Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the best way to turn off interior lights when charging battery (i searched)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 01:46 PM
LT1
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default What's the best way to turn off interior lights when charging battery (i searched)

My battery charging efforts are taking longer than expected because the interior lights are stealing energy from the charger. How do I keep the hood open and not have the hood/interior lights on?
Old 07-25-2005, 01:49 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems surpising to me that that light could draw enough to make a difference in charging. Why not remove the bulb or the fuse?
Old 07-25-2005, 01:52 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LT1
My battery charging efforts are taking longer than expected because the interior lights are stealing energy from the charger. How do I keep the hood open and not have the hood/interior lights on?

why not just take the battery out of the car?
Old 07-25-2005, 01:53 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I beleive you can unplug the switch for the hood light (well you can on a 964 anyway). The connection is near the left hood shock by the switch.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:10 PM
Racer944
Racer

Can you not just close the hood to the first catch? The gap left is enough that the battery cables would not get pinched and I believe the hood light will be off at this point... but I could be wrong since I'm new to 993's.

Eric
Old 07-25-2005, 02:32 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just push the trunk latch down w/your finger until it catches (w/the trunk lid up). You'll have to remember to pull the trunk lid release before you close the lid. I do it all the time.

Originally Posted by Racer944
Can you not just close the hood to the first catch?
No. The light will not go off until the latch locks if it's properly adjusted.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:36 PM
cladd
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner!
Old 07-25-2005, 03:36 PM
BIG-BRO
Racer

The interior lights (over doors) are like most "dome" lights - you can manually turn them on or off or to "door" position. just "rock" the light itself to switch. I routinely do this when working on the interior of car. And yes, pull the plug or bulb for the trunk light.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:44 PM
Racer944
Racer

Thanks Dan;

I learned something new as well with this thread. Guess the light contact is in the latch mechanism itself. I'll use your latch trick if I ever need to do this.

Cheers;
Eric
Old 07-25-2005, 05:19 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As info, you can also push with your fingers the latch for the engine compartment to shut light off.
I sometimes keep the hood, trunk and door latches ajar when car is in storage.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:09 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

If the dome lights are having an affect on your charging, you need a new charger. Good chargers are rated from 20-40 continuous amps. 2-4 amp chargers are a waste of money, if that's what you're using.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:47 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As "BIG BRO" sez, overhead/interior lights should be able to be manually turned off by rocking the housing - works on every 911 I've had thru my '95 993.

For the trunk light, gotta find a way to get the lid closed or tape the switch in the closed position. Otherwise, I believe even though you remove the bulb in the trunk, the engine compartment light will still come on (trunk/engine/interior lights all seem to be wired together).

Why these lights are making a difference in a charging effort I haven't a clue, unless you're using a trickle charger (which you're liable to burn out trying to do a full charge) or have one real junky charger.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:27 PM
LT1
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

[QUOTE=Dan 96C2 St.Louis]Just push the trunk latch down w/your finger until it catches (w/the trunk lid up). You'll have to remember to pull the trunk lid release before you close the lid. I do it all the time.

That was the trick I was looking for! I think it took me between 1 and 2 seconds to turn off my trunk light and interior lights in one move! Thanks, LT
Old 07-26-2005, 12:31 AM
911pcars
Racer

Some misnomers.

A large capacity charger, if it doesn't have any temperature sensing or automatic current charging adjustment capability, can overheat and damage a battery.

A trickle charger will not destroy itself in an attempt to revive a dead battery. It'll just take longer (assuming the battery can take a charge). In fact, make sure the trickle charger has a "float" circuit that reduces the charge level after the battery is fully charged.

Another option is to remove the ground (neg.) battery cable when charging. This is a good idea if you're using a large capacity charger. Electronics are sensitive to high voltage and current.

Sherwood
Old 07-26-2005, 01:11 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan 96C2 St.Louis
Just push the trunk latch down w/your finger until it catches (w/the trunk lid up). You'll have to remember to pull the trunk lid release before you close the lid. I do it all the time.

No. The light will not go off until the latch locks if it's properly adjusted.
EXACTLY as Dan says. I do it all the time while working on these cars. Just have to remember to -open- the latch before trying to close the lid (front or back). Never a problem!

Quick Reply: What's the best way to turn off interior lights when charging battery (i searched)