Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

75K for Pimped Out Boxster S or Used Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 02:57 PM
WheresMyTurbo?
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 75K for Pimped Out Boxster S or Used Turbo?

I drive a 98 Boxster and absolutely love it. It's optioned up - carbon fiber and stainless - premium sound, hardtop, etc. Driving it is a constant pleasure. I've come across an opportunity though that will allow me to spend up to $75 K and I'm torn. Advice from my brother, who owns a '97 993 Turbo (and an M3 - hi Josh) is to forget about the Boxster and go for the Turbo, which is "much, much more car for the money." Another poster here who was selling his Turbo to buy a Boxster S said this:

"My Turbo has sold; I love the Boxster S that I bought, really a matter of what you want.. I found that the Turbo really didn't allow much playing around as it simply gains speed so quickly. I don't want to go to jail or the hospital.. The 987S is really fun and I feel much more involved with it."

To that poster - thank you for your reply and I hope reposting you here is alright!

He will remain anonomyous, anyhow.

I am aware that the mid-engine design of the Boxster is a large part of what makes its handling so incredible. I also love it for the fact that it is a convertible in the summer and nearly a coupe with the hardtop wintertime. One thing I hate is the lack of low end torque.

I testdrove the Elise and the '05 Vette as well. The Elise is a toy - and a great one - but little more. The dealer himself told me that there's no easy way in or out of it - "if you wanna look cool - park it in the back"

The Vette was a great car - fast as all hell and with No Redline (displayed). The engine really chugs - it sounds like the BMW Z8. (Plus the heads-up display is pretty sweet)

So what do you all think? I figure I'm about to get pounded with insults for even suggesting a comparison bewteen the two - but for this guy - the decision is not clear.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:09 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No insults from me. They're both great cars. Just different from each other. However if I was in your shoes I'd buy a Turbo.
And then sign up for some drivers ed. classes. Maybe even a AX or two.
The Turbo's supercar perfomance shouldn't be taken lightly.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:23 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd take the Turbo, as well ... it's very tractable. The Boxster (I've owned one) is a great little ragtop but it's nowhere near the performance, character, etc., of a 911. I don't think you'll find enough "oomph" going to the 986S over your current Boxster for that kind of money.

Prices have been falling on the 996 Turbo lately, you might find an 01 in your price range, and that's a heck of a car in its own right and might appeal more to you if you find the 993 Turbo to be a bit "raw" after the Boxster.

Vic
95 C4
Old 08-05-2005, 04:32 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Turbo is, indeed, much more car... but it is also a car that demands attention, respect, and $$ especially since it is out of warranty etc. If you want a car to just DRIVE and have fun (which is what the tone of your post sounds like), and you are not overly enamoured with the air-cooled/911/993 foibles/character, then I'd go for the new 987s. The Turbo is much faster (in a straight line), but for normal day-to-day driving and spirited backroads, I doubt there's a great deal in it.

For me? I love the character of the 993 and her mechanicals... I'll still take the Turbo anyday...
Old 08-05-2005, 05:33 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmm... Boxster or 993 TT...

For me, that really is as much no brainer as it can be.

993 TT of course. I mean, that's a badass Porsche and legend to the boot, where as Boxster, even though a great car, isn't.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:44 PM
Jagbuff
Instructor

The 993 TT will certainly retain its value better that any of the other cars you list.. F355 is another consideration but maintenance is a little higher than the TT..
Old 08-05-2005, 05:59 PM
KASH '95 993
Racer

TT...
Old 08-06-2005, 01:05 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

No contest: 993TT.

If you're worried about it having too much power, you definitely need to put in some track time with it. It's a sure way to get yer ya-yas out.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 08-06-2005 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:17 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you had a chance to drive a 993TT? If not, why not try one and see for yourself. Maybe your brother will let you test drive his? Then you can make up your own mind.

Good luck
Old 08-06-2005, 01:19 AM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't be an idiot......TT all the way.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:29 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28
Don't be an idiot......TT all the way.

Old 08-06-2005, 02:17 AM
solsrch
Pro

Both good cars, but if you REALLY had to choose the Boxster over the TT you won't be asking us. Since you have, get the TT. You'll take a bath on the Boxster S value - not so with the TT. You'll see Boxsters every time you turn the corner, you can go a long time without coming across another TT. I would think that if you got to sample them back to back, you're decision would be pretty clear. As Mark said, if you're worried about not being able to explore the limits because they are so exceptional or because you need to build the skills (for me it would be both!) get to the track.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:21 AM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Hmm... Boxster or 993 TT...

For me, that really is as much no brainer as it can be.

993 TT of course. I mean, that's a badass Porsche and legend to the boot, where as Boxster, even though a great car, isn't.
I agree!
Old 08-06-2005, 02:39 AM
LeeR
Racer

I have both, except my Boxster is not an S. Love them both. If I could have only one, and it was a daily driver, I would take the Boxster. It's a blast to drive, much more luggage space (TT has very little luggage space because of the front differential), better HVAC, and a drop top, if that matter to you. Can't match the power of the TT, but how often do you use it if it's a daily driver?

Before my TT friends start throwing rocks, this is not in any way a knock on the TT; the Boxster can't match it, or even come close, for raw excitement. I've driven both on the track (Willow Springs and Buttonwillow), and there's no comparison. But if I can have only one as a daily driver and fun car, I'll keep the Boxster.

Okay, I'll duck now.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:45 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

You know what the Boxster can do. Now you should enjoy the 993tt. Performance aside (tt wins hands down), the 993tt looks sooooo much better.

CP

Quick Reply: 75K for Pimped Out Boxster S or Used Turbo?