993 Forum 1995-1998

Need help from clear indicator user

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 10:52 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help from clear indicator user

I have looked in the search and there is so much mail on this I thought I would ask a quik question......I have just purchased clear front indicators and want to fit them this w/e.....what bulbs do I use ...... I am assuming I cannot use the current ones as they are white and will not show up in daylight and where do I purchase....thanks
Old 08-24-2005, 11:03 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few states allow you to use white front indicator lights (they will still light up during daylight), but if in doubt best to go with amber lights. I don't have the answer to your question, but it's pretty easy to check...IIRC just one screw hold the lens on and if IIRC it is just a standard double filament bulb (although I decided to use some extreme white ricer-type bulbs ). I'm also assuming that you have purchased clear indicators that have been cut down to fit?
Old 08-24-2005, 11:08 AM
dhicks
Drifting

David, thanks, yes I have purchased ones for use with bumperettes as I have not yet converted into the smoother look....that is YET....maybe next year I will do Euro front bumber etc if finace allows
Old 08-24-2005, 11:38 AM
grmnxtc
Pro

The bulb type is 1157 (dual filament).

Normally, the clear lenses come from Europe with a single filament bulb (1156?).

Throw that away. You need to use the bulb holder from the old amber lenses (has the dual filament connector).

Now, if you've gone clear and don't want the "fried egg" look, with the amber bulb visible, then there are a number of "diadem" type bulbs that usually look silver (or a silvery bluish), but actually light up amber.

IIRC the part number of this bulb type is usually 1157A. I have these as a Silverstar bulb myself, but I think there are a number of other manufacturers. Try your local autoparts store, I'm sure they'll have em.

Clive.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:01 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by grmnxtc
Now, if you've gone clear and don't want the "fried egg" look, with the amber bulb visible, then there are a number of "diadem" type bulbs that usually look silver (or a silvery bluish), but actually light up amber.
or you can just give the 1157A amber bubs a light coat of high heat silver paint. They will appear silver and will light up amber. That's what I did... easy and cheap.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:05 PM
donsacto
Racer

Ditto Kelly, skip the high priced silverstars and put a light coat of silver paint over the bulbs!!!
Old 08-24-2005, 02:19 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought the 1157A Silver Stars at the local auto parts store for less than $20 for the pair... they look great behind the clear corners and it was worth it to me to not hassle the paint.

They have a subtle blue hue behind the lens during the day, but are amber when lit/blinking... look awesome.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:20 PM
dhicks
Drifting

I think I will go with the Silverstar also.....

Quick Reply: Need help from clear indicator user