Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics from So Cal HID Install - Thanks Guys!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 07:16 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Pics from So Cal HID Install - Thanks Guys!

As Alan said in the other thread, what a great day! Chuck was a great host and fearless leader in the install process. What a guy. Invited 6 of his closest friends (some of whome he'd never met before) to share his endless supply of hospitality (and soda, and water, and beer) and HID expertise. Here are some of my hack pics. I know there are lots more quality pictures so let's see them. Too bad more weren't able to make it. Where were you Nick (drnd)?

We tried to chronicle the install as best we could. Honestly, I think the many threads that covered the topic are enough. The trickiest parts, IMO, were putting the retaining clip back into place. You really need a small set of pliers (I'm talking small!), grab hold, and torque it back into place. I was hesitent at first as I didn't want to mangle the piece but in the end, with Andy's encouragement, I just forced the sucker into place. The only other tricky part is the filling out of the aluminum headlight housing. You will see very clearly that once you take out the old bulb and try to put the new bulb back in, the new bulb will not fit into the space that the old bulb did. You will need to file the hole out, really only in a few places to make the opening a bit wider. We used something called a roto drill or somthing like that that worked wonders. A dremel or a pencil file would work just as well though a manual file job would take some time. A lot of us also took the time to clean our headlight lenses while the entire headlight unit was out. There are about six clips that hold the lens in place. Two are fused (melted really) together. You need to break the seal with a flathead screwdriver or something like that. I'm sure Robin's site has a better explaination than mine. Really not a tough install but much easier with someone there who'd done it before. We all commented that it would probably take 2x or 3x as long is we were doing it on our own with just the instructions.

All in all, a great day. An example of what makes Rennlist great. People willing to sacrafice a beautiful Saturday afternoon to help other Rennlisters out. Really pay it forward in the greatest sense of the phrase. A special thanks to Chuck for hosting, Chuck's Wife for tolerating us all, Clive for bringing his hammer and diagnosing everyone's little problems, Alan for photographing the event, and Chris Walrod for his masterfully designed brackets (saved one of the guys as he would not have been able to place his ballast without it). And there really were chickens at Chuck's house.

Oh, and my vote for the nicest car out there, Andy's C2S. Wow!

Enjoy and let's see the more pics from the others.
Attached Images         
Old 08-14-2005, 07:22 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome.

So, this is what I'm hearing, "Jeff, tell your wife that you ~have~ to buy a Dremel." (Cool, a new tool.)

Thanks for the heads up on the clip and cleaning the headlamps. BTW, did most people choose to install Silverstars for their high beams?
Old 08-14-2005, 08:09 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Bobby for the pics.
Andy's CS is really a beaut. Gonna share this last one that I caught on the way home, cause his car is so nice.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:12 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Man, that driveway is littered in 993s.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:26 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

No get the Roto tool, that's what we used. Makes the drilling a snap. So fast that you're done before you get the plug all the way in. Also, no consensus on the high beam bulbs yet. They look yellow incomparison. Wish we could just find and H-1 that would match, color wise.
Also, the running lights look crappy too. They have a very yellow appearance in comparison.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:27 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Here's the two from the first thread.

Last edited by mnmblu; 08-16-2005 at 02:34 AM.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:07 AM
drnd
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Man, sure like you guys had a blast. Sorry I couldn't make it. I got called in for an emergency saturday morning a 4:30am. I have the Hid kit. Anyone want a free lunch to help with an install?
Great pictures.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:14 AM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

I could probably help you out but I don't have some of the tools, well, lots of the tools. What I don't have is a 1" hole saw?, a wire stripper/crimper (though I really need one of these), or a dremel/roto tool. I actually have to help out one of my other friends so perhaps we could arrange a small install. My next two weekends pretty much suck, after that perhaps?
Old 08-15-2005, 04:44 AM
AM C2S
Track Day

What a fantastic time! Thanks again to Bobby for organizing such a great event! Can't thank Chuck enough for hosting all of us...the host-with-the-most pulls his cars out into the sun to free the shaded garage for his guests, has a fully stocked fridge, and worked on every car during the install, when he wasn't teaching us. But let's face it, couldn't think of a better place to host any DIY. I'm still dreaming about his 'monster' garage and block-long driveway!...and chickens. Chuck, let me know when you have another factory stereo to sell.

Great to meet so many knowledgeable and tool-equipped p-car fanatics! Alan, the 'MNM blue' mobile looked fantastic...was afraid to touch it the whole time, thinking the paint was still wet! Also, awesome pics and roto-tool. Speaking of fantastic paint, Dave, your basalt black looked great on the cab...keep that car in the sun, shade is it's enemy. Clive, thanks for the Hammer and free diagnostic check (complete with full factory manual). I will be calling my mechanic tomorrow to ask how he missed the bum heater fan! Bobby, we have to call DaveinLA and brag about how cheaply our lights went in!

Next time, I'll need some hard-toppers present...never seen so many 993 cabs beauties in one place (all different colors, no less)!
Old 08-15-2005, 12:34 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Hey Nick,
If Bobby will guide the install, since I was so busy being lazy as Chuck basically did it for me (thanks again Chuck), I can provide the garage to slip into and most of the tools. I have the Roto tool which makes the job a snap. I also have wire strippers and a crappy crimper but it can probably do the job. I guess the only thing I don't have is that hole saw. As I recall the 1" was just slightly too small. Chuck, what did we end up using, the 1 1/8 or what?

Anyway, I can swing some time next weekend and it literally shouldn't take us more than an hour. So, let me know when you guys can coordinate a time. I am near Laurel and Mulholland so I think my location is between the both of you. Lemme know what you guys arrange and I will make the time.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:45 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Nick & Alan; Be glad to help...my place or Alan's. We ended up using a 1 1/8 hole saw. This weekend is good for me.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:33 PM
Racer944
Racer

Guys;

Just out of curiosity, what is the 1 1/8" hole saw used for?

Eric
Old 08-15-2005, 02:50 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer944
Guys;

Just out of curiosity, what is the 1 1/8" hole saw used for?

Eric
Eric,

read this post for install instructions for this particular kit...
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/180644-how-to-install-hid-high-and-low-beam-lights.html
Old 08-15-2005, 03:22 PM
Racer944
Racer

Thanks Kelly;

Makes sense now that I understand how the kit is made...

Cheers;
Eric
Old 08-15-2005, 04:26 PM
BCS996TT
Instructor

Great pics, weather, etc.

Hey Mun...nice to see you actually working on the car... about time bro.....

Quick Reply: Pics from So Cal HID Install - Thanks Guys!