Performance makeover time for a 993

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 04:24 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe S.
Thanks Alon!

The wheels look great. Are they the silver finish or the diamond black finish?
Silver finish.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:25 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 993RS
Here's a picture:
I love the colour of your car Phil
Old 08-23-2005, 05:07 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

"I love the colour of your car Phil"

You should have seen his last 2, um, 1!!
Old 08-23-2005, 05:52 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Talking

1. PSS9 suspension with TRG adjustable sway bars - what diameters? I'd stay away from the TRG bars...they are cheap but they lack welded on collars...they have collars that are bolt ons. If they get loose, the bars will slide from side to side under load. If I had to do it over, I'd stick with the Porsche RS 23mm front 20mm rear.

PSS9...I have them...they seem OK. Wdhen I went from M030 RoW suspension to PSS9s...I didn't see a world of difference. Maybe I would now that I have more track seat time. I have had trouble with the front adjustment screw binding up on the PSS9s.

2. Carbon strut tower brace up front. Why carbon fiber? Just install a factory bar...not that expensive.

3. Carrera RS shift kit - where do I get one of these? Haven't found a web source. As mentioned above, Gert Carnewal sells them, Steve Weiner sells them. Steve is in Portland, OR, Gert is in Belgium. Note, they lack some of the rubber isolation of the factory shifter...there may be more cabin noise or some harmonic vibration, maybe not. I extracted mine and sold it off for this reason...but that was just me and my car,

4. And now the big question. I need some advice on 18" wheels and tires. These will be used mainly for autocross/DE/Time trials. I realize that there is a tradeoff for compounds for autocross vs. high speed events. For the wheels, light weight is most important. Aesthetically, I prefer a 5-spoke design, but a BBS-type web is also acceptable.

Wheels: Look to Kinesis and Fikse. On Fikse, the retaining bolts are on the inside, easier maintenance. The BBS wheels are beautiful too. They are a little spendy and may not me the best wheels for the streegt. But for the track, incredible.

Tires: Will you be driving to the track or being towed? If you are driving the best overall combo tires for me are the Toyo RA-1 and the Yokohama A 032R. These tires get real noisy when they have a little wear.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:29 PM
KornerMeister
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark,

This is exactly the kind of feedback I need. Is the car too loose at low speed, high speed, or everywhere?

Thanks!
Old 08-23-2005, 06:31 PM
KornerMeister
7th Gear

Phil,

Are they not as strong as aluminum?

Thanks.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:30 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Hi Craig,

Gosh, oversteer is such a subjective thing and, honestly, I would be loathe to make a sweeping generalization and say that the TRG bars are the sole or primary cause of the looseness, which rears its head on high speed, Type 1 turns that lead onto straights.

Handling set up and how a car feels is very much dependent on driver preference, shocks, spring rates, tire compound, sway bar settings, toe in/out, camber, alignment, etc. that it can be a real Rubik's cube to figure out. With my set up, I also have the added bonus of being able to change the pressure in the shocks, as well as the compression and rebound. You might drive my car and say it handles perfectly. I like for the car to have some understeer because it gives me more confidence to push it. If the car is overly loose, it's great fun, but I also think it's kind of slow to be countersteering so much.

One might think it best to stick with a completely non-adjustable suspension and be done with it, but I really like coming into the paddock, taking tire temps/pressures, tweaking rebound, etc. and writing down my feedback and lap times. It's all about learning for me and, if I didn't have any adjustability, it wouldn't be as much fun. For others, this may be a track nightmare.

FWIW, my TRG bars have been faultless. Contrary to many early posts that discussed squeaking or loosening collars, I have had zero problems with them.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:08 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

I love those wheels Phil, are they the race wheels with aluminum centers or are they street wheels? Where did you get them? Thanks.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:35 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

DJ 996,
They are street legal wheels, and I got them from a German company called Inden Design. Here's the link:
http://www.indendesign.de/html/bildergalerie_pic_anzeigen.php?jumpback=html/kfz_galerie&bild_id=282&start=24

I originally wanted to get them from BBS, and phoned BBS Germany, but they told me that they give this particular version exclusively to Inden.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:36 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GratefulJED
"I love the colour of your car Phil"

You should have seen his last 2, um, 1!!

Eeeer.... I still get uneasy whenever I see speed yellow, but once in a lifetime is enough...
Old 08-24-2005, 02:59 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You guys seem to be forgetting the lightest 18 inch wheel for the 993 - the Veloce GT1s!!!
Old 08-24-2005, 07:20 AM
Gelatomonster
Instructor

I think Volk Racing TE37P is lighter than Veloce GT1s
Old 08-24-2005, 09:50 AM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

I also have the TRGs and am happy with them. The noise issue was cured with some good lubricant and the updated collars. As far as the understeer - I have none. I run a 245 tire up front with the front sway on full soft and the rear sway on the middle setting. I had longer drop links, I would try the rear on full stiff and the front on mid stiff.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:23 PM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

Veloce GT-1's are impossible to find. According to Graham Mitchell...."The last production run ended and I don't know if there will be another."
Old 08-24-2005, 03:26 PM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

The Fiske Profil 5....is a really nice 5-spoke.

http://www.wheelenhancement.com/index.php?t=WheelDetail&id=121

Quick Reply: Performance makeover time for a 993