Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pad squealing (yes, another thread about this annoyance)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 09:58 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake pad squealing (yes, another thread about this annoyance)

So I've read through all of the previous posts about this horrific and common problem and determined that most people believe that the Textar pads are best for "no squeal" enjoyment of their 993s. I have no idea what pads (they are OEM) are on the front of my car (they were newly installed just before I bought the car three weeks ago) but it squeals like a male cat with its ***** in a vice and is just torturing me. I have chamfered the leading edges, re-sprayed the Wurth anti-squeal crap and cleaned everything up and nothing has changed. I don't like the look of the rotors (some low spots) so I'm going to swap them out for new OEM rotors (Zimmerman supplied I believe) and I have a good local source for pads but only Jurid and Pagid, not the Textars (along with some cheap Metalmasters that I'm not considering). Will I have a squealing problem with the Pagid produced OEM pads if I use new rotors, new backing felts/shims and re-use those round spring-like things?

Help please. I can't take this anymore...
Old 06-27-2005, 10:32 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unknown, but the Textar pads have "TEXTAR" engraved into them. Times I've ordered pads from dealers I've gotten Textar. How do you know you have the OE pads?

Way you say yours are squealing I would bet they're NOT OE, but some competition pads. That's the way my Performance Friction track pads sound; Textars are quiet after the initial light squeal after backing out of the garage.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:36 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn... I've got to go catch me a male cat and hear just what kind of noises your brakes are making.

Are your brakes making noise in stop and go traffic, under hard braking in the canyons or track? I have removed the spiders (round things) on my car and I only have some noise when I brake really hard coming down a canyon road. No noise in stop and go traffic.

I also use a different brake pad... PBR/Axiss Ultimates. I highly recommend this pad for daily driving.

If you need a source for Textars or PBRs, send me a PM.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:44 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Good points/questions above:
1- You're right, I don't know that the existing pads are OEM but was told that they are by the person I bought the car from. He never tracked the car so anything that adds performance is highly unlikely. Anything cheaper than OEM is more than likely the reality since he was doing it strictly for the sale of the car.
2- As for the tyoe of squeal, it happens at slow down on street driving, as I slow down (low speed) and under soft braking. Hard braking produces no sound at all and in fact, I've been stopping short and aggressively toward red traffic lights just to avoid the sound at low speed.
3- Canyons in Toronto? Yeah, right. I wish. The only canyons here are downtown, between the office towers

KKIM, yes, I'd love that source info for the Textar pads (I'll PM you).
Old 06-27-2005, 10:50 AM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Alon,

I would suggest to rebed the brake pads - they might have been slightly glazed. Warm the brakes up(by dragging the brakes) and then do repetitive progressively hard braking without coming to full stop(from 60 to 30, from 60 to 10, from 100 to 30, from 100 to 10), then cool the brakes down by cruising for about 15-20 minutes. See http://www.pagidusa.com/bedding_in_procedure.htm
Old 06-27-2005, 10:55 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

I did exactly that. When I got the car, I noticed that the front rotors must have some low spots because I could see "rings" of rust on the rotors at certain spots after washing the car. Clearly the rotors were not changed and/or machined to create an even surface. I followed those bedding instructions to get them worn a bit and properly bedded in and now those low spots are not visible (rather, the pad has worn to acommodate the uneven surface of the rotors). For this reason, I'm going to just change the rotors and get pads (can't get Textars locally as per my post) but I want to make sure that all the work and money that I'm proposing to spend will result in noise-free brakes.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:15 AM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get the same type of squeaking Alon. I also had the "rings" of rust on the rotors. This was after I had changed to a competition pad. I went back to pads for daily driving but still get the stop and go squeaks. My mechanic feels that the rotors may be slightly warped - causing the the occasional squeak. I have gotten kind of used to it and decided to wait until my rotors go before changing them out.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:18 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Alon,

How many miles (or kms ) do you have on your car?
Old 06-27-2005, 12:03 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

The car now has 48,800 Kilometers on it and the pads are about 1000 KM old (the mileage that I've put on since buying it).

Last edited by Alon; 06-27-2005 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:49 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Update:
Eureka! I found a set of Textars and will be ordering them along with new rotors and pad shims. What kind of glue is needed for the shims? Does everyone recommend that I re-use those round spring-like things as well? I've seen that some people use them and some don't. I'm looking for absolutely no noise.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:56 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My OEM set up = "absolutely no noise."
Old 06-27-2005, 01:02 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Alon, you have a PM.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:09 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Got the PM, thanks.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:48 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally, I find those glue-on shims and the stupid "suction cups" that glue into them and go into the pistons to be an absolute PITA. Then again, I swap back and forth between street and competition pads several times a year. Without their inclusion pad changes are a breeze. I found no difference in squeal with or without them on the street Textar pads (i.e., pads are quiet).

My competition pads squeal like you describe - worst at the end of a mild stop as the car is approaching a complete stop. Feel sorry whenever I've pulled up into a toll booth on a toll road - think I've scared the daylights out of the tolltaker!

All I can say is good luck with your installation, and bed the pads in when complete. Oh, yeah - a safety hint! Once you get the new pads in the pistons will be totally compresed into the calipers. So, the first time you hit the brakes they will go RIGHT to the floor! You have to pump the brakes several times to extract the pistons and bring the pads against the rotor face and take the play out of the installation. Use several short stroke pumps (DON'T pump right to the floor!) till the pedal is firm. THEN go for a drive!
Old 06-27-2005, 02:02 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the tips. I've done brake changes before, just not on this car.

Rotors, Textar pads and shims on order now and should be here tomorrow.

That said, I'm pretty sure that the rears aren't making noise but who knows...

Quick Reply: Brake pad squealing (yes, another thread about this annoyance)