Ruf Spoiler Activation Module

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 10:22 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Ruf Spoiler Activation Module

A while ago there was some discussion of Ruf's module or hacking ours so it would do the same thing. I think the conclusion was ours could not be hacked or no one knew how to do it.

I would like one but don't think I want to pay $345. Is anyone else interested in one of these. Below is what I got in response to and email to Ruf about the module.

"Ruf do offer a spoiler activation module, it changes the spoiler
elevation speed from 50 MPH to 75 MPH and will lower the spoiler at 45
mph. The module is in stock and is a plug and play option.

The price was $325.00 USD, Shipping and handling is $20.00 USD"
Old 05-05-2004, 10:39 PM
PK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one of those Ruf modules. I know it's kind of expensive at $345 a pop (paid $255 last year) but it's worth it. The constant rear spoiler going up and down and up and down was driving me crazy especially on local streets. So at the time was either the Ruf Module or a Turbo tail. But a Turbo tail on a narrow bodied 993???....I don't think so.

Bottom line: get the module, you'll be happy with it.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:36 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 60 Posts

I think you would have to remove the microprocessor from a Ruf unit, copy it, remove the original microprocessor, then solder in the Ruf copy. ??? just guessing. My work stopped when I got the case cover off not my field of expertise. I don't even know if i can spell microprocessor LOL

I did take a couple of pictures of them side by side though:

:

max
Old 05-05-2004, 11:53 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'd like one if we could do something about the price......a little steep for what it does IMHO. Perhaps one of our EE type members could figure out a rework such as an remap .

Old 05-06-2004, 12:28 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even EE types would have trouble "reverse engineering" from a side by side photo. I have the wiring diagram that shows a black box titled "Control Unit Rear Spoiler". In the old days, you could take the number of the chip and look up the manufactures data sheet and more times than not, follow the logic. I would not think it would be a proprietary piece but who knows.
Could it be a simple as halving the speed signal? Sure wish I had a scope on hand. Hey, do they still use oscilloscopes? Dating myself I guess.

Dave
Old 05-06-2004, 12:31 AM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow. I can't believe it requires all that circuitry to detect a speed and activate the appropriate relay. Max: if you still have the units open, it'd help if you can write down the numbers on the big black chip. You'd have to peel the sticker off the OEM unit.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:38 AM
lexpilot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the 996 the rear spoiler extends at 75 mph and retracts at 37 mph. Not likely but will a 996 part be cheaper than the RUF unit ?

Quick Reply: Ruf Spoiler Activation Module