Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch, Engine Oil and Wiper questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 08:40 PM
wannaB_turbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch, Engine Oil and Wiper questions...

Hi guys ...

I got my car when it had 60K miles on it. I was told by the PPI tech that it will probably need a clutch some time in the future as well brake rotors.
Although I have driven the car only 2K miles in 3 months, i'm getting a bit paranoid about the clutch.
What are the symptoms that will let me know that I need a new clutch?? What should I be watching out for??

Secondly - how often do you add engine oil to your cars? ie, how much oil does a 993 burn on regular/daily driving? In these 3 months the oil meter gauge has gone from a 9'o clock position to between 8 and 9'o clock. Is this normal? I know my car does not have any leaks (cross fingers, knock on wood etc etc etc).
BTW - where can I buy Mobil1 0-40W? Besides the Porsche dealerships?

Lastly - I need to replace my wiper blades. Where do you guys shop for these??
Old 08-23-2005, 08:54 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

When my clutch went bad it was very sqeaky and hard to depress. It generally did not have smooth operation. The light comes on when time for brakes.

Engine oil varies. How many miles in 3 months? If 1-3k miles, sounds pretty darn good to me.

I think you mean Mobil1 15-50. In most cases 0-40 is for the 996 cars. May be different where you live (your location is not stated in your info).

Get the wiper blades a the dealer. No biggie. Ask for the PCA discount if you have a membership. Or Pelican or Sunset Porsche.

Good luck.

BTW, my clutch at the dealer cost $1900 +/- and is now under their parts and labor warranty.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:56 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best dealer pricing for any OEM stuff is from www.sunsetporsche.com . Dealer cost +15% and no sales tax.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:57 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pjconner
The light comes on when time for brakes.
Does anyone know how this system actually works (i.e. how does it "know"?)? Inquiring minds want to know.

BTW, I've seen Mobil1 at my local Costco.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:10 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is how my mechanic explaned it to me:
A plastic sensor mounted in the brake caliper wears down to a point where the metal core of the sensor finally makes contact with the rotor, that closes an electrical circut and viola' the brake wear sensor light on your dash comes on.

I only use Mobil 1 for my engine, Swepco for my gearbox and Motul for my brakes....there is no substitute........
Old 08-23-2005, 09:15 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jeff, each brake pad has a sensor wire embedded in it, which closes a circuit when the pad material wears down enough for the backing plate to make contact with the sensor. When this circuit closes, you get the light on the dash. I would NEVER rely on this. You should be looking at your brakes every once in a while anyway. Once the pads are down to 50%, they wear a lot faster. If you track your car, you probably have to have it tech'ed anyway before each event. Since I wrench on my car a lot, I didn't replace the sensor wires when I installed Big Reds. I tied them off. Your PO may have done this too, so check your pads visually and don't rely on this light. If your pad thickness gets thinner than the backing plate, it's time to shop for new pads. Check your rotors for lips too. Thinner pads and rotors transfer more heat, which can give you pedal fade (when you can least afford to have it), if you don't keep your fluid fresh. After you've lost your pedal while doing triple digit speeds, you'll be a believer. I sure am now.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:20 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can pick up Mobil1 15-50 at Target. As for the oil, you're likely burning if you're not leaking but it's normal as long as it doesn't exceed a quart every 1,500 miles or so. Mine was burning a quart every 500 miles before I had my valve guides done.

As for the clutch wear, as indicated the pedal will get heavier and your release point will get higher. I noticed a big difference just driving a fellow Rennlister's car before I changed mine... sometimes you need a frame of reference.

Good luck.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:23 PM
wannaB_turbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PJCONNER "I think you mean Mobil1 15-50. In most cases 0-40 is for the 996 cars. May be different where you live (your location is not stated in your info)."

Actually I went to Sunset Porsche and the guy told me that the oil to be used is 0-40W for my car as well. What kind does everyone generally use???

Also - what is the average oil "burn" on other 993's? and when do you guys add oil...every couple of thousand miles or less?

Please let me know!

Thanks!
--Andy
Old 08-23-2005, 09:28 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I think you guys are describing the brake sensor incorrectly. Actually, I know you are.

The sensor is indeed a wire. As long as the wire is intact (circuit closed) closed, the light stays off. When pads wear, teh wire wears off and finally breaks apart. Open circuit - light on.

If you'd like a little experiment, pull the connector off the sensor, the light will come on.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:37 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
I think you guys are describing the brake sensor incorrectly. Actually, I know you are.

The sensor is indeed a wire. As long as the wire is intact (circuit closed) closed, the light stays off. When pads wear, teh wire wears off and finally breaks apart. Open circuit - light on.

If you'd like a little experiment, pull the connector off the sensor, the light will come on.
Check out Nile! Must be an engineer or sumpin' (just like me).

Originally Posted by wannaB_turbo
Actually I went to Sunset Porsche and the guy told me that the oil to be used is 0-40W for my car as well. What kind does everyone generally use???

Also - what is the average oil "burn" on other 993's? and when do you guys add oil...every couple of thousand miles or less?
I use 15-50, and I'd guess the majority here do too. I've driven around 1k miles since my top end and I don't think I've burned a drop. From what I've heard, the healthy average is around 2k miles per quart (maybe a little more).
Old 08-23-2005, 09:45 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by trojanman
Check out Nile! Must be an engineer or sumpin' (just like me).
I used to be

Now I read Dilbert and don;t laugh any more.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:51 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great info. Thanks, guys.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:05 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike is right on. As the pads wear down, the brake sensors wear through and open the circuit lighting the Brake Sensor Light. A few guys have eliminated the sensors and just shorted the leads together to avoid the brake sensor light.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:08 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for clearing the sensor thing up for me nile13, I've never owned a porsche that used them before and only was parroting my mechanic. Good info thanks.....
Old 08-23-2005, 10:11 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Andy...

When my clutch was on the fritz, I'd accelerate and watch the revs climb but wouldn't have any corresponding power. It was most evident under heavy throttle....revs would jump and it would take an extra second for the power catch up to the corresponding rpm. Additionally, there was an annoying shudder or clutch chatter when engaging 1st and 2nd from slow speeds.

Let me recommend Steve Weiner at Rennsport Systems if you want to take the RS Clutch and LWF route. www.rennsportsystems.com ( a Rennlist Sponsor) Amazing gentleman to deal with, shipped the kit ahead of payment and answered numerous questions during the process.

I use 15w-50 grade and need to add a quart every 1800 miles or so.....

Wipers ? Any autoparts store. I use Bosch.

Good Luck with your 4S !!

Quick Reply: Clutch, Engine Oil and Wiper questions...