Do you use a Radar Detector ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 07:11 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ty,

The very first day when I drove my 993 I got stopped. My guess it was because of temp tags. But cop swore I was going 55 in a 25. Actually I did see him and was driving 25. Did not get ticket.

Anyway, I would not risk running a V1 in non legal states. Seems your only option is K-40, watch your mirrors and find a rabbit in front of you. Maybe as I am getting older, I now often get passed by many speeding minivans and SUV's. I have slowed a bit because of all the wackos out there, but still have my V1 as precaution. I really save my speeding for DE.

Good luck with your new ride!
Old 08-04-2005, 08:27 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Those with the K40 -

Do you have a "status chirp" every couple of seconds when the unit is On in either highway mode or city mode??
Old 08-04-2005, 09:00 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by InTheAir
Those with the K40 -

Do you have a "status chirp" every couple of seconds when the unit is On in either highway mode or city mode??
I don't... mine remains relatively quiet most of the time. Probably more annoying in the City, but when I'm alone in the car it doesn't bother me.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:06 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

As the American Express ads used to say, "Don't leave home without it." I don't.

WRT Virginia, get a V1 that is invisible to the VG2 detector detector and mount the radar unit high and use the remote display. If you see it go off, shut it all down. Supposedly, the cops won't confiscate anymore, but I do travel with an old POS detector when I'm hauling through Virginia, jistin case I need to surrender "something".
Old 08-04-2005, 10:42 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just got my Passport 8500 and three wires for stealth, hardwiring in each of my cars. The 993 has the K40 very stealthily installed, but it gives so many false alarms that I hardly use it anymore. I don't feel in the least bit guilty running one in VA. If you contest a radar detector ticket in court, you automatically win, as they don't want it to get apppealed to a higher court, where they know VA's law will be tossed. FCC supercedes state laws. VA's raar detector tickets are an optional tax.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:02 PM
Bill (NC)
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Inthe Air...the chirp you hear is telling you there is a problem with the unit. The one time it happened to me the rear antenna had come disconnected. Pluged it back in (after adding a drop of super glue) and it never came on again.
I travel in Va some and the k40 is the only way to go, they must not have detector detectors, or as K40 techs assured me they cannot tell. I have a V1 and have used them both on some trips (not in Va) and they are about equal, except for the arrows. I like the K40 in the Porsche cause I'm too lazy to take it down every time I stop and don't want some dope to do $1k worth of damage to steal the $400 detector.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:15 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, Bill.

I recently noticed a wire hanging down near the engine and asked the P-tech to check it out when he was recently doing the convertible top recall. The wire was melted on one side. It turned out to be part of the rear detection unit. Soooo, I suspect that I have a problem with the rear detection unit that is causing the chirping. As I'm typing this, I also recall passing the automatic doors at Costco and the front detector went off. As I passed, I waited for the rear to come on...but nothing.

Hmmmm, now I need to figure out where I can get it serviced/checked out.

Thanks again, Bill
Old 08-05-2005, 08:39 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Another vote for V1 here.....I do not drive without it....except when I enter VA....then I switch off and put it away.....I have heard all sorts of stories about the cops taking peoples radar detectors.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:51 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

David, in VA they give it back if you ask for it. They're really only out for the folks who don't know what the cops are doing is itself illegal.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:58 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Rick
Thats nice to know ...... however I am not sure I want to argue with them about something like this I as I am sure they would then "be on the look out" for you and life could become intolerable. Do you have experience of anybody in this situation????
Old 08-05-2005, 09:38 AM
Bill (NC)
Racer

The catch is the judge gives it back to you wen you waste a day going to court. I had one of the orginal Fuzzbusters taken way back when they first came out.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:55 AM
Ty Smith
Instructor

Thanks for all the comments.

My thoughts were to get it built in and make it permanent. My defense would be I bought this car and it was installed.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:03 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I know they used to give it back after you went to court, but I've heard recently that they will give it back if you ask for it while the cop is still there. The routine is that they take it to their car and record the serial no. and don't bring it back with them. If you ask them for it, they go get it and hand it back to you. I believe the ticket is $60 and you will have to pay it or go to court to fight it. Still, I don't think any speeding ticket is that cheap. And I'm one of those county pains in the as$es. I fight every ticket and make sure the county loses money on me, no matter what. I have only ever once come away without at least a big reduction in fine and points. I usually win though.

Tomorrow, when I drive the 75 miles out to Summit Point for my DE, I will run my detector. Rt. 7 out there is straight, flat and totally empty. Yes, the donut squad send their goons out there on DE days to get some money. This time I will see them before they have time to wipe the powdered sugar from their lips.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:36 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Here is what I found to be the very best of hidden installs:
http://www.aidesign.com/whatsNew/whatsNew_project_2.htm

Since you are up there it would be interesting to see what these guys can do for our 993's. I called them and asked them if they can design something for our 993's and they said they certainly can but they have to have the car which is way too far away for me.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:45 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Detectors that detect detectors. That's intense.

Quick Reply: Do you use a Radar Detector ?