adding crankcase cleaner prior to oil change

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 12:11 AM
joon
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adding crankcase cleaner prior to oil change

i see lots of people here do their own oil changes. my question is that if anyone adds stuff to clean out or dissolve gunk in their crankcase, like stuff you see at auto stores that help remove buildup by adding into engine then running it, and draining the oil, before adding new oil.

i used to do that to my other cars, add a can of gunk crank case cleaner, run it for 10 minutes then change oil...but for my 993, i wonder if that ok?

if there is a product out there that you would use on your 993, or if even necessary, please let me knw. thanks!!!
Old 07-06-2005, 12:35 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Just my two cents, but I wouldn't add any of this type product to a Porsche engine, or any other modern engine for that matter. Surely you have been using a top-quality, high-detergent oil, which keeps the engine quite clean. If there were any deposits in the engine, you are probably better off to leave them where they are, rather than put them in circulation where they can find their way into the valve lifters or some other place where they can do some real harm.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:24 AM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bobby hit that one on the head...
PLus, you can spring a leak if you unintentionally remove deposits that were previously blocking seals or mating surfaces. but the bigger hazard is having crap plugging a piston squirter or some other vital oil passage.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:35 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

Another note, our engine are dry sumps.. There isn't the oil sludging capacity of a V8 in the basement.. All the oil is stored in the oil tank in your right side quarter panel.. The only cleaning additive that I would use is techron..
Old 07-06-2005, 10:39 AM
joon
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey All, thanks for the info.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:56 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Mobil 1 as an example include cleaning agents with the oil. So I would just change oil and filters more frequently to get to the desired results.

Quick Reply: adding crankcase cleaner prior to oil change