the engine. I have had it happen twice on cold start. I stopped and restarted the car and it was OK. I plan to to my top end this winter and will replace all the lifters.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:13 AM
Bladz
Advanced

My tapping started oddly but I guess it had to start someway...the engine was quiet then I shut it off and restarted 1 hr later and it was tapping away. It increased the tapping speed as the rpms climbed...I was stressed as I passed cars and heard the echo!

I checked the oil and added 3/4 quart and stil tapping. I reved it up and restarted a few times but still tapping away...maybe it will fix it self tonight. ha
Old 08-25-2005, 05:20 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too had one lifter go noisy on me. Since I use Shell 0-40, these mothers have little excuse not to pressurize promptly. Soo.. I too will have an engine out maintenance this winter.

Have you thought of doing the work yourself? Not exactly rocket science you know... plus there is a great DIY by our webmaster when he did this exact work on his car. It will also give you such a huge feeling of accomplishment and save you a bundle of shekels!

The DIY is seen by going to "all forums" then scroll down to the "diy"section... right here on RL
Old 08-25-2005, 05:44 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Monique
Have you thought of doing the work yourself? Not exactly rocket science you know... plus there is a great DIY by our webmaster when he did this exact work on his car. It will also give you such a huge feeling of accomplishment and save you a bundle of shekels!

The DIY is seen by going to "all forums" then scroll down to the "diy"section... right here on RL
Thanks for the reminder, JP... had forgotten all about it. Great read!

For the lazy ones....
https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-993-1995-1998/197318-lifter-repair-101-a.html

After reading through the DIY, can this really be done with the engine in place? Seems like it might be really tight working, no?
Old 08-25-2005, 07:23 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello kkim,

My lifter is a single one on the lower left bank so it would be easy with jack stands. However, I want to change the plugs, dual distributor drive belt, power steering belt and concours prep the engine and engine compartment and complete underside.

So it will be much easier with engine out.

I wish to enter Euro P Parade next summer in street concours and want to win. Putz putz putz!! (German for clean)
Old 08-25-2005, 08:38 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bladz
My tapping started oddly but I guess it had to start someway...the engine was quiet then I shut it off and restarted 1 hr later and it was tapping away. It increased the tapping speed as the rpms climbed...I was stressed as I passed cars and heard the echo!

I checked the oil and added 3/4 quart and stil tapping. I reved it up and restarted a few times but still tapping away...maybe it will fix it self tonight. ha
Let the car warm up by letting it idle and maybe drive SLOWLY (just cruise in first gear, very low revs) around the block, that's how my tapping lifter went quiet.
If it's not quiet after few minutes, then I don't think it won't get quiet at all.

But as already said, don't drive (besides that around the block maybe) if it's tapping.

J-P,

You have hydraulic lifters? I though RS had mechanical lifters?

Oh wait, I remember now, RSR had mechanical and RS had hydraulic...
Old 08-25-2005, 09:00 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My experience is perhaps different than yours when using 15x50 Mobil 1. If my car sat for more than 3 weeks, occassionally when starting I get the lifter tap. After shutting engine off and than restarting it may not go away, so I would let car idle for a few minutes and eventually the noise went away.

Last year, I switched to 0-40W Mobil 1 and have not received the lifter tap again. Even after sitting/stored 2 months in the winter. You may want to change to fresh oil if not done recently and see if noise goes away.

Does not seem to be major problem. Good luck with your new ride.

Quick Reply: 95 993 Engine Tapping...????