993 Forum 1995-1998

Is any of this real leather ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 03:01 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Question Is any of this real leather ??

My 993 has none of the fancy interior options and the basic 'comfort' seats ... it appears that the seat surfaces may actually be leather, but the rest of the interior, including the rear mini-seats and even the steering wheel cover, are probably some sort of synthetic substance (a al Naugahyde )

Obviously, I will keep the seats in shape with a good leather products like Connolly's Hide Food ... has anyone found something that it is beneficial for the rest of these surfaces, including the headliner?

Old 07-25-2005, 04:10 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rennlist "interior vinyl protection" thread.

Autopia.org detailing website.

Rennlist "Concours & Car Care" forum.

There are past Rennlist threads listing what's leather in the interior. I don't have any more time to search, maybe you can give it a try.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:48 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Doug,

As you stated, the 'basic' interior has leather ONLY on the seat and back faces of the seats. Most guys use Lexol Leather Conditioner on these surfaces and Vinylex everywhere else, including the headliner. That's the procedure I use for my interior care.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:50 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Consider yourself lucky.
You have the coveted "light weight" interior option.
There is a guy selling a NOS leather stitched center console on eBay for $999, buy it now. EECH!
Old 07-25-2005, 05:14 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The steering wheel, front seat area including bolsters, shift boot are leather. Some of the emergency brake handles are leather too.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:03 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Shift boots are leather? I'm pretty sure mine is made from the pelts of butchered Naugies, but i could be wrong. Maybe they varied.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:37 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Useful links from Dan above .... seems listers vote for either Aerospace 303 or Vinylex for the mainly synthetic surfaces in our cars ... and, for those of you from Canada, the former is available at both Lordco and Canadian Tire ...
Old 07-25-2005, 07:37 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Shift boots are leather? I'm pretty sure mine is made from the pelts of butchered Naugies, but i could be wrong. Maybe they varied.
Maybe because I have upgraded shift ****, but mine is leather. To tell leather from vinyl press your fingernail into the surface If the mark disappears in a second or two it is vinyl. If it remains for longer it is leather. Face of the seats is usually leather, the side of the bolsters and seat back are vinyl. Everything in the back is vinyl.

Quick Reply: Is any of this real leather ??