SAI Flush Update - 24K miles later

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 12:08 AM
Randy M '96 Silver 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking SAI Flush Update - 24K miles later

I just received my car back from Hergesheimer for some unrelated repairs and they said they measured the blockage and their is no new blockage (or at least very minimal) since they did the flush 24K miles ago.

This is good news to me. I get to postpone that dreaded Top End rebuild for a little while longer.

For those on the fence with the CEL on, I highly recommend the flush service.

AS ALWAYS, YMMV. No affiliation, just a happy customer.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:19 AM
cfdarch
Addict
Rennlist Member

hey Randy,

Any idea how Hergesheimer measures the blockage???? Is it an easy or difficult thing to do????

thanks in advance
Old 06-30-2005, 01:47 AM
Laura
Pro

We were very happy with readings we received on Randy's car. This car had severe blockage in both banks at 60K. Like many cars out there, you can only let the problem go so far until that smog inspection is due. We have done quite a bit of research on the SAI (you can find many posts here) and felt there was a better way to deal with it than having to perform an premature valve job. A flush was performed, new valve installed, and 24K later one bank shows very, very little blockage and the second bank shows slight blockage (nothing to get worried about).

You need to use the PST computer for testing and evaluation.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:01 AM
cfdarch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Laura, thanks for the response....how long does it take to run the test??? And under what circumstances beyond this instance do you run it???

thanks in advance
Old 06-30-2005, 02:24 AM
Laura
Pro

15 minutes. We have always run engine diagnostics for the majority of cars in this shop as an aid in diagnosis as well as for informational and research purposes. With the SAI problem becoming more frequent as mileage on these cars increases, and trying help our customers have an alternative to having a premature valve job, we are now testing all 993's in this way.

Most shops and dealers, and ours previously, would perform the first level of testing but if no faults were stored (without CE light illuminated), short test was successful, you continued on to other functions. I think to answer your question, it is not a test you would normally do unless you knew you were dealing with SAI problem (ie. CEL with fault codes).

I hope this helps, I am not a tech, I just run the place, but I am a pretty good sponge !
Old 06-30-2005, 02:48 AM
cfdarch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Laura thanks....

Me no tech either...I run a place but when people refer to my sponge like qualities I suspect they speak of my backbone Does your test determine the approximate % of blockage??? As much as I can tell everyones SAI ports are always in the process of filling up with carbon deposits...and presumbably with enough data points one would be able to predict @ what % of blockage +/- one would experience the CEL. Also as I understand from past posts...the more blockage the more difficult to cleanout. Therefore perhaps one could reasonably do a cleanout prior to the CEL, at a time when it is easier to do so. OK...now I have fully exposed my lower form of thinking have at it!!!
Old 06-30-2005, 05:08 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Laura
You need to use the PST computer for testing and evaluation.
Laura,
Are you activating the auxiliary air pump and then watching the oxygen sensor regulation and sensor voltage?
Old 06-30-2005, 08:16 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Laura
How do you "flush".....is it easy, do you have a proceedure written down that others could try?
Old 06-30-2005, 01:47 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 128 Posts

There is a great write-up on one method of doing an SAI flush on p-car.com.

http://p-car.com/diy/sai/1/sai.htm

I have no experience with this, but it appears to be a sound way of cleaning out the system. You will still have to reset the CEL however... if it has already tripped.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:26 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The DIY that you refer to is dated 10/04. Does any one know if this is essentially the same procedure that Hergesheimer performs?
Old 06-30-2005, 02:33 PM
dhicks
Drifting

TomF, thanks for the link.....only question is that if it is this easy why does everybody with the CEL issue not do this??
Craig, same question to Hergesheimer?

I know there is a place in Ca (otto's) that has great success with an overnight clean using various carbon eaters.....it costs about $1K to have done....which is $4K less than valve guide job
Old 06-30-2005, 03:34 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dhicks, yep I was wondering IF it's the same procedure and IF Randy M's results can be considered typical. If a person was inclined to DIY and had the tools and ability/patience, would their results be similar?
Old 06-30-2005, 08:34 PM
Laura
Pro

Our flush is different than both Ottos and the flush suggested by Mr. Reiser. Similar, but we do have our secrets and try to improve on it every flush we do. It is very labor intensive and makes a big mess. To get the results we do, I am not sure it could be accomplished as a DYI. For accessibility you need the car on a lift to have easy access over and under at the same time, recirculating pumps with high volume and catch tanks, high PSI, great air circulation from fans for fumes... I would never allow anyone to do this in my garage at home!
Old 06-30-2005, 08:43 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi Laura,

Do you know of any shops in Northern Cal (Bay Area) that you would recommend going to, to have this procedure done. Or would I have to go all the way down South to have it done by you and Mark.

Thanks,
Scott

P.S. Knock on Wood I don't have to get it done, but if I ever do. I would like to know where I can go in advance.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:45 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Laura
If only you were closer! You fancy licensing out your process to somebody up here in DC or MD? I am sure there must be lots of people that would be interested in having this done?
David

Quick Reply: SAI Flush Update - 24K miles later