Project muffler modification -Complete

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 11:24 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Leland Pate
I wish I knew, I've never seen RSR mufflers. Someone in a more civilized (993 rich environment) will have to comment on the comparison.
Unbelievable !! You've never seen RSR mufflers ? How quickly you forget ??
Or, are you you trying to bait me 'er somethin' ?

Seriously Lee....I am amazed....your work sounds great. BETTER, IMO than my RSR's...for real brother....NICE JOB !!!

Now, get yourself back to Richmond so you can show me the way to LPMM land would ya !!!!

PS....thanks for the Limited Edition 911 HotWheels...the boys love 'em. I've kept one pack sealed, as a collectors item.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:56 AM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Christ, I didn't know you had RSR's Keith. I thought they were just motorsound. I think I'm going to sell the pair I have and get my second set of gilettes professionally fabed with 2" pipe and compare the two. I do like them a lot.

And I meant to PM you about those hot wheels. I'm glad you liked them. They don't even come close to what you and your wife have done for me, but I thought they would make for a cool collection in years to come. I sacked the shelf of every major store for two weeks looking for every one I could get my hands on. I managed to find six, and I've given all but one away.
I am trying like mad to get back to the east coast. If all goes as planned, I'll be in the DC area for 6 or 7 months going to this school in March.
Please give Denise my regards,

Lee
Old 09-17-2005, 10:16 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

HTML Code:
LPMM's
[url]http://www.manmicro.com/porsche/muffler/bypass.wmv[/url]
Just a test... trying to figure out how to get the link in my signature.

EDIT: got it.

Last edited by Leland Pate; 09-17-2005 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:35 AM
yank
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This sounds like a great mod, has any one been on the dyno after they have done these? just curoius if it would increase or even decrease the power output? regards Greg
Old 09-24-2005, 01:42 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any resonance issues?
Old 09-24-2005, 12:35 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

I have had ZERO resonance with my modified mufflers. I used 1.5" pipe for the bypass. Several other guys wnet ahead and used 2" pipe. Hopefully some of them will speak up and report their findings. I have not heard anyone complain of resonance but can't speak to it first hand.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:00 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

Absolutely ZERO resonance..... Just a nice low growl... and those wonderful "pops" as you left off the gas....

Pete... I might make the next OCR breakfast meet.... I'll can bring the car and you can check 'em out!

Shoot me a PM with the date/time/location and I'll make all effort to get there.

Clive
Old 09-24-2005, 03:30 PM
zffnhsn
Rennlist Member

U DA MAN!!
Old 11-12-2005, 02:47 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Guys,

Any updated sound clips?

Cheers,

David
Old 11-14-2005, 11:34 AM
kmatts
Racer

Lee, or anyone that has performed this mod. would doing this mod. internally be possible?
I'm going to open up and gut my exhaust anyhow. so i thought perhaps i could use the 2" pipe (or 1.5) internally only. i'm thinking, gut the exhaust to take the weight out of it....then do the custom internal bypass and close it all back up. looks stock, but doesn't weigh as much & much better sound.
what you guys think?
Old 11-14-2005, 12:08 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

That would work easily. The only reason I didn't install the by-pass pipe internally was because I had already opened them up once (stage I) to rewprk some of the internals. I didn't feel like going through all the work again (cutting, cutting, cutting, pulling, yanking, welding, welding) so I just put the by-pass pipe on the outside as a beta muffler.

When you open them up, you'll see there is a small by-pass pipe from the factory. You could remove it and mount a 1.5/2.0 in bypass pipe in it's place.

My only question is if you are planning on removing everything inside the muffler, what are you going to bypass? Perhaps I should ask, what exactly are you planning on removing from the internals? Just the fiberglass packing or the packing, pipes and support?
Old 11-14-2005, 12:17 PM
zffnhsn
Rennlist Member

kmats: If you are going to open the mufflers and remove the internals then you don't need the bypass. They will be plenty loud enough. The bypass system is nice because it doesn't required cutting the mufflers in half and welding them back together. By the way, I took my mufflers apart only removing the internal steel wool insulation, I left the pipes intact as built. It improved the sound without making the car obnoxiously loud, old school so to speak. If you are planning along the same lines, a little more sound can be achieved by removing the end of the perforated pipe. I think it would produce a louder, deeper note at an idle.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:50 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Leland, exactly where did you open the muffler up? I'm interested in either doing an internal bypass, or gutting them. Which do you suggest?
Old 11-21-2005, 09:33 PM
CentralCoastC4S
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the latest version of my trial muffler experiments. The first set I posted earlier with the external by-pass. They are on the car now and sound pretty good. I thought I'd try the internal mod, sent a pair to my friend at a local shop and he cut them open and removed the baffling so that the two pipes have nothing between them to block flow. Wish I had photos of the internal to show but I know there is little to block flow between the two. Just got them back from Cap's Bright Hot Coatings in Fresno (about 160.00 for the pair) and here's what they look like. I'll install thim in the next day or so and report on the sound.
Attached Images   
Old 11-21-2005, 10:11 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Wow, those look great!

Quick Reply: Project muffler modification -Complete