Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Readiness codes driving me crazy....

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 06:56 PM
sojglenn
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Readiness codes driving me crazy....

I can't seem to get the readiness codes to clear on my car. I bought my car a few weeks ago out of state, and when i brought it to get tested for MA emissions, it failed due to the following readiness codes not being ready:

Catalytic Converter
Evaporative system
Secondary Air Injection
Oxygen Sensors
Oxygen Heat Sensors

The rest of the codes are "ready" or "N/A". When i brought the car in for its 30K service, the only fault code were ones related to power failure. So it looks like the battery was disconnected at some point, causing the readiness codes to reset. I went out and bought an OBD scanner today, and nothing i do seems to clear the codes. I can't imagine why Porsche thought it made sense to make these things so difficult to set.

I have attempted the reset procedure detailed in the archives as best i can living near the city and all, but it is difficult not to have to stop at some points during the sequence. But i have been driving around under 3000 RPMs a lot, letting it idle for a few minutes every time i start the car, and it just doesn't seem to make a difference. NOT ONE of the codes that is listed as "not ready" has changed state. Anybody with any ideas out there? I am ready to give the car to the dealer and have them figure it out. I have a temporary two month sticker, so i could always just drive around normally for a month to see if they clear on their own. But i hate the bit "R" sticker i have to drive around with.

BTW - If any of you remember, the rattle i was experiencing was due to a missing bolt on one of the exaust support brakets. Hopefully that will help someone else out at some point looking for a similar problem.

-Steve
Old 07-16-2005, 09:30 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure what car/year you are dealing with....but if it is a '97 993, the codes may never reset. In fact, in the Sate of NJ, if you come into an Inspection shop with a '97 993 and have readiness code problems, they will send you out on a failed sticker with the instructions to drive at least 250 miles and report back. If the codes don't reset, the State will pass you with a two year sticker if you sign a waiver (saying you tried everything) and the Inspection Shop calls the DMV headquarters and asks for the special dispensation.

Just got my two year sticker that way on Thursday of this week.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:52 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi:

Some '96's seemed like they never would reset ALL of the readiness codes but the '97 cars were OK.

Without a doubt, its a real hassle and damned tricky to follow the prescribed procedures to get them all reset and it usually takes more miles than the specification calls for.

I've also done this on a Dynojet chassis dyno as I can control the variables quite closely.

Patience is well rewarded in this regard,.....
Old 07-17-2005, 01:42 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm happy that the State of NJ thinks it is a problem with '97s!.....new 2 year stickerobtained last Thursday without codes reset.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:06 PM
ecobb993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve,

Y'a better watch out, Loren will come git you for using the wrong terminology (like he did me) :

"Readiness states are SET when the OBDII conditions are met.
Readiness states are RESET when the CEL fault is reset OR if the OBDII conditions
are NOT met or if the DME is disconnected or loses backup power.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:41 PM
Mdrury
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I wouldn't claim to have the recipe for how to guarantee a result, but from personal experience I could pretty much guarantee that the readiness codes will NOT set unless you put in enough drive cycle time at under 3000rpm and 60MPH. The odd slip up seems to be all it takes to negate your efforts.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:42 PM
coltj
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, I completed the cycle successfully the first time I tried it about 2 months ago. Parked the car('96 TT, 6-speed) on a Saturday morning at the Framingham-Natick rest stop on the WEST bound side of the Mass Pike. Parked the car strategically(backed into parking space with a direct shot to the entrance ramp). Left the car for about 10 hours, then did the cycle Saturday evening. All in all, it was not that difficult. The only unnerving parts were 1) doing 30 mph in the breakdown lane for about 3 minutes and 2) idling in the breakdown lane for 5 minutes. Hope this helps.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:47 PM
sojglenn
Rennlist Member

So i guess it is not ok to STOP during the sequence (for example at a stop sign or traffic light)? Is there any requirement that the AC be turned on? (I have see other drive sequences which requires the AC)?

Thanks.

-Steve
Old 07-19-2005, 05:26 PM
mborkow
Drifting

"So i guess it is not ok to STOP during the sequence"
i stopped during the sequence and i was still able to reset the ready codes.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:54 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Angry

I wonder how many dishonest sellers do this. Reset the CE light before the sale b/c it was indicating SAI problem. The unlucky owner would not know until it was too late.

Is there a way besides taking it to a smog station to see if the CE was recently reset or the readiness code is not set?

---
anthony
Afraid of post-95 993s.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:58 PM
ecobb993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by axl911
I wonder how many dishonest sellers do this. Reset the CE light before the sale b/c it was indicating SAI problem. The unlucky owner would not know until it was too late.
I'm fairly certian the dealer did this on mine. I complained (although I didn't know how much the permanent fix would cost at the time) and he reimbursed me $500.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:06 PM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by axl911
Is there a way besides taking it to a smog station to see if the CE was recently reset or the readiness code is not set?
Using good OBDII code reader(for example, this one) you can check readiness code and see if all of them(including SAI) are set.

There is no way, however, to tell how recently they were set. That means that if on a given car it takes some time(day/week/...) for SAI code to reset (SAI blockage is not very bad), then seller could reset(disconnect the battery) and set the codes(using the driving cycle procedure) just before PPI.
The same trick can be used to maneuver around state inspection.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:10 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

JC, that sucks!!!

This info should be in a list of pre-buy checks. Or at least a code scan should be a part of the PPI.

----
anthony
Old 07-19-2005, 08:08 PM
coltj
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to everything I've heard, including from the esteemed Mr. Weiner, no you can't stop during or deviate from the cycle. FWIW I didn't have the AC on, although I don't know if it really matters.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:00 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve,

I had the EXACT same problem. Read through this post I had back from 2003 and see if it helps... it is evidence for your dealer if nothing else.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...&highlight=obd

Feel free to ask more questions about my experience or PM me if you need to.

Quick Reply: Readiness codes driving me crazy....