Roll bar/ cage

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 11:29 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 383 Posts
Default Roll bar/ cage

Looks like I will either use a DAS bar or Matter cage w/ removeable front section.

Anyone care to comment on either or other possibilities?

car is a '95 coupe
Old 08-16-2005, 11:46 AM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey, Bill.

I had heard that Matter was no longer making cages. Is that true? That was the rumor about 5 years ago. I have a '95 RS Clone and use the DAS bar and am very pleased with it. As my car has no sunroof, I was able to purchase the no sunroof bar which does not impair the rear view as seen through the rear view mirror. With the sunroof DAS bar, it can be very frustrating trying to adjust and use the rear view mirror. Perhaps you are not using the car on the street at all, and in that case, my comments are not valid. Thanks for all your help with brake caliper advice in the past. It sounds like you are working on a new project car. What is it?

Hank
Old 08-16-2005, 11:52 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Talking Hank is right on.................

to get around the impaired vision challange, I turn the mirror upside dowm. It helps a bit.

Whatever roll over device you decide on, be certain that the Clubs you plan to run with fine the bar acceptable. They will want to know the kind of steel it is made from, the tubing diameter, the tubing wall thickness. They will probably have you drill a hole in the bar for the initial inspection. This is what SCCA does in Cali.

Porsche Owners Club (POC) a significant Club for Porsche racing in Cali has approved by brand name, the DAS-sport bar, in its GCRs. This is in the moderately modified cars. For ***** to the wall race cars, they require a cage.

I too have the DAS bar and am very pleased with it. Good luck with your racing.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:33 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

It sounds like you are working on a new project car. What is it?
Just bought Ed Hessels car, step one I need a roll bar w/ harness guide

The matter is aluminum and a full cage w/ removeable front section. Guess I'm leaning to the DAS, You can't see out the mirror at all?
Old 08-16-2005, 12:53 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like the start of a fun project. You can see out of the mirror, but you can only see out of the bottom 4" of the rear window. I hadn't thought of Martin's trick of turning the mirror upside down, so he may be on to something. Don't get me wrong; the DAS bar is very useable on the street and you can see. I just found it a little frustrating and was forced to use the side view mirrors more than normal. I didn't mean to make a big deal out of it. Does your post imply that Matter is still in business?

Hank
Old 08-16-2005, 01:08 PM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hank Cohn
Looks like the start of a fun project. You can see out of the mirror, but you can only see out of the bottom 4" of the rear window. I hadn't thought of Martin's trick of turning the mirror upside down, so he may be on to something. Don't get me wrong; the DAS bar is very useable on the street and you can see. I just found it a little frustrating and was forced to use the side view mirrors more than normal. I didn't mean to make a big deal out of it. Does your post imply that Matter is still in business?

Hank
I have a full cage welded in now but when I had the DAS bar I only lost about 2 inches up high due to the bar near the top of the back window. It really was not even noticeable in my opinion. The bigger issue was the club sport wing in the middle of the back window
Old 08-16-2005, 01:09 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Does your post imply that Matter is still in business?
No, I was offered a used one.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:11 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I'm almost 6' with a long torso and find that the DAS bar cuts into the top part of the rear window of my sunroof coupe just a little bit, but it's not been a huge problem by any means. I seemed to notice it the most when I first installed it. The body and mind have a way of adapting.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:53 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Heigo makes roll bars & gages too.
I have one and I'm very pleased with it, very easy to install and last I checked was club legal too.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:04 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

FF, which model Heigo? al or steel? They all seem to require the harness bar as a separate item, correct?
Old 08-16-2005, 05:17 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you need a real cage... then Heigo is it!

No problem with the mirors either and the lateral bar is positioned in such a way as to make entry and exit bareable.

If you are thinking safety... go for steel full cage IMO
Old 08-16-2005, 05:48 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I only have the roll bar (with all the cross braces etc. you can get). I beleieve front part could be bolted into it although I don't have it.

Mine is steel and I've heard the aluminum is not approved for Club Racing, I'm not sure about that though.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:09 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a roll bar on ebay right now for $250...ending in 7 minutes
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...91849096QQrdZ1
no affiliation

Quick Reply: Roll bar/ cage