Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfire/Breakdown & Attempted breakin!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 08:59 PM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Misfire/Breakdown & Attempted breakin!

Hello, here I am again having problems with my car, I must have the worst luck in the world with cars. Firstly two weeks ago the oil cooler fan decides not to blow on low speed, causing the engine to over heat. This problem I have temporarily fixed by disconnecting the temp sensor wire leaving the fan on full until i can have the resistor replaced. I have also had an oil leak from the top valve covers, which was fixed today along with a broken spoiler wall.

Imagine, if you will, my utter dismay this morning, when opening the passenger door to put my bag on the seat i find the door unlocked, "oh dear I must have forgotten to lock it" I thought to myself (having checked all my belongings were still in place). I went to open the drivers door and it won't open! Some rotten little git has ripped out my lock barrel and pulled the handle a little way out of the door, leaving that handle useless. They had managed to get it unlocked but messed up the handle on that side so couldn't open the door! GRRRRR!!!To make matters worse they also broke the window guide, rendering the window useless. I couldn't even have a cigerette out of my window to clam myself down!

On the way to the garage, still fuming over the knackered lock and window, my car starts running really rough like it's not firing on all cylinders. A few miles down the road and the engine conks out completely while turning at an intersection! I manage to push it to the side of the road safely, and have great difficulty re-starting it, lots of gas and spluttering and it sounds like an old VW beetle at this point, but i manage to get it going. I eventually get it to the garage having konked out a further three times en route. The mechanic improved things slightly, but we can't figure out what this problem was, it seems better but not quite right, the distributors seem fine and the battery is fine but we are stumped. Any suggestions?

What a bad day. I'll stop ranting now.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:24 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Gabi:

Man, I'm so sorry to hear of your run of bad luck. They say bad (good) things come in 3's so after this, you should enjoy good karma for the forseeable future.

Have your mechanic check the basics; DME relay, alternator/voltage regulator, battery cables, etc.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:46 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 258 Posts

Wow, awful string of bad luck - very sorry to hear! I agree with Steve- this should be the last of 'em and you should have nothing but smooth sailing after this.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:57 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

My sincere condolences. You've had a pretty bad day there. Good luck with it all.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:45 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
My sincere condolences. You've had a pretty bad day there. Good luck with it all.
Exactly as Mark says.. Hope its something simple!!
Old 06-30-2005, 08:41 AM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

It's got to get better. You should also check the spark plug cables and connections.

Al
Old 06-30-2005, 09:28 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear about this. Do you think maybe the break-in attempt and the rough running could be related? Too much of a coincidence. Some punks will do all kind of stuff to a car if they can't steal it. Sort of saying.."If I can't have it, then I'll mess you up".

I had a similar situation long time ago, they could not take the car so they poured sugar in my gas tank. It did a lot of damage to the fuel system, injectors, etc.

Make sure your mechanic looks for signs of tampering in your engine, wires, etc.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:34 AM
Racer944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cabrio993;

I agee, and its exactly what I was going to mention.

Check the fuel filler area and the gas for any signs of contaminents. Sounds like a bit too much of a coincidence for me. Would also fit the bill in that the ran fine for a short period...

Good Luck;
Eric
Old 06-30-2005, 12:01 PM
infinii
Instructor

There there. Read this link
it should make you feel less miserable.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:10 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry about your misfortune. Is it possible they messed w/the ignition wiring under the dash?
Hope you find it's a easy fix.

Last edited by Craig Huckins; 06-30-2005 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:03 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It seems the break down may have been due to the wires in the fuse box connected to the DME relay socket being loose, it runs ok now, the lock barrel is on order and the window is going to be fixed at the same time. The oil cooler fan is working after changing the ballast resistor, the spoiler wall is fixed as are the oil leaks.

So, apart from the huge bill that I will enevitable be faced with things are looking up!
Old 07-01-2005, 11:26 AM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Sorry to hear Gabi--as Steve mentioned, don't fret, your bad luck should be behind you now....Karma will come back to get those A-holes that messed with your car, and you will be rewarded in the future for your current misfortune.

Quick Reply: Misfire/Breakdown & Attempted breakin!