Sponsored by:

Front Strut Brace

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 03:56 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front Strut Brace

Hi there. I'm thinking of adding a strut brace to my Targa. I would appreciate any insight from you folks that have one on your 993.
I'm not real concerned about the aesthetics as "bling is not my thing". In fact I would like one that fits UNDER the carpet and does not require any cutting, drilling or body mods. KLA? Weltmeister? OEM?
TIA for your suggestions.
P.S. Is a re-alignment necessary after the installation?
Old 08-18-2005, 04:10 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

Although the PO installed the brace in my 993 (I don't know the brand), I did it in my 944. It does have a pronounced effect on stability in turns. Allignment is not needed. The one in my car does go under the carpet in the trunk. I'd give the idea a thumbs up.

Al
Old 08-18-2005, 04:25 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would say the GT2 strut bar but it looks like Gert no longer has them on his website. Do a seach, there is lots of info on this.
Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2005, 04:37 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

The one piece GT2 bar is supposed to be the best of all of them, but there is no adjustability if your shock towers are, for some reason, off by a mm or so. I have the OEM one that I bought with the $100 coupon PCNA gave to PCA members a few years back. It fits under the carpet and takes five minutes to install. Be sure the check Robins' p-car.com site for the correct torque settings on the nuts, for they are quite easy to strip.

No alignment necessary.

Good luck!
Old 08-18-2005, 04:42 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe S.
I would say the GT2 strut bar but it looks like Gert no longer has them on his website. Do a seach, there is lots of info on this.
Gert is having production problems with the GT2. I know because I tried to order one.

The manufacturer messed up on the hole locations and they were not fitting properly. Gert warned me yesterday that the manufacturer took back Gert's stock and plans to drill out the holes and make slots. That is not good, so look out for slotted GT2 strut braces on ebay.

Gert is trying to have them produced properly. My intent is to wait for the man (Gert) to come up with a plan.

97Targa, me too! With our suspension set up, it would be nice to have a stiffer body - well you know what I mean.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:47 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

When I had my 993 I bought a used KLA Industries strut brace from another Rennlister. I was going to buy a new one but this opportunity came along. I had spoken to KLA about their design and liked what I heard. I found it to be well made, looked good, installed easily, made a solidity difference I noticed, and fit nicely under the carpet with no cutting. I thought it was a good product and was happy with it.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:50 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=Gert is trying to have them produced properly. My intent is to wait for the man (Gert) to come up with a plan.[/QUOTE]

That's good to hear. I'll just wait for one of these with the proper holes.

Old 08-18-2005, 05:26 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

I can jack up 1 corner of my car and get 3 tires off the ground - the bodies on these things are soooo stiff, I have a hard time believing a strut brace would do much (maybe the Targa is not as stiff). I had one on my 71 an 84, but both of those would develop windshiels leaks with track/auto-x use. Just my .02
Old 08-18-2005, 09:12 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Originally Posted by Crimson Nape Racing
I can jack up 1 corner of my car and get 3 tires off the ground - the bodies on these things are soooo stiff, I have a hard time believing a strut brace would do much (maybe the Targa is not as stiff). I had one on my 71 an 84, but both of those would develop windshiels leaks with track/auto-x use. Just my .02
Targa's benefit from what I hear. They are built on a cab tub and the roof is glued on. Stiffer than a cab, not as stiff as a coupe. I can't believe I just went on the record saying that.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:58 PM
Ponchobroke
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

I could never understand the functional differences in the various bars...ultimately a fixed rod will do the same no matter how it looks or mounts... that said I installed the KLA two years ago and have been happy since. It is adjustable, offered a noticeable difference and it is completely hidden (also a requirement of mine) Quick delivery and quicker install... piece of pie, easy as cake

Old 08-18-2005, 11:07 PM
jkuniverse
Racer

Craig, I have a strut brace for my Targa and I chose the AJUSA model due to the beefy/sturdy appearance. I read somewhere in the forum a while back that strut braces benefit Targas/Cabs more as Patrick mentioned. I remember my car felt a little bit tighter after I installed it but I've never really pushed hard to feel the full benefit. Here is a piture.
Attached Images  
Old 08-19-2005, 01:14 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Dang Jason. That is a clean front trunk! Bar looks good too.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:57 AM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys.
John & John in Plano Tx: I just got a email back from KLA and I do like their product. I was hoping to hear some feeback from some one that had one installed.

Patrick: Thanks for your input. I suspected a Targa could benifit from a strut brace. You had one on order from Gert?

Jason: Thanks for the photo! I was going to call AJ USA this am. They have the strut braces on sale for $160. in the new issue of Pano.
Question: Can it be mounted under/behind the carpet? I really don't want to cut holes in my carpet.

Thanks to everyone else too. I will let you know which one I end up with.

P.S. John where are you at ? Grants Pass? Ashland?

Last edited by 97Targa; 08-19-2005 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:10 PM
Ponchobroke
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Craig,
In Ashland w/ business in Medford... Also family connections to La Habra, Newport Beach, Escondido and San Diego.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:13 PM
jkuniverse
Racer

Originally Posted by 97Targa
...Jason: Thanks for the photo! I was going to call AJ USA this am. They have the strut braces on sale for $160. in the new issue of Pano.
Question: Can it be mounted under/behind the carpet? I really don't want to cut holes in my carpet...
Craig, I went to the garage and tried it myself. I pull the carpet and put it over the brace...and was able to fasten all three buttons. I hope it helps.

Originally Posted by pjconner
Dang Jason. That is a clean front trunk! Bar looks good too.
Thanks Patrick! But you should see the trunk of my other car...it's totally the opposite!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Front Strut Brace