Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Carrier

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 09:12 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Me too, Hey Bob, can you do this for me in the VIR paddock?, haha....that would rock.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:55 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

You'll have to remove the engine carrier to add the doubler like Bob posted.

One thing that I have noticed which stresses these carriers is when a engine mount (not carrier) nut(s) is stuck or really tough to loosen (with std engine fluid filled mounts). This torque in loosening the nut(s) feeds right into each end of the carrier plate. This isnt so much the case with RS mounts as they are through bolted where one must hold the other end of the bolt while loosening the nuts.

I have bent a few carriers local to the round 'eye' upon loosening the two nuts that fasten the engine carrier to the tub.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:40 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can jack up the motor and then remove the engine carrier to do this mod. All in all it is about a 2 hour job.

Sorry Jim, don't think I can do a proper job in the pits. We do have a welder, but just a 110V one for emergency welding...
Old 02-14-2008, 01:47 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Tonight I am installing RS engine mounts in the turbo. My left one is COMPLETELY shot / empty / leaking -- I noticed both sides were tired, but the left being so bad that when I lowered the car back onto the ground I noticed the engine clunked downwards about an inch.

Anyhow, while I am at this point, I pulled the engine carrier to have a look for cracks and with the intent to take it into work to let our magicians (fabricators) have there way with it by adding a doubler to add some strength.

After looking at the engine carrier closely, it seems to be already done by the factory. I figured it was just like the NA cars, but not so.

Here are a few pictures showing the differences between the 993 NA and the turbo carriers:

Old 02-14-2008, 06:17 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Bob, thanks, look forward to meeting you at VIR.

Chris, thanks for the pics., interesting.

I just had my engine out of my car in Dec for my trans rebuild and I should have taken care of this....it did look fine though except a little rust. I have had solid motor mounts for the last 3 years and just got solid trans mounts so this will be on the list to do this year. I need to look at my buddy's Cup 964 Cup car to see if his are any different...just curious about that.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Chris,

Can the Turbo carrier be used on the NA cars? If not, would you be interested in making a run of reinforcements for some of us?
Old 05-26-2009, 10:58 PM
Archilla
Rennlist Member

Default Engine Carrier, 964 vs 993

The 964 and 993 N/A engine carriers look the same except for two differences: 1) the 964 part has an additional bracket for exhaust mounting (which looks easy to remove); 2) the 993 part has two additional holes in the center of the carrier (circled in the attached pic). Any idea what mounts through those 2 additional holes on the 993 carrier, and if the spacing of all the other holes is the same between the 964 and 993 parts? I'm trying to figure out if a carrier from a 964 will fit a 993.
Thanks,
-Ruben

Last edited by Archilla; 05-27-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:16 AM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I got a gusset kit from rennline. I frankly am surprised how little weld is used to support all that weight and torque. Im not sure how the carrier can be removed without dropping the motor. http://www.rennline.com/newssection.asp?dept=808
Old 05-27-2009, 10:35 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tj90
I got a gusset kit from rennline. I frankly am surprised how little weld is used to support all that weight and torque. Im not sure how the carrier can be removed without dropping the motor. http://www.rennline.com/newssection.asp?dept=808
It can be removed without dropping the engine... we have installed the rennline kit this way... remove a bunch-o-stuff then support engine case, unbolt carrier.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Archilla
Rennlist Member

Hi Mark,
Among the bunch-o-stuff that needs to be moved, I assume the catalytic converter is one. What small parts should I plan on having on-hand to replace when I do this job, other than gaskets for the cat?
Below are pics of a carrier froma 964 and 993. Are those additional holes in the 993 carrier necessary or will the 964 part just bolt in once the exhaust hangar is removed?
Different topic...I installed the clear stone guards this weekend and the results are really great. Looks far better than the original silver vinyl. FWIW, my old ones came off without heat in one single piece, although the one on the pass side left quite a bit of adhesive.
Thanks,
-Ruben
Attached Images   
Old 05-27-2009, 02:04 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The 993 also has two extra holes on the top right arm pictured above for mounting the ignition coils.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:09 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Archilla
Hi Mark,
Among the bunch-o-stuff that needs to be moved, I assume the catalytic converter is one. What small parts should I plan on having on-hand to replace when I do this job, other than gaskets for the cat?
Below are pics of a carrier froma 964 and 993. Are those additional holes in the 993 carrier necessary or will the 964 part just bolt in once the exhaust hangar is removed?
Different topic...I installed the clear stone guards this weekend and the results are really great. Looks far better than the original silver vinyl. FWIW, my old ones came off without heat in one single piece, although the one on the pass side left quite a bit of adhesive.
Thanks,
-Ruben
Ruben, yes, cats have to come off... if your exhaust HW is in bad shape you might want some replacement parts there.
Other than that, nothing comes to mind. The rear engine tin needs to come out also. Ultimately, it is the final piece to get the carrier out.

I have never had the 964 and 993 carrier side by side so I'm not sure. IIRC, that is where the cat hangar bolts in.. not sure if the 964 part will bolt in or not.

Good news on the stone guards! Odd that one side was easy and the other required clean up. Usually both sides are similar.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:20 PM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Archilla
Hi Mark,
Thanks,
-Ruben
Ruben,
Make sure you get new bolts for the connecting the cat to the heat exchanger. You'll need 6 of them. The Gillet and Bischoff ones are different. When Mark, Darin and I did my car, one of the bolts broke and the head sheared off. Good thing we had the spares. And don't forget the accompanying gaskets! Good Luck!
Old 05-27-2009, 08:46 PM
tchubacha
Rennlist Member

I am thinking about tackling this rennline carrier mod this weekend also while I have everything apart to do the sai flush, dach sport cat, and RS motor mount install. Parts everywhere! And that's just the back of the car! I will let you know how easy or PITA it is.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:15 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm going to check mine next time the car is near the lift.

Viper Bob, did not see any picture...did I miss something?

Quick Reply: Engine Carrier