Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you use a Radar Detector ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 12:56 PM
flatair
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just buy a scanner that detects police repeaters, it'll let you know if a police car is in a 3 mile radius area.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:12 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flatair
Just buy a scanner that detects police repeaters, it'll let you know if a police car is in a 3 mile radius area.
That's the beauty of a V1 - it tells you where they are (arrows) how far away they are (signal strength) and how many there are (number of "bogeys" displayed).

If I am on I-5 heading South and I have a scanner that picks up a CHP 2.5 miles West of me (not that I would know that that is where they are, but just of the sake of discussion), why do I want to know that?
Old 08-05-2005, 04:36 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, quick question on hardwiring here. For just mounting the detector unit on the windshield, near the rear view mirror, where do you tap in for the wiring? Any ground and any hot? Where's the bets place?
Old 08-05-2005, 05:39 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the Hard wire V1 article in Robin's DIY section at:
www.p-car.com
Old 08-05-2005, 07:48 PM
flatair
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the beauty of a V1 - it tells you where they are (arrows) how far away they are (signal strength) and how many there are (number of "bogeys" displayed).

If I am on I-5 heading South and I have a scanner that picks up a CHP 2.5 miles West of me (not that I would know that that is where they are, but just of the sake of discussion), why do I want to know that?
Very good points - that's why you have both The V1 is fabulous, and the extra directional information can be useful in some situations, but

a) If your in VA, you can still operate the scanner with the radar detector off. No worries about VG2 and whether or not they can pick up on a V1, no worries about visual spotting. Still get some warning.

b) If they tag you with laser, the V1 *might* just do a good job at telling you you just got tagged. Of course the flashing lights in your rear view are usually more reliable

At least with a scanner, if you're doing some high speed distance driving, you'll know you're probably ok if you have the scanner tuned in. If it alerts you, then start paying attention to your V1 (and brake lights).

Old 08-05-2005, 11:10 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flatair
Very good points - that's why you have both...
Do you have a scanner mounted in your car? I have a BCT8 that is waiting to be installed but I can't figure out a location for it. Otherwise I'll just stick with the portable scanner.

Quick Reply: Do you use a Radar Detector ?