Do you use a Radar Detector ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 08:54 AM
Ty Smith
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you use a Radar Detector ?

Just bought a Guards Red 993.
After having the car for only a few days and on it's third short drive I got pulled for speeding. The young cop said I was going "over 50 in a 45". He let me go and said, "nice Porsche".

Nice reality check for me. In Virginia, radar detectors are illegal, if they catch you with it . My question is do you guys use them and does anyone have a built in type that is concealed? Are the new ones immune to detector-detectors ?

Here's the new one...
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2005, 09:48 AM
901aero
Burning Brakes

I've had several 911's over the years and I have always had the intention of buying a radar detector. But for some reason have not. I try not to be too overt when I "open it up a little" but just as you, I too have been pulled over for bush league stuff - things a detector probably would not have prevented (25 mph on the outer perimeter of a mall parking lot - posted 20mph) I just think a 911 is always a marked target. If I was in your situation - they're illegal to posess- I would'nt chance it. I kind of think cops are tougher on guys who have them (here in FL where they're legal) when they do pull you over. Guilty by association maybe?
Old 08-04-2005, 10:08 AM
f_scaife
Instructor

Check robin's V-1 remote display DIY http://p-car.com/diy/v1/. Most here would recommend the Valentine One, I personally have one and it has saved my A$$ several times. I would see if you can find out how prevalent the use of laser is in your area and find a unit that has 'laser shift'(?). Valentine does not yet have one with this ability.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:12 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a K-40 (front and rear monitored) stealth installed in my car. You can see the install components here:

There is a white light to the right of the fog light switch on the panel, which tells me if the unit is Off/On (highway)/On with Filter (city). There are also two small LEDs on the lower left and lower right corners of the Bat Phone console, which tell me whethe it is detecting the signal in the front (left) or the rear (right).

You can also barely see the detector unit in the front at the center of the lower grill vent. The control switches are just under the dash on the drivers side.

However, I have yet to really see it in action. Although, unless I'm on the highway, I don't like the constant 'status--yup, I'm on' beep that it puts out.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:00 AM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Default I had a

Built in K40 front and back in the '98C2S......really not sure of how much value it was....also not certain what the legal penalty is if you get pulled and they find a concealed system in VA......I always did my Italian tuneups on the backroads of Goochland very late at night alone
Old 08-04-2005, 11:07 AM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Passport 8500 in plain view (legal here). Saved me tickets in 3 states durring a trip. Payed for it's self. Might try the V1 next. Most RLs swear by it.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:22 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

V1 has saved me several times. Legal in CA. Would not want to take long hwy trips without it. Normal traffic flow speeds on a 70 mph limit hwy is 80-85mph and the CHP sit with their radar on just over rises so that you can't see them waiting for you - but the V1 does

I tend to get grateful waves from others in the pack once they realize that I wasn't braking for a hallucination.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:47 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fbfisher
Normal traffic flow speeds on a 70 mph limit hwy is 80-85mph
Boy, those are "right lane" speeds here in Michigan. Our left lanes are typically 90+. Many times I have been in the left lane doing 90-100 mph (in my previous car--Lincoln LS V8) and I've got people climbing up on me.

When I moved from Colorado, I was amazed at the speeds people drive at around here.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:03 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

K40 with detectors front and back, and laser diffuser in front. As I understand it, the detectors are legal here, the diffuser is not. As with the some of the folks above, I get a lot of "noise" from the unit but don't really know its effectiveness.

My understanding here in Cal is that the cops are going more towards laser and away from radar... thus making radar detectors somewhat obsolete.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:05 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Rufus cam equipped with a built in detector (unknown brand, and I have no idea where it is mounted). When we pull off the front bumper, I should have a better idea. But Rufus also has a remote V1 display on the dash that seems to be hooked up to nothing. I found a standard phone cord running up the a-piller, so I suspect the car also had a V1 mounted up by the sunvisor. I am planning on pulling this out, along with the cell phone holder and antenna when I figure out what all this stuff is.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:00 PM
Dr. Dynamics
Pro

I have a Valentine 1 and I would not trade it in for anything! Paid itself the same day. Sometimes it's so good at distance that you keep on going for a while at speed before you reach the cop. I tried several ones but not as good. Here in PR there are many hiils and curves and no other radar got signal before a curve or hill.
Even with the hidden display though, you need the main module on the visor at least in order to catch the signal efficiently. The good thing is that it comes with phone-style cable wiring to do a clean disimulated install.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:08 PM
jnnking
Addict
Rennlist Member

My '95 came with the dual, hidden K-40. I use everytime I drive, why not I figure. But the V1 does get high praise. I'd probably get that if I was looking to buy one.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:24 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a V1 hardwired into the car. However, when I travel in states where detectors are banned, I disconnect it and store it away from view and travel just with the CB radio (isn't worth the trouble to find out what the fine is for using a detector in a state where they're banned).
Old 08-04-2005, 06:29 PM
mborkow
Drifting

i borrowed a friend's v1 for about a month. it works great when cops use radar, but, in my neck of the woods, that is not how cops bust you. they simply pace you from behind for a few miles and then pull you over. during the whole month i never once got a real blip from a cop (that was about 2000k miles) that being said, during that time i took one trip out to sac and (there and back) there were 7 speed traps and the v1 saved me each and every time.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:31 PM
MonkeyBoy
Racer

The only ticket I got in the last 6 years was during the week that my V1 was in the shop. I won't drive without it.

Quick Reply: Do you use a Radar Detector ?