Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 Heated Sports Seats on eBay.. Not for the faint of heart!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 01:48 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check out the prices for a set of NEW 993 sport seats!!!!!! It makes those used ones seem cheeeeepppp
Old 08-12-2005, 01:04 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lee got a good price . . . $5,000 is just plain REDICULOUS!

Scott
Old 08-12-2005, 12:38 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

And to think that the non-heated sport seat option was $365 a side from the factory. Can't imagine that the heated option was all that much more. Hard to believe that they command such a premium now. Would have been nice if the original owner of my '97 didn't swap out the sport seats that came with the car for the standard ones. Apparently, the sport seats where too harsh for his/her back.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:59 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, LA Dismantlers looks at the list price and then goes to price used from there... someone out there might have more $$ than sense and will buy those...

They wanted $150 for the Lock Control module yet I was able to buy one brand new from a porsche dealer for $250... sure $100 discount is attractive but who knows when another used one will fail? With that price, I'd rather start out brand new and hopefully get another 9 years out of this one!!
Old 08-12-2005, 02:09 PM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

I think their reference price is also the US price. Case in point is the RS shifter which is USD 250 used but can be bought from Gert for 160 Euros brand new (if only the exchange rate worked in MY favor...). The beauty of the internet is price comparison is much easier...

If anyone is going for the sports seats look for less, I recommend the Cobra Misanos which I think are even better than the OEM sports seats in terms of looks (the aluminum extrusion support looks cool), support (the thigh bolsters are bigger), and functionality (there's a harness pass through).

Btw, not all OEM sports seats have the crest. Mine doesn't.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:43 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone actually buy stuff from LA Porsche Dism. or what? Anyone who's looking for such parts is probably a cheapskate DIY'er like myself. And their prices are nuts. Who buys their stuff?
Old 08-12-2005, 05:28 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
Does anyone actually buy stuff from LA Porsche Dism. or what? Anyone who's looking for such parts is probably a cheapskate DIY'er like myself. And their prices are nuts. Who buys their stuff?
I bought several thousand dollars of parts from them when I re-built my 993 2 years ago. Todd, the owner, took great care of me. His prices were more than fair. I think that for items like this he can ask a high price because they are at a premium and certain folks (not you or me) will pay for them. For those of us that live in the Los Angeles area we have an advantage of dealing with him face to face.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:40 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

well, I did buy some wheels from them once... but refused to buy the lock/unlock computer module from a wrecked 97 993 since I only paid $100 MORE for 1 brand new (with MFGR date showing this year) with warranty from Porsche parts.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:43 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Well, un-heated Reacro A-8s, manual operations only, were asking $6,000 on eBay. I guess there are people who will pay. I just found out that RUF makes stainless RUF-logo door sills for the 993. (I have only seen 996 RUF sills before, never knew the 993 ones existed) Weissach listed them for $250. Unfortunately Weissach is now sold out and RUF in Dallas has none. They finally located me one last set in RUF in Germany for $450 shipped. I swallowed hard and bought it. I know $450 is not $5k, but compared with $250, it's a big increase.

I think the shipping cost is a large part of that. When Gert shipped me my 993 Euro bumper earlier, the shipping was $400 euro. Porsche ownership and the slippery slope are a BAD (RUF in my case, doubly BAD)combination.

CP
Old 08-13-2005, 07:16 AM
mdreuben
Intermediate

The price isn't surprising considering the source. I used them for some parts when I changed my '97 993 interior from camel to black. The pricing was generally high, the quality average to poor, and the service arrogant and uncaring.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:52 AM
solsrch
Pro

I'm another cheapskate DIY'er but couldn't find a cheaper way to go with stock HID than them ($1,100). I actually bought the eBay kit and then chickened out when they got these in - went back to the stock route.
Their prices aren't great and frankly their service generally leaves much to be desired, although the last time I called they were responsive.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:38 PM
Michael_Philippi
Racer

Default Not all bad

Hey guys:

I haven't had a lot of experience with LA Porsche Dismantelers, but when I have dealt with them, they were fine to deal with. I bought my rear seat delete package from them, for half what another Rennlister paid on Ebay. I agree that $5k is too high for these seats retail. But, keep in mind, they are being advertised on Ebay. Ebayers will pay more than retail, and way more that an item is worth, because of the auction mentality.

I can get a pair of leather, Recaro toplines, with heat and ventilation for $2800, plus delivery. $5k for the Porsche crest, I don't think so.

PS, I know the Recaro's are heavier, but I am not tracking my car.

Michael
Old 08-13-2005, 03:40 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

for sure these seats arent a value... there are far more supportive, less heavy, and less expensive seat options out there... I didnt pay $5k for mine (and wouldnt), but I did pay a lot compared to what I could have gotten in an aftermarket set... I just LOVE the way the hard-backs look in the 993 and I like that they are OEM and period-correct, etc.

its not a vote for paying $5k for them... IIRC, I paid $1-1.5k less than that for mine...and the ones I bought were absolutely mint/unused with headrest crests.... you should be able to do better than $5k, just spend some time looking/waiting... they are rare, but they are out there...
Old 08-13-2005, 05:57 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Ok, I'll admit I am a little confused.

I have a pair of black sport seats from my 993, two way electric (up-down), hard backs. They are in pretty good shape with a little bolster wear. No crests. They are also sitting in my shop nicely wrapped in cloth after some liberal coats of Lexol. I have some Sparco cloth sets in the car which fit me much better.

What would these seats really be worth? (The reason I am asking is that maybe they can go towards the top end rebuild ;-) )

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-13-2005, 08:08 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Ok, I'll admit I am a little confused.

I have a pair of black sport seats from my 993, two way electric (up-down), hard backs. They are in pretty good shape with a little bolster wear. No crests. They are also sitting in my shop nicely wrapped in cloth after some liberal coats of Lexol. I have some Sparco cloth sets in the car which fit me much better.

What would these seats really be worth? (The reason I am asking is that maybe they can go towards the top end rebuild ;-) )

Cheers,

Mike
if you take an objective look at the market for the seats - what people are selling and buying them for - a pristine pair black pair (this means no bolster wear, perfect shape) is worth $4-4.5k

other colors dont seem to be as popular/cost quite as much.

this is not to say that they should be worth that, or that someone hasnt found a pair cheaper somewhere...its what you see them sell for on on rennlist classifieds, ebay, LA Dismantler, etc.

i am not claiming to be the expert on this, but i shopped them quite a bit before i bought mine...

if yours are in good but not great condition, i would think that they are worth $3-3.5k

Quick Reply: 993 Heated Sports Seats on eBay.. Not for the faint of heart!!