Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Give credit where its due ,thanks a lot
Old 03-17-2014, 11:01 PM
VintageRacer477
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ed devinney
Bruce, I am indeed a former 993 owner, but I'll be picking up a '96 Aventurine Green coupe on Monday - back in the saddle again!

I was going to do a DIY muffler rework a la RSRs, but the external bypass is nice and simple. And allows for the cutout... I looked at using Quicktime Performance's valve, available for about $300 the pair. That takes a standard hotrod 3-bolt flange of 2.25". Not knowing what size the 993 pipe is, I assumed it would need a couple of adapters, which are more expensive than straight tube - is the 993 tube also 2.25"? This would reduce cost considerably.

So then one has a variable valve in the exhaust, able to go from full muffler to full bypass. Add a rheostat or multiposition switch over the radio and voila. Quiet in the nabe, loud on the road, open on the track...
Ed,

Did you ever do a valve install? I just went through this thread start to finish & didn't notice that anyone ever did that.

Also - someone asked about dyno checks. Anyone ever do before/after dyno runs???
Old 03-18-2014, 08:31 PM
kml
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VintageRacer477
Did you ever do a valve install? I just went through this thread start to finish & didn't notice that anyone ever did that.
I did. System similar to 996 with PSE. In my opinion it's a waiste of time and money. You will never switch it to 'silent' mode. I never finally wired mine, only tested by connecting/disconnecting the vacuum.

Quick Reply: Project muffler modification -Complete